This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 05:34:56 pm    Post subject:

I can't say its really less safe than any other browser. Sure everyone says Internet Explorer is less safe well becasue look at Microsofts reputation. Anyway you should always play it safe no matter what browser. If you don't do anything stupid than I doubt you'll get burnned. I've used IE for about 6 years and I haven't been burned and yes I do buy stuff online a lot.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 05:53:08 pm    Post subject:

I would have to call "insufficient data" on that one. One person using one browser even for several years doesn't really provide sufficient information to say anything about the browser's security with reasonable certainty.

However, the "don't do stupid stuff" suggestion is certainly valid.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 06:30:03 pm    Post subject:

I know thats true but I can give information only form my experience. Anyway I don't know if you said don't do stupid stuff was certainly valid was sarcastic although it didn't seem that way, but I only said that meaning don't give out personal information on a pop up you might have gotten or through some spam email.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 04:52:34 am    Post subject:

Internet Explorer is very insecure especially older versions. IE7 is better; I think, but I have not used it long enough to pass judgement, nor have I used it on Vista.

Windows 98 does not support IE 7, but it may support IE 6.5 or whatever version came right before IE 7. I do not know if you have 98 or 98SE, but if you have 98, just forget about it.

If you have 98SE, you can run IE 6.x okay. However, you should plan on getting rid of 98 soon. It is terrible.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 06:56:48 am    Post subject:

There's nothing wrong with windows 98 on older computers, I have it on my 633mhz celeron and it works juuuust fine. You have to know how to use it for a bit.

Just get IE6, you need it for some programs like Adobe Reader or even windows functions...
Then install Opera (firefox is good too, but as you are using an older comp obviously, Opera is a bit faster and less ramhoggy).
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 04:08:32 pm    Post subject:

There is plenty wrong with Windows 98; hence, just about everyone and every company that runs it upgraded.

Other than being unreliable, unstable, unsupported by Microsoft, highly insecure, not scalable, not good for networking, it is just fine.

Windows 98 is highly unlikely to be on computers assembled within the last 5 years. It does not even support most games; hence, it is good for little more than browsing the Internet, doing word processing, and viewing documents.

Since you are not going to use it to run any recent Windows programs, nor does it support gaming, you may as well switch to Operating Systems released under the BSD or GNU licence. I.e. BSD or Linux would run faster, be more stable, work better with networking, be more secure, more scalable, and run better on that old equipment anyway. I say there are very few situations where Windows 98 is appropriate. People who run Windows 98 are just behind everyone else and do not like to upgarde.
Cure

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 12:55:16 pm    Post subject:

Windows ME runs faster on my old laptop than Ubuntu Linux 6.10 Confused

I'm not sure what I should do there...

I currently have FreeBSD installed on the laptop, but I have no idea to install all the drivers, etc. (The laptop has no ethernet jack, only a wireless card).

Last edited by Guest on 30 Dec 2006 12:55:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 01:54:02 pm    Post subject:

NDISWRAPPER is what needs to be installed. Just find a FreeBSD package.
Cure

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 02:09:19 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't even have USB drivers installed. ><

Are there ASM compilers for FreeBSD?
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 03:10:42 pm    Post subject:

http://wikiti.denglend.net/index.php?title...systems#FreeBSD
Cure

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 03:11:39 pm    Post subject:

sigma wrote:

That's good to see, but I've still yet to find a driver pack for BSD.

And the people on the BSD forums are no help. Dry
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 03:14:38 pm    Post subject:

You get better help on the mailing lists.
Cure

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 07:15:44 pm    Post subject:

strben wrote:
All the drivers you  probably need are already there.  I have never had to load a driver. 

You may need to configure your Kernel or tell the system in a config file to load needed driver.

You should make a specific request on this forum so others will know what you are trying to do and can help with the configuration.  Before posting you should do a search in the forums and on the web to see if others have configured similar hardware and how they did it. 

...  Just get the hardware name or model # and search on Yahoo for something like:

[Model No.] FreeBSD

and see what you get.  You will probably find your answer and not even need to ask on the forum. 

From my own experience I can tell you that USB stuff is likely already there.  It may just need to be enabled in the Kernel.  Check out the handbook.

I got this reply on the forum...how do I tell the kernel to load certain drivers?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Dec 2006 11:33:48 pm    Post subject:

modprobe drivername

i.e.

me@mycomputerrunningfreebsd$ su
Password:
me@mycomputerrunningfreebsd#modprobe usb-storage

Now, insert the memory stick and mount its partition somewhere.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Dec 2006 08:05:23 am    Post subject:

Cure777 wrote:
Windows ME runs faster on my old laptop than Ubuntu Linux 6.10  Confused
My 633 does exactly the same, Windows 98, ME and 2K run fine but Ubuntu Linux is unusable, to the point where it has full second lag on the cursor and crashes whenever I use a program.

Quote:
It does not even support most games; hence, it is good for little more than browsing the Internet, doing word processing, and viewing documents.
I doubt Linux supports more games than win98. Actually, some of my favourite games (Simcity 3000, Roller Coaster Tycoon, Worms 2, Age of Empires 2, Morrowind) work better on windows 98 than on windows XP. (Although my computer is too slow to run Morrowind, even Bethesda admits it runs better on 98: the required specs are lower).

And really, a lot of people don't want their computer to do anything more than what you described. If you want to play the latest games, you'll just have to get a new PC, which most likely will come with windows XP. If you just want to browse the 'net, there's nothing wrong with 98, especially on computers with low ram that can't run winXP.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Jan 2007 04:41:30 pm    Post subject:

Agreed that on low ram machines 98 works better than XP.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Jan 2007 07:04:27 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Cure777 wrote:
My 633 does exactly the same, Windows 98, ME and 2K run fine but Ubuntu Linux is unusable, to the point where it has full second lag on the cursor and crashes whenever I use a program.[post="93910"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Try xubuntu. It's lighter and faster for older hardware. Running a modern GNOME distribution on machines with little RAM is asking for trouble, just like XP would be.
Cure

Posted: 03 Jan 2007 07:08:05 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
leofox wrote:
Cure777 wrote:
My 633 does exactly the same, Windows 98, ME and 2K run fine but Ubuntu Linux is unusable, to the point where it has full second lag on the cursor and crashes whenever I use a program.[post="93910"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Try xubuntu. It's lighter and faster for older hardware. Running a modern GNOME distribution on machines with little RAM is asking for trouble, just like XP would be.
[post="94168"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I've actually used Xubuntu quite a bit on that laptop, and yes it is fast. I just feel like I can do more on it with Windows ME.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Jan 2007 08:18:04 pm    Post subject:

Much of what makes XP slow is the skinning and GUI features. For instance, the real minimums I think should be listed as this:

98 64 MB
2000 128 MB
XP 256 MB
Ubuntu 256 MB

You get the idea. You will really want twice that much memory for each of those Operating System's to be happy. Yeah, if you try running Ubuntu with only 64 MB of ram for instnace, it is not going to run well. That is the GUI though.

If you stop the gdm to unload Gnome and the GUI environment, I bet it runs great at the command shell.

Windows 98 and ME both stink due to their lack of overall featuers and stability. They are really a decade old OS that is past its prime. Windows 2000 for slow mahines is typically better than XP. It was released around the time of ME (slightly before), and is much better than ME. Additionally, 2000 offeres almost everything that XP does though the two of them are becoming farther apart. XP is starting to look and act like Windows Vista with all of its face lifts, IE7 , MP11, Widnows Firewall, AntiVirus Protection, Improved MSI installer... Heck, I think Microsoft has re-programmed XP almost entirely since its first release. It is as good as it gets for Windows Desktop right now.

When Vista comes out, I am not going to jump on board.
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Jan 2007 02:11:00 am    Post subject:

I'm basically in the same boat as you. My Dad has an ancient computer: Pentium 3, 128 MB RAM, that is really not fit for running XP, but he uses XP anyway. Meanwhile I have an even older computer: Pentium 2, 192 MB RAM, with Windows 98 SE. Our primary computer is an iMac G5 with 1GB RAM. To compile programs, I have to use the old Pentium 2, which has IE 5 and no internet. My parents won't let me load a different OS onto it, and I don't think I could, anyway. I use TILP 6.81, which is very unstable with my SilverLink, because TILP2 is even more unstable with the SilverLink. I have to reconfigure TILP each time I use it, too. I found a site that has a download for IE 6; could you tell me if it seems safe to you and/or scan it with your antivirus software for me? Preferring Mac, I don't know much about malicious sites and viruses, and since my computer has no antivirus whatsoever, I am afraid to run this file.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jan 2007 02:13:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement