This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Sep 2003 01:14:53 am    Post subject:

can anyone tell me 1) how wide the SRBs (solid rocket boosters) that launch the US space shuttle into space are, and 2) why they are exactly that width?

(i will add the good/bad poll after i post the actual joke)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Sep 2003 05:29:21 am    Post subject:

from some site wrote:
The SRBs are the largest solid- propellant motors ever flown and the first designed for reuse. Each is 149.16 feet long and 12.17 feet in diameter.

Why? Because it just so happens to be the best size?

Do I get my cookie now?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Sep 2003 11:46:43 am    Post subject:

no, because according to my source, the SRBs that the US uses are not 12.17 feet in diameter.

nice try though. keep it up. ill post the rest soon.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 11:26:57 am    Post subject:

Just so you know, I got that information from NASA.

http://search.nasa.gov/nasasearch/search/s...+rocket+booster
http://nkma.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technolog...ewsref/srb.html

Cookie, now!
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 07:06:36 pm    Post subject:

*gives a cookie to Arcane Wizard*

well, then i guess my story is irrelevent.

it shows why there were 4 ft 8.5 in. in diameter. oh well.
NextPerception

Posted: 30 Sep 2003 08:46:10 pm    Post subject:

tell it anyway
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Oct 2003 12:13:29 pm    Post subject:

well....

Specifications and Bearucracies live forever. one example, the solid rocket boosters (SRBs) attached to the sides of the space shuttle. they are exactly 4 ft 8.5 in. in diameter. Now what horse's rear end decided it had to be THAT way? well... the engineers of the SRBs wanted to make them bigger, but couldnt bcuz the SRBs are made in the factory in Utah, then shipped via train to the launch site. along the way the train passes through a tunnel in the mountains, which is barely wider than the train track, so the SRBs could only be as wide as the train track, 4 ft 8.5 in. Now what horse's rear end decided it had to be THAT way? well... after we broke away from england we still used some of the same measurements, namely the width of the train tracks. well where did the width come from for the train tacks in england? the train tracks were the same size as the wheel ruts in the roads from the wagons. the spacing between the wheels was (is?) exactly 4 ft 8.5 in. Now what horse's rear end decided it had to be THAT way? well... the first roads were build by rome for the roman liegions. if the wagon wheels didnt fit into the ruts left by the liegions, then the axles of the wagons often broke. and the width of the liegions was exactly 4 ft 8.5 in. Now what horse's rear end decided it had to be THAT way? well... the liegions had to fit snugly around the rear end of 2 horses :P

thats what my teacher said.
anduril66
Anduril is the Flame of the West!

Posted: 01 Oct 2003 01:14:57 pm    Post subject:

Interesting, because I saw that (about rail tracks and Roman roads) on a tv show (about how transportation doesn't change much) about two months ago. Yeah it did mention the Space Shuttle, but I forget the details.

This is similar to what you said:
http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=5173

Last edited by Guest on 01 Oct 2003 01:18:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 09:31:17 am    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
*gives a cookie to Arcane Wizard*

w00t!

Quote:
well, then i guess my story is irrelevent.

it shows why there were 4 ft 8.5 in. in diameter. oh well.

It's still a good story though.

You should have known they where bigger than 4ft though, just look at pictures of the space shuttle, there's no way those SRB's are 4 ft.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Oct 2003 09:33:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 06:24:07 pm    Post subject:

last time i beleive that teacher on anything....

come to think of it, the motto of california ISNT "by age 30, our wemon have more plastic than your honda". funny, but i now despise that teacher.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Oct 2003 08:58:53 pm    Post subject:

holy crap! that was pretty funny! but still NOT true... Laughing
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement