This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 11:17:40 pm    Post subject:

Oh the front control panels are a bit tricky, I must agree.

I am glad it finally POSTED for you.

I read, then re-read the panel info because it is probably the most tricky thing to do on the entire board. Basically, whenever you have trouble, if you eliminate parts to you are down to the bare minimum, it makes it easier to find out what works. Sorry to hear you damaged the orange slots in your brand new motherboard. Regardless, I think that ASUS will serve you just fine with the black slots. Additionally, you will never have to buy a computer built by an OEM like Dell ever again.

You also have the freedom to upgrade one part at a time now.

Run MemTest86+ tonight if you can. It will completely test all of your memory to make sure it is operating fine. You have DDR2 800 in that motherboard, so you should get 12.8 GB/s roughly.

Additionally, it should come back with no errors.

Also, go into the Bios setup utility and check out the temperature settings and visually inspect that all fans are spinning.

Once you have done all of this, Install your OS and we will help you with drivers as needed.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Jan 2007 11:40:06 pm    Post subject:

Motherboard has heat pipe and is ATX!

Basically, that motherboard has a heat-pipe on its chip-set. Notice the big copper thing with a pipe coming off of it?

That is called a heat-pipe. That motherboard is designed for an ATX case and is therefore upside-down in the picture you posted at Chemtech.

Ordinarily, this would not matter, but with a heat-pipe, it does.

Basically, a heat-pipe is a heat block connected to a pipe filled with a liquid that boils turning to vapor at a certain temperature. I don't know what that temperature is set too, but at a certain point do to different chemicals and pressure inside the pipe, the liquid at the bottom touching the block will absorb the heat turning to vapor.

That vapor will rise to the top of the pipe and through conduction and convection transfer its heat to the pipe and a heat sink at the other end if there is one. It will then cool and change back to a liquid state within the pipe and fall back to the bottom with gravity.

By putting that in a BTX case or having the case configured BTX or upside down, you defeat the heat-pipe physics. You will have no coolant on the copper heat-block ready to absorb heat and carry it away. Instead, you will have a hot heat block and cold pipe.

You are in essence defeating the cooling system of your motherboard. I highly recommend operating that motherboard either horizontally or how it would be if it were mounted in an ATX tower. By having it upside down, the motherboard chipset will get hotter than it should.

If you look on that board, it even has a FAN to blow away the excess heat from the heat-pipe to cool the vapor, lower the temperature, lower the pressure, and cause gravity to return the liquid. You have a fan spinning over an area of the motherboard that does not get hot, with some condensed liquid just sitting there inside the pipe never getting warm. Meanwhile, you have the copper heat block above (heat rises) the fan with no liquid to carry the heat away.

This is upside-down and it is important only because you have a heat-pipe:

Turn that computer right side up to prevent the motherboard from overheating.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jan 2007 11:48:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 02:50:35 am    Post subject:

chipmaster wrote:
2.  I *may* have damaged the orange ram slots in my mobo, but using the one stick trick, I found that they work fine in the black slots, and I'm perfectly ok with that.[post="94737"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

If they really are damaged, contact Asus and they will let you RMA it for a replacement board.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 04:22:37 am    Post subject:

Will Asus warranty it when it was lack of care that damaged it?

They might being the good company that they are.
chipmaster

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 10:06:28 pm    Post subject:

@Netwiz: Are you really suggesting that I flip my computer upside-down? That would make loading and unloading cds and dvds quite difficult... Gah, I was told by users at cemetech that the case WAS ATX, and apparently, it's not. Sad This was the only way I *think* I could orient the motherboard. I did think it was a little strange that the words were upside down, but I didn't dwell on it.

Thanks for the tips with the bios and memtest. I'll definitely do that. I already have Ubuntu running successfully on here (I'm actually posting from it right now), and I'm going to install Windows soon. If I run into driver issues I will definitely post here for help.

@Alien CC: This was suggested by another person, but I'm not sure I want to undo all of my work, right after I get it running. I'm very sure that I won't be needing those extra ram slots, and if I ever do, it will probably be so far in the future that the mobo will need replacement, too.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 10:21:06 pm    Post subject:

Normally you want to install Windows first so that you don't have to reinstall GRUB once Windows messes with the Master Boot Record since obviously there aren't any other operating systems in existance.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 11:24:30 pm    Post subject:

chipmaster wrote:
@Netwiz:  Are you really suggesting that I flip my computer upside-down?

No, of course I would not suggest you turn it upside-down. I am suggesting you turn it right-side up. Actually downside-down or upside-up, but you get the idea. For cooling, you should figure out how the case is designed to work with ATX motherboards. Can't you move the feet to the other side? Then flip the drive around for easy loading?

As for RMAing the motherboard, if ASUS will go for it, then do it. It should be a walk in the park changing the motherboard with an identical one. I know I could do it in about 15 to 30 minutes. The good thing is the Core 2 Duo is in an LGA 775 socket, which means that removing the CPU Heat-Sink/Fan will not pull the processor out by its pins. Instead, the clamp will hold it in place. You will then want to clean the bottom of the heatsink with Zero-Residue Contact Cleaner, Arti Clean from Artic Silver, or 99% preferrably 99.9% or higher purity Electronics Alcohol. Also clean the top of the processor while still in the clamp to prevent damage to it or the LGA socket.

Finally, open the new socket then the old and transfer the CPU by the edges and lock it down. Place the plastic insert back in the LGA socket for Asus to prevent damage. They will refurbish the memory slots by machine re soldering if they are like the other 99% of motherboard manufacturers. Now, use Artic Slver 5 to remount the heatsink/fan.

Good Luck
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 01:27:36 pm    Post subject:

@chipmaster: The only things you would have to flip would be the disk drives, everything else is upside down already.

(graphics card should be at bottom, PSU at top)
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 08:22:41 pm    Post subject:

Quite honestly, it does not matter with the graphics card. The graphics card cooling solution will work no matter how it is orianted.

Unfortunately, the motherboard's cooling is more complicated. Essentially, it has liquid cooling via the heat pipe in a completely closed system that re-circulates coolant with gravity and evaporation as the pump.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement