This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 08:22:01 pm    Post subject:

I need some video authoring sofware that can combine video clips with transition effects. The transition effect I am mostly looking for is just turning the screen black for about 2-3 seconds while it transitions to the other video clip. The main video format I need supported is Mpeg2. Anyway does anyone know of any good software for this job? I've tried movie maker for sometime and it was working fine but all of a sudden just stopped importing videos correctly where the video would come in blurred.
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 08:28:21 pm    Post subject:

I'd use the Windows Movie Maker. Comes with windows, should be in Accessories Smile.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 09:09:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the response, but read the rest of my post as to why I am not using Windows Movie Maker.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 09:21:13 pm    Post subject:

Step 1: Move video to a Mac OS X computer Cool
Step 2: Power up iMovie
Step 3: Enjoy!

Or if you have a lot of cash, you can buy FinalCut Pro. I heard that it has all the features of iMovie and Movie Maker and more (like grey countdown, clip cropping, etc.)
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 09:47:46 pm    Post subject:

that's weird, i read it, but i misunderstood yah. it shouldnt' do that, but it may have to do with the type of video your importing. (like avi)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 05:19:31 am    Post subject:

http://www.virtualdub.org
benryves

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 08:31:20 am    Post subject:

I've been looking for some MPEG-2 editing software myself; Movie Maker crashes on import (and recompressing already compressed video to another intermediate format before finally recompressing again does not appeal to me). I haven't found any decent free editors for Windows, so am actually writing my own. :\
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 02:41:58 pm    Post subject:

I'd be rather surprised if you managed to code your own. It'll probably just use the same common functions built into the api that all the other half-assed programs/players out there use. To code something better from scratch would take so much work, so much time.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 02:50:34 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
I'd be rather surprised if you managed to code your own. It'll probably just use the same common functions built into the api that all the other half-assed programs/players out there use.

CAUTION - Egos in mirror my be larger than they appear. :ninja:

I'm looking for some video edit software for XP also. My problem's not so much import problems (none so far), but the extreme blur that I'm getting after compression. You'd think they'd have a option to leave the images looking just like they do in edit mode (grrr...). It also makes fine-cropping and trimming an unnecessary battle. Any XP stuff to fix this?

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 03:27:13 pm    Post subject:

Does virtualdub even have the ability to join clips and put transitions between them?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 04:56:29 pm    Post subject:

JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 08:28:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
CAUTION - Egos in mirror my be larger than they appear.

If you were referring to me, the application would be thousands upon thousands of lines. You would have to know the specifications, formatting of every single video format you wanted to work with. 10's upon 10's of thousands of lines of code. This is not a project to be looked at lightly. It would take me at LEAST a half a year to make a program like this to my liking and with quality, and all I do is code. There is no ego, I'm saying even I couldn't do it easily (or at all). I am pointing out pure fact that that is not an easy project.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Feb 2007 08:32:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 10:47:35 pm    Post subject:

Then let's maybe find a more delicate way to say: "You're not up to it. It will be ½ assed," etc. Maybe a spirited: "Good luck with that." Or a: "Whoa nellie, themz some Texas-sized goals, pardner!"
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 11:16:47 pm    Post subject:

I've typed out like 5 different paragraphs here, all with witty little sniper remarks, but decided not to go that way in this thread.

Here's my advice though: You'd better have YEARS of experience and either months/years of your life or a team of programmers behind you to even think about such a project. Good luck, I'd never try it, unless I was hired to do it.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 11:45:26 pm    Post subject:

Just suggesting. He could always collaborate. Just make sure -benryves- you hook me up with your Pro version and not the 30-day trial when you're done. Wink
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 05:49:41 am    Post subject:

Yay for open source libraries.
benryves

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 06:00:04 am    Post subject:

When I say editor, I'm not saying something that will compete with Premiere, but I will be writing a tool to help me work with my video files. It's also a valid excuse to better get to grips with COM interop from managed code.

I'd be using DirectShow. Which has no problems loading the files and extracting frames and audio, as you can see. Smile DirectShow also provides the DirectShow Editing Service which will help reduce the thousands and thousands of lines of code to something more managable.

Yes, that's the "same common functions built into the api that all the other half-assed programs/players out there use". However, that my app can load and work with source files that cause the few apps I've tried to crash indicates that they're doing something funky that I'm not. If I have the source code I can work out where the problem is and work around it.

As for experience, I have written a bunch of one-shot programs to help me with video work in the past; some of the results are on here. And time? Well, you've got me there.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 12:13:05 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
[post="97991"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I see the ability to join two videos. But is there the ability to but a fade transition between them? I've seen a lot of programs that can join videos together but with no transition effects.
benryves

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 12:33:10 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had the problems you mentioned with blurry video. How do you mean blurred? (You're not referring to combing from fields from an interlaced source, are you - if so, use VirtualDub to clean that up if you don't want it).

The most successful mix of filters I've found is Elecard's splitter combined with the MPV decoder in the DirectShow filter pack.

Before installing new codecs, you can work out what's going on by running DirectShow Filter Graph Editor, going File->Render Media File and pointing it at your source .mpg. Once it has built the graph you can edit the individual filter properties and see which filters are being used. You can find this tool installed with the Windows Platform SDK, and is linked to in this thread.

If you want to convert an MPEG-2 stream to AVI, you can remove the sound/video renderers from the filter graph, attach a WAV Dest filter to the sound output, join both together via an AVI Mux and attach that to a File Writer. Alternatively, you can use a tool such as VirtualDubMod.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 01:16:29 pm    Post subject:

Those filters are no good. After installing them and trying to import something into windows movie maker the program gets and error and crashes, forcing windows movie maker to close.

This is what my video looks like after importing it (mpg) and the filters you suggested are not installed.

[attachment=1335:attachment]

It only ever seems to be one video in the entire collection. All the rest are fine and were imported with the same filters it's just this one video, but this one video was made absolutely the same as the rest were.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Feb 2007 01:20:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement