This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
critor

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 03:24:59 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
Speaking of running a different OS, would it be possible to run say, os 2.48, on a normal ti-84+(SE)?
I'm surprised (and annoyed) that TI hasn't released any updates past 2.43 for the real (non-emulated) ti-84+(SE)

Possible: yes.
Easy: no

The TI-84+nSpire OS has to be patched in order to be run on a real TI-84+.
The OS include specific code for using the TI-nSpire screen, or the TI-nSpire USB port for example... The hardware is not the same.
So without those patches, installing the 84+nSpire OS on a true 84+ will probably give you a blank screen and unusable calculator.

Once the OS has been patched, the signature will be bad, and your TI-84+ won't want it.
(that's why we are currently taking care of the TI-84+ OS signing key on other topics... I've got 4 computers on that)

Brandon W has patched the 2.42 84+nSpire OS, in order to run it on a true TI-84+.
You can find that special 8Xu update file on his web site.
But the 2.42 OS is based on the 2.41 OS, so there is no interest for you.

2.44 OS is based on the 2.43 OS (the last one released for the real TI-84+).

There *may* be some interesting new features on the 2.46 and 2.48 OS, but I'm not even sure of that.

Did you notice anything that is available on the 2.46/2.48 84+nSpire OS, and that was not available on the original TI-84+ ?
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 03:39:05 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
I'm surprised (and annoyed) that TI hasn't released any updates past 2.43 for the real (non-emulated) ti-84+(SE)

You're annoyed? How do you think we 83+ users feel? No OpenLib, no Manual-Fit, no χ²GOF, whatever that is... no Push-to-Test...
Razz
ztrumpet

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 04:00:43 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
No OpenLib, no Manual-Fit, no χ²GOF, whatever that is... no Push-to-Test...
Razz
What?!?
I've never heard of those. What's thier use? <I am on a 83+ also...>
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 05:40:58 pm    Post subject:

The only one I was interested in was OpenLib, which would have helped a whole bunch of applications not have to bother with hooks and chaining. Unfortunately, since it's not compatible with 83+, (almost) no one has ever used it. I once considered making a parser hook on the 83+ that reads the OpenLib tokens, but then I remembered the calculator won't accept the file transfer if it has illegal tokens. Of course, now that everyone's patching OSes...maybe I'll start a new project for myself... Wink
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 05:45:03 pm    Post subject:

Well, OpenLib is the nifty (though poorly implemented) command that allows BASIC programs to call subroutines provided by Flash apps. USB8x provides such a library, and there may be a few other apps that do so. The feature has not been wildly popular for two reasons: one, it requires OS 2.x; and two, the name of the app must be 8 characters and consist only of uppercase letters and digits.

Manual-Fit, I think, lets you draw a line on the graph screen (manually adjusting the position and slope using the arrow keys), and outputs the equation.

There are a few new statistics commands as well; I don't know what they do. On OS 2.30 and above, there's the special discontinuity detection when graphing functions with Xres = 1. And of course, there's Push-to-Test, TestGuard 2, Push-to-Test Singapore Edition, and so forth.
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 07:12:11 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:

Maybe these do not add any significnt feature but are just patches to get nSpire emulation to work properly in which case it is understandable that TI did not release it separately...
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Aug 2009 07:43:15 pm    Post subject:

Chances are, they're never going to release anything for the real Z80 calcs again. Once TI puts out a new calc, they never look back.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 06:51:12 am    Post subject:

fullmetalcoder wrote:
calcdude84se wrote:

Maybe these do not add any significnt feature but are just patches to get nSpire emulation to work properly in which case it is understandable that TI did not release it separately...

They haven't added anything new, all they're doing is mucking around with the invalid instructions they've added for turning off the calculator, Flash writing, USB communication, etc. Rather than try to emulate the god-awful USB (and other) interfaces, they add invalid instructions which work as "traps" of sorts which let the emulator take control temporarily and perform the operation, then return control back to the emulator.

I know it sounds cool and all to run 2.48 on your real 84+SE, but trust me (as I've done this with 2.42), it's not worth it to make it run. All you're doing is gutting the Nspire-specific stuff and leaving yourself with a slightly unstable OS that's no different from 2.43.

What I'm curious on is if they'll actually go to 2.50 next, while the real 84+SE is stuck with 2.45 next.

Also, I know I'm being anal about this, but it's "Nspire", not "nSpire". TI's web site and the actual About screen on the 84+SE confirm this. We really shouldn't be promoting wrong ways to say this.
calcdude84se

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 04:09:07 pm    Post subject:

So I'm not missing anything. It isn't like TI will decide to release an update to include symbolic capabilities (that would be nice, but would break a lot of programs).
And I feel sorry for those with a TI-83+ who can't use these commands. (You're not missing anything. Manual-Fit can be duplicated nicely, no Flash Apps currently existing can be used with Openib( and ExecLib [except for usb8x, but 83+'s don't have usb ports], the chi-square functions are only useful for high-end statistics [most of us don't do that], discontinuity detection makes your graph look ugly, and nobody cares for the testing features)
<sidenote>
TI didn't include documentation for the OpenLib( and ExecLib instructions in the TI-84+(SE) manual. (Apparently the didn't update the manual for the new OS)
</sidenote>
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 06:27:54 pm    Post subject:

I'd kind of like to have the TI-84's statistics functions, actually. You can write programs to calculate most of them, but this is too complicated for many people (we had an entire topic devoted to an invT( alternative) and the end result is a bit slower, as well.

χ²GOF-Test(, on the other hand, is much easier to replace.

Then again, I'd much rather TI add some of the 83 series's statistics functionality to the 89 series, which is otherwise more fun to do math with.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Aug 2009 06:32:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Aug 2009 08:42:48 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
<sidenote>
TI didn't include documentation for the OpenLib( and ExecLib instructions in the TI-84+(SE) manual. (Apparently the didn't update the manual for the new OS)
</sidenote>

Of course not, because as you said, none of TI's applications support it, and the way you'd use OpenLib(/ExecLib is completely arbitrary and depends on the Flash application you're using it with.
The real documentation for this would be in the way of hooks, and good luck getting TI to acknowledge those exist.
calcdude84se

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 12:26:01 pm    Post subject:

Great, now I feel bad for calling the statistical functions unused. (I'll get over it)

brandonw wrote:
calcdude84se wrote:
<sidenote>
</sidenote>

Of course not, because as you said, none of TI's applications support it, and the way you'd use OpenLib(/ExecLib is completely arbitrary and depends on the Flash application you're using it with.
The real documentation for this would be in the way of hooks, and good luck getting TI to acknowledge those exist.

It's as if TI wants us to use the undocumented features, but just won't admit it.
Of course, there is always the possibility that they designed the OS the way it is for practical reasons. :biggrin:
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 01:05:44 pm    Post subject:

calcdude84se wrote:
It's as if TI wants us to use the undocumented features, but just won't admit it.

There may be some disagreement between the features that TI's programmers decide to implement, and the features that management wants them to advertise. Smile As far as I'm aware, they never did provide any documentation on the 82, 85, or 92 internals, but I think they were generally happy to see people pushing the limits of what the devices could do.
calcdude84se

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 01:13:16 pm    Post subject:

We'll truly see what TI's calculators can do when someone releases a complete replacement OS for the 83+ series.
If the replacement is a normal operating system (like Windows, Linux) then the full capacity of these devices can be realized.
Galandros

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 06:00:27 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
calcdude84se wrote:

There may be some disagreement between the features that TI's programmers decide to implement, and the features that management wants them to advertise. Smile As far as I'm aware, they never did provide any documentation on the 82, 85, or 92 internals, but I think they were generally happy to see people pushing the limits of what the devices could do.

So they don't provide documentation in order to us get curious and make all the work for them.

They are genius, save time on writing and give a extra motivation for us...
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 07:34:20 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely. The reverse-engineering is half the fun. :)

I vaguely remember (years ago, when TI actually provided a modicum of technical support to third-party developers) asking for more information about hooks, and being told that TI did not support the use of undocumented OS features... but that I should go look around for third party documentation.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2009 08:21:27 pm    Post subject:

FloppusMaximus wrote:
Absolutely. The reverse-engineering is half the fun. :)

I vaguely remember (years ago, when TI actually provided a modicum of technical support to third-party developers) asking for more information about hooks, and being told that TI did not support the use of undocumented OS features... but that I should go look around for third party documentation.

Did they say it was "proprietary" information? I asked a question about the usb, and they basically stone walled me, saying that if it was not on TI's website, then it was "proprietary" information, and could not be disclosed.

Basically, they just said no, wrapped in a pretty little bow. (Hey, that was a rhyme... Anyway...)

But yeah, figuring stuff out is almost all the fun. You figure stuff out, implement it, and it works great!!!! (Especially for stuff that "Doesn't exist", like hooks.)

Speaking of the usb thing, with the help of brandonw, I got the usb to accept stuff. Yay!!!!
ztrumpet

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 10:13:18 am    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:
Especially for stuff that "Doesn't exist", like hooks

Correct me if I'm wrong: Ti's Start-Up and Catolog Help Apps use hooks, right?
calcdude84se

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 12:57:57 pm    Post subject:

Of course they do. TI just doesn't want to admit it. :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 23 Aug 2009 05:22:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Aug 2009 04:21:16 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
Graphmastur wrote:
Especially for stuff that "Doesn't exist", like hooks

Correct me if I'm wrong: Ti's Start-Up and Catolog Help Apps use hooks, right?

That is why I used quotes. TI won't admit it.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement