This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Feb 2007 09:41:53 pm    Post subject:

Recently my aunt mailed me her laptop to take a look at it because all of a sudden it would not turn on. She said she had turned it off put it in it's carrying case and the next time she went to use it, it would not turn on. Anyway I went to disasemble it and took a picture of the mobo. Can anybody look at this picture and spot anything wrong with it? If you need me to take more pictures zoomed in on different areas I will be happy to do it, just ask. Post any comments if you have any as to why it might not turn on.

[attachment=1321:attachment]
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 03:04:51 am    Post subject:

Lol you took a picture of a mobo and want us to find a problem with it. Check the battery/power stuff. Does it do anything when you try to power it on, beep it at all? I assume you tried to get it running before you ripped it apart? What did you try and what did it do?

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 11:03:37 am    Post subject:

The laptop would do absolutely nothing. When I hit the power button nothing happened. I tried with the ac adapter without the batter and visa vera and with both. I couldn't get any beeps as it just won't do anything. I've been told it has been checked by a professional and they said the power cord was getting power just the laptop wouldn't come on maybe because the fan was not working. They were going to charge about 300 dollars just to open it up so you see why I did this. I mainly took the picture so if anyone noticed any soddering problems or anything out of the ordinary they could tell me.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 11:21:07 am    Post subject:

Not much to see with the mobo removed from the rest of the laptop.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimeter

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 11:42:32 am    Post subject:

What would you like to see? Also I've never used a multimeter before and really wouldn't know what to do, but I'll research it as I looked at radioshack and they're pretty cheap.

Do you know what range multimeter I would need for test on a laptop?

Last edited by Guest on 18 Feb 2007 11:46:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 11:58:00 am    Post subject:

Same you'd use with any household appliance. But all you'll really need it for is to be able to show if all the wires work, not if the voltages and resistances add up on all the soldered components in the whole laptop.

Could just be that the on-switch broke.

Funny story: my dad's PC case's on button came with the wires soldered to the wrong switch contacts, only the reset button worked. Both switches' mechanisms where identical and of course right next to eachother so you could instantly see the wires where wrong. lolz

Last edited by Guest on 18 Feb 2007 12:00:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 12:07:58 pm    Post subject:

Probably a newbie question, but how would I go about testing to see if the power switch is broken? If I get the multimeter do I need to plug in the ac adapter and put the diodes up against what to test? I really don't know much about this, but want to learn and thats why I'm asking a lot of questions. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 18 Feb 2007 12:16:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Feb 2007 12:17:32 pm    Post subject:

Just connect the meter to the connectors on the swith (should have wires attached running to the mainboard) and see if it lets current pass through while you push it or when you release it. I don't know if the switches are different for laptops, but it should only let a short burst of current through while you press it's button. No measurable current (from your meter) over the switch at all before, while, and after you press the button means it's dead and you don't need to spend $300 to fix it. Otherwise, figure out if that's what it's supposed to do and move on to the wires connected to the battery and mainboard. If all those are fine too but no LEDs light up or any of the laptops components seem to come to life in any way whatsoever, you might want to get a professional to look at it.

Of course, look for damage and other things that shouldn't be there (burn marks, traces of liquids, etc).

Last edited by Guest on 18 Feb 2007 12:22:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 12:35:45 am    Post subject:

Laptop troubleshooting steps:

1. If laptop does not power on, press the button on back of battery to make sure it is charged. If not, charge battery.

2. Take power adapter and verify it works by connecting it to another laptop without a battery. I.e. If you are certain the power adapter works, it should be able to fire up that laptop.

3. Strip down the external parts. I.e. Undock it, remove Card Bus/PCMCIA cards. Remove Modular Bay Drives. Anything extra.

4. At this point, you have motherboard, keyboard, LCD, processor, RAM, and power adapter and Hard drives. Does it work?

5. Do you have any lights or any beeps? With no other batteries attached, this is a sign the power adapter works. Is the power brick's light light?

6. Remove the CMOS battery and let it sit over night. In the morning, reconnect it and also reseat the RAM. Try again.... try with one stick

7. Try connecting an External Monitor to verify the LCD just is not bad.

8. Power button?

Order of failure:

1. Power adapters
2. Extra stuff connected to laptop such as HDD, Battery, Modular Bay Drive...
3. Keyboards, power button, and other accessories.

All of the above you should get some beeps, lights, or something on the screen assuming thee is power.

Failed LCD should be detected by connecting it to another external monitor unless it is the video card, which often is part of the motherboard.

4. Motherboard

5. Processor (Never seen one fail in a laptop... seen loads of laptops.) The Intel processor looks like a Pentium M Centrino, but I cannot see the markings. Regardless, it is Intel, and it is reliable.

________

If nothing you do causes it to POST or give any indication of error, you can fiddle with the power button. If the battery is dead and won't charge, the motherboard is bad.

If nothing you can do can get it to POST or do anything and the power switch works and power is being delivered, the motherboard is bad.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 01:56:00 am    Post subject:

CMOS battery reset should only take a couple of seconds (10 or so?), so you can safe some time by only taking it out a short while first.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement