This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 04:32:28 pm    Post subject:

There are three computers on the network at my house, my desktop, my sister's laptop, and my mom's desktop. I've set them all up with file/print sharing, and for a while everything worked fine.

Now I have a strange situation.

My mom's desktop can view all shared network files fine, and can ping both other computers.

My desktop can't view any shared network files, and can ping my sister's laptop but not my mom's desktop.

Both my sister and I used to be able to use the printer connected to my mom's desktop, but can't anymore.

I did have to temporarily move the modem and router and switch my computer from a wired connection to a USB wireless adapter, which was the start of me not being able to print off my mom's printer. This is unrelated to file sharing problems or my sister not being able to connect, both of these have been a problem for a while.

I've rerun the network file/printer sharing wizard on all computers, no luck. We're all running XP Home.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 24 Feb 2007 07:53:18 pm    Post subject:

What are the LAN IP addresses/subnet masks of each computer?

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 11:20:09 am    Post subject:

And what are you firewall settings? (software/windows and router)
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 01:32:16 pm    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
What are the LAN IP addresses/subnet masks of each computer?

--AlienCC
[post="97898"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Mine- 192.168.2.4
Mom's- 192.168.2.2
Sister's- 192.168.2.3

Arcane Wizard wrote:
And what are you firewall settings? (software/windows and router)
[post="97917"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've done my best to eliminate all firewalls and other hold ups on my computer. My mom has Windows Firewall running with file/print sharing allowed, and McAfee's firewall with 192.168.2.1-192.168.2.255 as trusted ip addresses. It was set to block IMPC ping though, which apparently overrides trusted ip addresses. I set it to allow and can now at least ping. Still no luck on sharing.

The network isn't encrypted either. I know this lack of security isn't very smart, but I know my neighbors and that I don't have to worry about them, and we're fairly secluded for someone to bother dragging in a laptop. (Don't remember the term) There isn't anything super valuable to hack into in any of our computers anyway.
It looks like there's a NAT firewall that I can only eliminate for one computer at a time. (DMZ)

UPDATE: Just looked at my McAfee settings and they're the same as my mom's. My computer was already responding to ping though.

If helps, My Network Places on my computer will only display two links from the Internet. View Workgroup Computers takes a long time and then displays "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found"

Also, when I went to double check my firewall settings I got "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings." I'm going to try restarting and see if that solves anything.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte

Last edited by Guest on 25 Feb 2007 01:34:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Feb 2007 06:11:39 pm    Post subject:

Disable all firewalls, period. Since all PCs are inside the LAN you do not have to work any NAT stuff, that's for internet<->lan, though you can open up your file sharing in that aspect as well if you'd want to.

Your router should be more than enough of a firewall anyway.

Things should work then, if the workgroup doesn't respond, use the LAN IP addresses (\\192.168.2.4\sharename) instead of the \\workgroup\computer\share names. If you then want the workgroup to respond, make sure all windows computers are in the same workgroup and all that.

If you do want firewalls to slow up your computers for some reason, re-anable them but configure things correctly:

Windows file sharing works on ports 135-139 (smb) and 445 (smb netbios). UDP and TCP on all counts.

Again, try with IP addresses instead of workgroup and computer names, those can be fixed later.

This works for me even with linux samba and printer lp shares on a network with 2 router firewalls and 3 pcs each with different firewalls set up or none.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 26 Feb 2007 07:37:09 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Disable all firewalls, period.
[post="97950"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yep, it was indeed McAfee causing the problem. I didn't make the connection that file sharing started having trouble around the time of McAfee's latest update. I'm still confused about how print sharing continued to work only while I had a wired connection to the router and why file sharing works fine on mom's computer, but now I know where to start.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement