Ide
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Ide
omni

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 07:29:01 pm    Post subject:

Is there a free IDE and compiler for C++? And some easy to understand tutorials on how to start?
interwined

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 07:39:15 pm    Post subject:

Dev C++ is the compiler I use. You can get it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/dev-cpp/ or http://www.bloodshed.net/.
omni

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 07:48:44 pm    Post subject:

can it also to C?

And are there any other differenece between C and C++ aside from what they are used in? ie code differences
interwined

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 07:55:58 pm    Post subject:

Yes, you can code with both C and C++ with it. One of the main differences between C and C++ is that C++ is an object oriented language.
omni

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 08:00:51 pm    Post subject:

When I compile a C program it went from 440 bytes to 439 Kilobytes. Is that normal, because when you compile something isn't it suppposed to get smaller?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 08:52:54 pm    Post subject:

I use Visual C++ Enterprise Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Smile Neutral Neutral

Imp
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 09:29:31 pm    Post subject:

omni wrote:
When I compile a C program it went from 440 bytes to 439 Kilobytes. Is that normal, because when you compile something isn't it suppposed to get smaller?

Absolutely not. The source code is just plain text, when you compile you get a lot of instructions that can take anywhere from one to a dozen bytes in size. In addition, all the library functions you used get attached to your program. printf(), for example, takes up quite a few kilobytes (all that functionality). Still a lot less than what cout uses, though.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 09:05:08 am    Post subject:

omni wrote:
And are there any other differenece between C and C++ aside from what they are used in? ie code differences

I think C has some different statements than C++, I'm not sure but I think some if not all of those also work in C++ (if you use a compiler that can handle both?).

I think another differene is that C doesn't have classes but structs, not sure though.

Quote:
I use Visual C++ Enterprise

Visual C++ 6.0 Professional here.

If you need a good free compiler, download Borland C++ Builder. I think it's a 30-day trail but you can get cracks/keys through the usual channel.

Ugh, I think I need to relearn C++ soon.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 02:10:31 pm    Post subject:

Muahahah only professional for you. Ive got Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition too :P

Imp Rolling Eyes
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 08:56:07 pm    Post subject:

I use Turbo C++ for Windows (WHEN i use C++... lol which isnt often!)

hehe i win :)

i also have the install CD for Turbo C++ for dos, and some other C++ thing, i think maybe Dev studio or something
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 11:44:31 pm    Post subject:

I have Visual C++ 6 if that means anything to you. I got it about 2 years ago.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Ide
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement