This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 07:04:00 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to resume leaving my email address up on my personal site for obvious reasons. Since it's pretty widely-known that spambots are partial to mining email addresses for annoyance purposes, I want to try a little spam proofing.

If I posted my email as a GIF or JPEG - maybe with patterns added in, do I stand a decent chance of avoiding the bots? I figure I'd ask because it seems like a good idea, yet I see few people doing it. Any input?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 07:12:32 pm    Post subject:

I'd say a minority of the spambots look at anything more than the HTML source, so an image may do you very well.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2007 07:18:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 08:01:16 pm    Post subject:

Or you could do something like "Digitan AT MyEmail DOT Com", and tell them to omit the "NoSpam", and change the "DOT" to "." and "AT" to "@". If you wanted to, you could stick a "NOSPAM" in there somewhere too. Or maybe even DigitanNoSpam@MyEmail.com .
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 10:33:38 pm    Post subject:

Yeah. I was assuming by now that most spambots are trained to see though that stuff. Plus I've been getting a lot of questions from international non-English speakers who might be thrown off by the countermeasures.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 12:37:15 am    Post subject:

What about an aim.com email account? Web-based, free, 2Gb storage space, and I've gotten <10 spam messages in the ~1 year I've had it. And if it does get killed by spam, your regular email account is still safe.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 01:25:57 am    Post subject:

use an image, but wrap it in a nice circle or something, if you REALLY want to actually put a link as well, use javascript encoding to prevent ubereasy stealing.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 01:31:17 am    Post subject:

I guess it would make a nice first-time GIMP project. Take that, text recognition!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 03:51:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah image should be (far) more than enough. Spaces and "AT"s are easily processed, but images are rarely targetted let alone sucesfully processed. As far as I know the only malicious bots that process images specifically target registry codes, not emails.

Also, disable HTML or inline image content in your email client. It's common for images (even single pixels) to be send with a unique source url so they immedeately know your email address is valid and read when your client opens the email.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Feb 2007 03:54:22 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 07:59:06 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd0+deletethispart@gmail.com

The + sign is a valid operator; it will still send to my main email. However, I can filter on the TO: email address. (Also a good trick for legitimate uses, such as +uti or +college or whatever)
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 08:04:55 pm    Post subject:

I just let it come. I get about 1000 spam emails per month, but as long as they all get filtered to the Spam folder, I'm happy.
chipmaster

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 09:35:03 pm    Post subject:

I'm with Darkerline on this one.

Also, I know first hand that bots are being made which can decrypt images. I know someone who is working on a program to do interpret CAPTCHA's and allow bots to sign up for forums and other nuisances. I realized that I had no way of preventing him, or hackers in general to come up with a work around. I guess it will be up to the internet community to come up with the next wave of verification (biometrics anyone?) because I don't see image verification lasting for more than the next couple of years.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 10:57:40 pm    Post subject:

It's mostly the 1,000's of common bots I'm dodging versus the occasional state-of-the-art one. And I'd wager the bots aren't programmed to point out the lone email in a haystack of images. Maybe some random background will be enough for now if not overkill.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Feb 2007 12:41:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Feb 2007 02:53:08 am    Post subject:

Overkill. Bots that interpret images target a very specific image on a specific page. Trying to decrypt every image on a site would kill whatever machine the bot is on.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Feb 2007 02:53:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement