This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 01:26:47 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
[post="97991"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I see the ability to join two videos. But is there the ability to but a fade transition between them? I've seen a lot of programs that can join videos together but with no transition effects.
[post="98048"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Instead of questioning everything you could've had your movies ready in half an hour of work (tops) days ago.

Open movie 1.
Apply brightness filters to last 30 frames or so.
Save.
Open movie 2.
Apply brightness filters to first 30 frames or so.
Save.
Append movie 2 to movie 1.
Save.
Done.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Feb 2007 01:27:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 02:10:27 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Those filters are no good. After installing them and trying to import something into windows movie maker the program gets and error and crashes, forcing windows movie maker to close.
Strange, it's the only filter combination I've found that doesn't cause Movie Maker to crash and close (it does import very slowly and breaks the source into multiple 30-second chunks, though).

I'm interested as to how Arcane's method results in a cross-fade :\

Last edited by Guest on 27 Feb 2007 02:11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 02:59:56 pm    Post subject:

A crossfade lowers the brightness of the last few frames of the first movie more and more untill it's completely black, and does the reverse for the first frames of the second movie.

A darker frame: [attachment=1336:attachment]
A darkerer frame: [attachment=1338:attachment]

Now apply the principle of frame-based animation, and you've got a movie fading to complete darkness.

Apply correctly to both files, merge them together and you're done.
benryves

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 06:15:47 am    Post subject:

I got confused and assumed a crossfade as in blending one video source into another, not going via black. However, your method is indeed perfect for Newbie's plight. :)

Sadly the easiest way of doing this via VirtualDub won't work as VirtualDub doesn't like MPEG-2, and VirtualDubMod is based on too old a version to allow filter blending.

If you do have the benefit of working with AVI or MPEG-1, add a Brightness/Contrast filter (setting brightness to -100%), click the "Blend" button, View->Curve Editor and add a curve over the bit you want to fade out;

[attachment=1340:attachment]

Last edited by Guest on 28 Feb 2007 06:16:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 08:43:43 am    Post subject:

Open MPEG2 movie. Save as AVI. Open AVI movie. etc

More advanced filters like merged fading or chesspatterns or whatever can be easily done by extracting the frames, editing them with gimp, then putting them back.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Feb 2007 08:45:17 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 09:20:24 am    Post subject:

If you indeed just convert to AVI, then you can pretty much ignore the rest of this thread and go back to using Windows Movie Maker anyway. Smile
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 10:44:26 am    Post subject:

Unless of course you take into account the fact that Movie Maker sucks pretty bad and doesn't import movies right for Newbie. Does it for anyone? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it without it screwing something up along the way, either in importing, editing, or saving.

Fun fact:
Right now it's trying to import House MD S1E1. Starting and closing the DivX settings manager. Frame by frame. This is slower than recording it from tv again, probably even with waiting untill this episode is re-run.

Last edited by Guest on 28 Feb 2007 10:48:42 am; edited 1 time in total
benryves

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 12:44:37 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
...and doesn't import movies right for Newbie. Does it for anyone?
I believe that's related to the fact that he's trying to import MPEG-2 with dodgy codecs. It works for me; the problem I have with it is that it cuts up my MPEG-2 source files into 30 second chunks.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 01:27:32 pm    Post subject:

I also believe it's due to codecs. But I don't think that Movie Maker screwing up elsewhere in the process for others is much of a reason to use it. ; )
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 05:06:42 pm    Post subject:

It works fine for me, but then again I only edit and save. Only occasional importing. Time for windowsmoviemakers.net maybe?

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 07:56:17 pm    Post subject:

I've got 6 clips all realitively the same length and all made the exact same way. 5 of them import properly but one doesn't. I've tried redoing it, but get the same results. It just makes no sense that 5 would work and one magically doesn't?

Last edited by Guest on 28 Feb 2007 07:57:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Mar 2007 04:10:15 pm    Post subject:

finally found some codecs to work with Windows Movie Maker to import Mpeg2 files correctly. Problem solved.
benryves

Posted: 05 Mar 2007 10:27:20 am    Post subject:

Would you care to link to them? Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement