This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Releases => Your Projects
trigkid213

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 04:05:57 pm    Post subject:

File Name :: Portal
Author :: trigkid213
Category :: Ti-83plus Basic Games
Screenshot :: [img]http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?act=downloads&do=imgss&id=253[/img]
Description ::
This is my first game with an AI. Basically, you are an "O" and you are trying to escape from an "X". However, there's a catch. Whenever a "portal" opens up, you have to get to it before the X does. It's fairly challenging, and will keep you entertained. It is complete with a tamper-resistant high score and name. For the game story, read the readme, which has much more information.

View File
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 06:02:53 pm    Post subject:

Wow. This is really basic. I made a game like this about 2 months ago (I only started learning BASIC when school started). It was called "Avoid the Pi". It raised a lot of fuss due to its stupidity--all you did was avoid the pi symbol for as long as possible to delay its revenge for eating its pie buddies. Eventually I made a version where the walls closed in on you--*sighs*the good old days when I knew nothing of the power of BASIC....about 2 weeks ago, i remade it and called it "Ninja Pi". With my newfound skills I found you could get the pie to move blazingly fast--my friend saw it and called it Ninja Pi--where the name comes from. Of course, there was lower difficulties, but it was entertaining none the less. You couldn't get any higher score on Ninja difficulty than 6 Laughing.

Still, overall great gameplay. Runs decently fast, not too slow. Probably could be faster, but it's OK. Nice concept too. The AI is extremely smart--it may be slow, but it's smart. In Avoid Pi, there was a very interesting unintended side effect--if the pi gets too close it will lunge. I understand why it does it now, but it add some interesting gameplay. Why do all my glitches seem to do something fun to the game? (Points to invisible food in Nibbles and Wormi X).

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2006 06:07:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
trigkid213

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 06:30:44 pm    Post subject:

Uhh...I think this is about Portal, not "Avoid the PI." Also, sometimes it's nice to make a game without any glitches; no matter how "fun" they may be they're always annoying. I think the most "fun" glitch is in Wormi X: Every time you eat 23 food squares your head detaches and after a second you get ERR: INVALID DIM ... anyway, I was just playing around with an AI, then made it smarter and smarter until I had a game. I spent a while making sure there was no possible way for it to screw up before I submitted it, and also added a menu and tamper detection for the high score. If you do find a glitch, please post it (though there aren't any! :biggrin: ) It is "basic" in the sense that it is homescreen based, but extremely stable. I didn't want to make the AI any faster because it would have been virtually impossible to beat.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Dec 2006 06:36:31 pm    Post subject:

Sorry. It's just what it reminded me of...

And I never got to eat 23 squares in wormi x--I'm not that great at nibbles.

And the AI goes at a good speed for your purpose.
trigkid213

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 02:44:42 pm    Post subject:

I noticed Portal is 2007 bytes - maybe I should have waited 'til New Years'... Smile
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 07:17:52 pm    Post subject:

Ha! I didn't notice that......"A New Portal for a New Year"....ha ha ha!
trigkid213

Posted: 22 Dec 2006 09:42:23 pm    Post subject:

nice.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement