This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jan 2007 10:54:53 pm    Post subject:

I'm using an NVidia firewall that came bundled with my motherboard. It seems to be keeping out the riffraff as far as I know. But after using ZoneAlarm on my previous computer, it seems like I have considerably less control over what passes and what get blocked. Lately, I've been noticing my favorites like maxcoderz and digikey.com will be blocked unless I disable it or go though Vtunnel. There's no other setting so far that corrects this.

Should I stick with the NVidia firewall, switch to windows firewall, or go with a 3rd-party prog like ZoneAlarm? Also is it weird to use multiple firewalls?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jan 2007 11:39:02 pm    Post subject:

I don't know anything about those, but I don't think Windows Firewall helps that much. I had to rebuild my computer 3 times to purge VirusBurster, before my uncle took pity and got me WebRoot Firewall/Spy Sweeper for Christmas. After I installed that my computer is pretty much protected against everything, without the inconvenience of permitting sites. Only sites "with malicious content" are blocked, and when something tries to access the web, you are notified and you can choose whether or not to allow it.

Sorry if this sounds more like an advertisement than a suggestion, but Webroot has worked for me without fail, so if you plan to use a 3rd-party firewall, get Webroot.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jan 2007 11:59:36 pm    Post subject:

windows firewall is fine as that, a firewall. it isn't designed to keep out malware, just hackers.

if you have a hardware firewall on your router, even better, use that.....
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2007 12:04:00 am    Post subject:

Nah, it's okay (all the 3rd party recommendations). I'm trying to get some input on as many 3rd-party progs allowable. Also, I should mention the school might have a software deal with Norton but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jan 2007 12:04:26 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Jan 2007 01:42:32 am    Post subject:

Get rid of that nvidia firewall fast!!! That thing was corrupting my ethernet packets in the past, especially when I was trying to download linux/bsd iso images.

--AlienCC
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2007 12:49:16 pm    Post subject:

Ew! I have noticed yahoo mail tends to screw up lately. Speaking of iso's is there a good freeware prog that can create them? I found one but it only lets you go up to 300MB.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2007 01:39:00 pm    Post subject:

I believe there is a windows port of dd which lets you do this.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Jan 2007 03:03:06 am    Post subject:

This one has proven useful for me in the past:
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

I've heard good things about this one:
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php

Another interesting guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...eptember16.mspx

That should be enough to get you started for now.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 04:31:55 am    Post subject:

The Nvidia firewall was crashing my computer. IT caused Azureus to unload often.

Additionally, I was getting nvtcp.sys blue screens of death. I removed the firewall and driver and never have seen another BSOS. It has been a year.
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 02:04:24 pm    Post subject:

http://mattbthompson.blogspot.com/2007/01/...to-replace.html

i'd recommend some of the software on that list. i just started using comodo firewall after i found it. about multiple firewalls, i wouldn't do that... using 1 good firewall replaces multiple firewalls, because sometimes it makes your connection very limited. b/c you'd have allow a program or port on all of your firewalls, which can be annoying.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2007 02:05:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 02:26:39 pm    Post subject:

Doesn't the Nvidia one require apache server to be running locally? I loled and pressed uninstall.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 03:15:42 pm    Post subject:

There are a bunch of apache folders that came bundled in their NetworkAccessManager folders. It looks like they went out of their way to make it hard to get rid of because there's no uninstallation resources whatsoever. Somebody said you have to uninstall the whole ethernet driver!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2007 06:21:08 pm    Post subject:

My del key worked fine.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2007 06:21:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 01:24:52 pm    Post subject:

I dunno. There isn't any folder that says specifically where the firewall exe is. And it's not in the add/remove listing. It's almost like they don't want me to delete it. :ninja:
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 01:39:18 pm    Post subject:

Disable the windows service and delete the whole NVidia Corporation folder.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 01:47:15 pm    Post subject:

Where do I disable the windows service? (Getting rid of the NVidia Corp folder won't mess with my display/ethernet will it?)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 02:42:07 pm    Post subject:

msconfig.exe and reboot or services.msc.

The drivers are placed in the Windows system folder, not in the NVidia Corp~ folder, so your hardware operability will not be affected unless you yourself relied on any of the (silly) programs there (Windows does not).
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Jan 2007 06:32:20 pm    Post subject:

What should I be looking for in msconfig? There's like 100 processes running.
threefingeredguy

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 01:10:09 am    Post subject:

Could be in the Startup tab. Also, you should get CCleaner and see if it will uninstall it.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jan 2007 02:53:26 am    Post subject:

Services tab, actually, for the services anyway. (Everything in msconfig applies to start up, so go figure why it has a start up tab, Microsoft probably ran out of retarded ordering conventions to use. Or maybe they burned out all their energy again and again on failing to come up with a better way than A-Z to label drive volumes.)

services.msc is better for managing services, though.

Disable whatever services you don't need (any more). If you use msconfig you either have to close the processes yourself (file->exit, or ctrl+alt+del or whatever) or reboot. services.msc closes the service processes for you.

If you don't know what you can (the service that offers your registry for editing to any client) or can't close (sound services), post your list.

Finally, since the files are no longer being executed, you can delete them.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement