This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 07:56:40 pm    Post subject:

I have 2 VGA monitors, and each are missing pins from their 15 pin connections. The first has 4 missing pins and doesn't work at all. The second is missing one pin but still works. I only just noticed this missing pin, but it may have been missing for a while. The only problem that I have ever noticed when using the monitor is that sometimes programs like TILP will change the colors of various onscreen things (I use it with Windows 98 SE). Here is a schematic of where the missing pin should be:
a0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 X 0
a0 0 0 0 0
I don't know how this happened, but I may have been yanking out the VGA plugs on both monitors altogether too carelessly. How can I fix the monitors? Both are really old CRT's and not worth spending very much money on.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 08:03:02 pm    Post subject:

Pin 9 is a non-connected pin, according to the DB15 pinout. You're in luck Smile
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 08:04:34 pm    Post subject:

kermmartian wrote:
Pin 9 is a non-connected pin, according to the DB15 pinout.  You're in luck Smile
[post="94387"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yay... but what about the other monitor?
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 08:06:02 pm    Post subject:

Recursive Acronym wrote:
kermmartian wrote:
Pin 9 is a non-connected pin, according to the DB15 pinout.  You're in luck Smile

[post="94389"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Do another diagram to show which 4 are missing from the other
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 08:19:44 pm    Post subject:

I'll have to do it later and get back to you.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Jan 2007 10:11:18 pm    Post subject:

It is no big deal. It was built that way by design. I see this hundreds of times and know it to be by design.

Here is a picture:

Here is another:

And another:

Okay and another one:

All of these pictures were taken by people independent of each other. I found them on Google Images. If you are missing the same pin all of these cables are missing, which I am sure you are, then you are fine.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Jan 2007 09:10:22 am    Post subject:

Recursive Acronym wrote:
kermmartian wrote:

5,9, and 15 shouldn't be needed. See: http://www.acl.co.uk/pinouts.htm

If any other pin is missing you can try to fix it through the appliance of a metal pin, a soldering iron, and an ohm meter.
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 06:14:58 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Recursive Acronym wrote:
kermmartian wrote:

5,9, and 15 shouldn't be needed. See: http://www.acl.co.uk/pinouts.htm

If any other pin is missing you can try to fix it through the appliance of a metal pin, a soldering iron, and an ohm meter.
[post="94427"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

5, 9, 12, and 15 are missing. So, I need to replace 12. Can you elaborate on the repair process? The first thing I tried was sticking parts of paper clips in the holes... such a n00b...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 07:00:21 pm    Post subject:

I guess if you had to, you could disassemble the plug and insert male D-sub pins where any are missing. Radio shack has em. As NetWiz said though, I also have VGA cables with pins missing. And it still works on any computer I apply it to.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 08:17:32 pm    Post subject:

I have a monitor that I was using until a month ago that has the same pins missing. I don't think adding pin #12 will do anything.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 08:19:25 pm    Post subject:

I would try it. Quite honestly, chances are good they will just work. If not, no harm should happen to your computer. Should being the key word in this sentence. I would, however, try this on a computer you do not care about too much.

You can also look up how to crimp VGA cables on Google. There is a process, but I have never done it, so I am not qualified to go into detail.

If you have a DVI cable, that is a whole different story. Good Luck
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 12:30:02 pm    Post subject:

My connector misses 5 pins and works fine (different type tho). The pins are usually just bended, not missing. Try what else can be wrong with the cam.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement