This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 03:35:38 pm    Post subject:

So here's the thing:
often, my DVD drive will just open or close at random, without me or anyone else pushing the button. This seems to always happen during startup (when checking for a boot drive iirc) and randomly when using the system.

I have a fancy cover in front of the dvd drive (HP PC and stuff), but the problem also occurs when I remove it completely. I did a complete virusscan, but as said you'd think it's not a virus because it also happens when not even Windows is loaded yet.

I can't send new firmware for some reason. Also, it happened after my dad tried to play a bad downloaded copy of some movie (for the record, just assume that movie was copyright-free, like Creative Commons or w/e). That DVD also upset his standalone DVD player.

Stats:
Windows XP (latest SP2 etc)
MacAfee antivirus
HP DVD writer 630c - OEM BENQ DW1620 (Double Layer, 16x)
AMD64 3400+
1GB DDR
nVidia Geforce FX5500 with 256 VRAM (no i'm not getting a new vidcard, i know it sucks)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Feb 2007 03:36:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 05:14:59 pm    Post subject:

Do you have more than one drive? I know a problem like this can occur if a drive isn't set to master or you have two master drives.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Feb 2007 05:17:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Feb 2007 02:44:38 am    Post subject:

I have seen this problem at work on professionally built Dell Systems.

Essentially, it was of no fault of Dell. The solution I employed was to simply replace the drive. The solution worked.

Do you have another drive to see if the problem goes away?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Feb 2007 03:52:52 am    Post subject:

I'll need a young priest and an old priest.

What do you do for a veery loud DVD-ROM?

Last edited by Guest on 04 Feb 2007 03:53:00 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Feb 2007 05:55:51 am    Post subject:

NETWiz wrote:
I have seen this problem at work on professionally built Dell Systems.

Essentially, it was of no fault of Dell.  The solution I employed was to simply replace the drive.  The solution worked.

Do you have another drive to see if the problem goes away?
[post="96396"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I only have a bunch of CD readers, I could try that.

I had this problem once before, on a perfectly fine Plextor drive. We had to buy a new one, and when I recently put the drive in a new computer, the problem still occured. I just hoped i wouldn't have to replace the drive.

Also, the master/slave settings are fine. It used to work perfectly, and it's a professionally built computer.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Feb 2007 11:12:57 pm    Post subject:

Master and Slave should have nothing to do with it. Heck most professionally built computers are jumpered Cable Select.

Sometimes it is the plastic insert part of the case that causes the problem.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 03:12:12 am    Post subject:

Do you mean the fancy plastic cover or the part of the actual drive? Because it's not the cover.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 04:21:35 am    Post subject:

If you can't make it open when it shouldn't on purpose (persistently recreate the problem) then it's really random and I'd open it up and see if there's nothing getting in the way of the plastic tray closing fully. A vibration might then cause it to pass the point where it ejects by itself.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 05:12:12 pm    Post subject:

It seems to always open at boot.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 05:32:47 pm    Post subject:

Gah! My DVD is so loud, no one heard my question!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 05:41:02 pm    Post subject:

You mean the somewhat squeaky sound of a DVD being read is very loud?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 05:44:24 pm    Post subject:

I dunno. It's a really loud "motory" noise that sounds like a regular drive might with x100 hearing. It's a lot like a garbage disposal or kitchen exhaust fan; and quite noticeable from the next room. The DVDs play okay.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 02:59:19 am    Post subject:

Hah, I typed up a whole response about drive noise but then, just before I hit add reply, I got confused and thought nobody had spoken about drive noise in this topic but only about the tray ejecting randomly and I only thought people had because I'm wierd.

Anyways..

My external dvd writer does the same thing. Not a smooth loud case fan noise, more of a lawnmower imitation. Basically, if the stars are aligned properly and it's perfectly horizontally balanced, it works fine. Otherwise, it´s like some kind of full-on noise mix at 96kbps. I think the layer of plastic the disk is actually on is a mm or two too wide and the tray is a bit too flexible for my liking, and there are none of those keep-the-drisk-from-exploding-the-drive clips.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2007 03:00:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement