This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 09:38:16 pm    Post subject:

Hey how can I upgrade a 98 from IE 5? Preferably 6, also Where can I get other versions like 4? also the 98 doesn't have internet, but I still need an update.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 09:40:20 pm    Post subject:

http://www.google.com/search?q=download+internet+explorer

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 09:44:14 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing you mean Windows 98 SE?

http://cws.internet.com/file/11714.htm

That the address to download IE 6 SP1 for Windows 98. Why would you want it?, and do something about getting away from Win 98. Its bad for your health and even Microsoft doesn't recommend you using it.

BTW check for updates after installing it and stop being lazy. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2006 09:49:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 09:44:19 pm    Post subject:

I actually ws looking for something other than searching so that I could avoid putting a virus on my computer.

Edit: Newbie I need it for TI-Connect, Tilp won't work and also that will down;oad it from microsoft, It doesn't have internet, and I know that 98 isn't good, I plan to upgrade soon, after vista comes out. (New years resolution lol)

Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2006 09:46:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Dec 2006 09:45:37 pm    Post subject:

You could scan the file before installation. . . .

You need Windows 98 for Ti-Connect? You could use XP and then just run it in compatibility mode with 98 SE.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2006 09:48:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
myfavcolorchanges

Posted: 07 Dec 2006 04:20:02 pm    Post subject:

No the XP is the dfamiliy computer, and I'd llike to use my personal 98 for TI connect, but it claims to need IE 5.5 or better.
Cure

Posted: 07 Dec 2006 04:36:22 pm    Post subject:

If you're that worried about viruses you shouldn't be using IE...
Dry
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 07 Dec 2006 08:29:07 pm    Post subject:

Does FF work at all on a Win 98 SE?

I have myself a Win98 SE. But i use TI-Connect with my new computer (XP). Why are you using a 98 anyway???

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Dec 2006 08:52:02 pm    Post subject:

He said he uses it only for the fact that its his own personal computer. To be honest I love using IE 7 because its way better than firefox in my opinion. Mainly because its faster.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Dec 2006 09:09:52 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
To be honest I love using IE 7 because its way better than firefox in my opinion. Mainly because its faster.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH- haha. ha.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 07 Dec 2006 10:08:39 pm    Post subject:

Faster??????? No way, it's pretty much slower, and also the site adress bar is not movable, and you can't put a user bar (like the google one) at the same level or upper than the Menu bar, which takes alot of space and looks very lousy.

It isn't faster. I had to remove the site filtering (that would send every adress you go to microsoft to check on some list for I don't know what, but it takes time...). It also made that Gmail didn't open, so I had to remove that and a bunch of other stupid things that were default-enabled. And also, when you open it, you can just select through the scrolling menu for the site you want to go, but after 1-2 seconds, it closes, even if you had chosen something and then IE7 truely opens (it takes somuch time!!). I'm considering changing for FF, but I'm sure if i do that my parents will kill me of not having IE (because it is less official and not supported by Microsoft they would say)
benryves

Posted: 08 Dec 2006 09:33:22 am    Post subject:

I've found IE7 to be significantly slower than previous versions of IE on lower end machines. It's just as fast as IE6 was on my own machine.

The phishing filter strips out various parts of the URL (such as query strings which might contain sensitive information) and sends it to Microsoft, but not in all cases. Look here for information about it.

I've had no issues positioning menu bars or custom toolbars.

That said, if you find IE too slow, you could try Opera (which is the fastest of the "big 3" Windows browsers). It doesn't leak memory like a sieve ala Firefox, which is probably the reason people find Firefox slow.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 01:52:14 am    Post subject:

I know this seems a bit off topic now... but to install the latest available version of IE on your win98 computer simply go to http://www.windowsupdate.com and select it... you really should download the other updates as well, especially if you have a broadband internet connection...

oh, and in case you were worrying Smile windowsupdate doesn't have validity check for windows prior to winXP, and even then microsoft won't bust you. The microsoft policy as spoken by Bill Gates: If they're pirating software, best that they pirate our software!
(haven't been able to find the exact wording on the internet, but I saw it in a television interview once)

anyway, bottom line is, even if one's win98 shouldn't 100% legal microsoft still let one update it from windowsupdate

/wrigley

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 06:48:26 pm    Post subject:

Fallen Ghost,
I didn't have any of those problems, and I sure didn't have to go through Microsoft to visit any site. I find it to be just as fast as firefox. One thing I don't like about Fire Fox is you need an extention for everything you do. It drives me insane installing extention after extention I hate it. By the time I'm done intalling extentions Fire Fox is twice the size it origianlly was. Although right now I am using Netscape which has some firefox elements to it as well as IE.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Dec 2006 06:50:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 07:18:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Although right now I am using Netscape which has some firefox elements...

Interesting, wonder why that is.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 08:07:00 pm    Post subject:

It also has internet explorer elements too, but netscape is not extenetion hungruy like fire fox is which I don't like at all.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 08:44:20 pm    Post subject:

Rezek wrote:
Newbie wrote:
Couldn't be the fact that Netscape Browser 8.0 is based on Firefox code.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Dec 2006 08:44:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 09:21:17 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Rezek wrote:
Newbie wrote:
Couldn't be the fact that Netscape Browser 8.0 is based on Firefox code.
[post="92988"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Nah, don't read that far into my post.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 11:09:48 pm    Post subject:

According to research Internet Explorer is faster in more cases than fire fox.

Statistic Video
Chart

"Internet Explorer on Windows was either as fast as - or faster than Mozilla and Firefox for most tasks, with the exception of scripts, where it took over twice as long."
- http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#

You can believe whatever you want. I don't care. But in my experinces with the two browsers Internet Explorer is faster than Fire Fox.
Cure

Posted: 23 Dec 2006 04:32:07 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
According to research Internet Explorer is faster in more cases than fire fox.

Statistic Video
Chart

"Internet Explorer on Windows was either as fast as - or faster than Mozilla and Firefox for most tasks, with the exception of scripts, where it took over twice as long."
                    - http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html#

You can believe whatever you want. I don't care.  But in my experinces with the two browsers Internet  Explorer is faster than Fire Fox.
[post="93002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'd give it a try, I'm just concerned about it's safety.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement