This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
chesshaha

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 01:46:43 am    Post subject:

I am writing a batch file call copycat.bat because to make copying from my flash drive to my hard drive easier.

xcopy F:\. C:\newplace /e
cls
copycat
IF Overwrite GOTO END
:end

If there's overwrite I want the file to end, what do I need to replace overwrite with to make it work?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Feb 2007 01:48:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 03:21:28 am    Post subject:

What's wrong with drag and drop?

Just do this:

xcopy f:\ c:\newplace /e /k /x /y

/k and /x are to preserve file attributes. /y suppresses the overwrite confirmation question, but doesn't override read-only because you don't use /r. If it comes to a read-only file it simply ends the copying process saying "access denied".

Why you want to automate not overwriting read-only files is beyond me, though. Just drag and drop and hit escape when the overwrite confirmation dialog pops up.

I say, just overwrite it, because otherwise you simply end up with a half-updated local folder.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Feb 2007 03:24:07 am; edited 1 time in total
chesshaha

Posted: 03 Feb 2007 02:13:21 am    Post subject:

No, you are missing the point.

I want:

If overwrite confirmation question come up, It will go to end.

I don't want to overwrite over and over again.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Feb 2007 05:36:07 am    Post subject:

xcopy /y without /r does end without overwriting.
chesshaha

Posted: 04 Feb 2007 01:35:56 am    Post subject:

No, cmd won't close, it will just keep running copycat.bat
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Feb 2007 04:19:20 am    Post subject:

Don't run anything but "xcopy f:\ c:\newplace /e /k /x /y". No cls. No recursive restarting of copycat.bat. No goto end. Nothing but that line.
chesshaha

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 12:26:01 am    Post subject:

Yea, I understand what are you trying to say.

BUT, I want cmd closes itself!

Thanks
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 03:02:55 am    Post subject:

cmd closes itself automatically if the program it was called up to run ends.

Don't start cmd yourself and then run xcopy manually, but make a shortcut to xcopy with the right parameters. Then, when you run it, a command prompt window will come up to show output from the program, and then close when the program ends.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement