This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 09:08:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
2. After getting a bunch of Adware, I got this tiny prog on my old computer that let me checkbox the programs I wanted windows to run on startup. Naturally, the adware always went unchecked. Is there something like that for XP?

Try going to the Run command and typing in 'msconfig', that should be what you are looking for.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 10:37:21 pm    Post subject:

D'oh! I can't believe it was that simple! :biggrin:
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 12:51:11 am    Post subject:

HiJackThis is far superior as it lets you fix browser related issues too.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/index.php

Has a tutorial and everything. Start your adware cleanup at that websie. That guy is loard of his domain to say the least.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 03:38:06 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Whooooohoo!  Getting a case of super-bright LEDs for a case lighting mod today or tomorrow.
Be carefull if they're uv leds, don't want to sunburn.

Quote:
The new keyboard is pretty sweet.  Not ergonomic, but nicer than my old one that was starting to give me a wrist pain.  Shutdown/Standby buttons for the win...
Media keys are overrated. The case on/off button should be reachable, unless you put it on the ground like me which is pretty stupid considering dust management. ; ) Dell USB keyboard for the win.

Quote:
1.  I set the windows color scheme from the default blue to silver.  I notice during startup, the blue setting still appears for a split second and is replaced by the silver once thing really get going.  Maybe I'm nitpicking on speed here, but is there a way to make windows stop doing that?
WellI don't get that so it should be fixable. What other users do you have set up (including admin and guest) and what themes are they set to use? Might be that the default user it uses before it logs you in uses the blue theme. Maybe look into switching fast user switching on/off.

Quote:
3.  Will Windows get screwed over if I delete MSN and messenger?  I know the two are dependent on each other, but is windows dependent on them?  Messenger is gumming up the works.
MSN messenger is not dependant on windows messenger nor vice versa. Removing either won't mess anything up, but Windows won't let you remove Windows Messenger completely, easily. Just disable it from starting up. How you could get messenger to gum anything up on a 4200 x2 is beyond me, though.

Quote:
4.  Windows update keep making folders on my root directory with names like "jhoiquy948qhr4981845u94813h."  It's annoying.  Does it have to do that?[post="96471"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
What root directory?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 03:05:38 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Be carefull if they're uv leds, don't want to sunburn.

605nm Orange for the side/front + "warm white" leds for the back (like classic white leds but with no bluish tinge) . Cool It's gonna look pretty sweet. Might mod the mouse and keyboard scheme too. I'm going overboard!

Quote:
Media keys are overrated. The case on/off button should be reachable, unless you put it on the ground like me which is pretty stupid considering dust management. ; ) Dell USB keyboard for the win.

I got my power button on the 4-second delay thing. Used to reset it by accident a lot. A couple buttons are already assigned TI-related functions.

Quote:
1.WellI don't get that so it should be fixable. What other users do you have set up (including admin and guest) and what themes are they set to use? Might be that the default user it uses before it logs you in uses the blue theme. Maybe look into switching fast user switching on/off.

I have an account for my little sister but it's gone unused for a while. I might try taking it off there for now (XP still asks me for my non-existent password).

Quote:
MSN messenger is not dependent on windows messenger nor vice versa. Removing either won't mess anything up, but Windows won't let you remove Windows Messenger completely, easily. Just disable it from starting up. How you could get messenger to gum anything up on a 4200 x2 is beyond me, though.

Trying to squeeze that last 0.01% of performance out of it I guess. :biggrin:

Quote:
What root directory?

They're going straight onto C: and there's 3 so far. It's really not that big a deal but I'm wondering just how many of these folders I'll wind up with eventually. There's a windows update out like every 2 seconds.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2007 03:06:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Feb 2007 10:35:42 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm....sparks shot out of my fan after replacing the 4th LED. Computer's okay.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 12:23:25 am    Post subject:

Turn the power off. X-(
I killed my motherboard because I neglected that simple rule.

(Unless of course the sparks were after you reapplied power.)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 01:28:14 am    Post subject:

Yeah, with a 450W supply and a potentially electrified soldering iron I didn't exactly do this live. Strangely, the mod was working until the 4th led was substituted (swapped the first one...tested okay...swapped the 2nd...was okay...). Will investigate more tomorrow... Curse you, newegg! Where are your orange case fans?!!?

Last edited by Guest on 07 Feb 2007 01:29:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Feb 2007 03:46:43 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I got my power button on the 4-second delay thing.  Used to reset it by accident a lot.  A couple buttons are already assigned TI-related functions.
Go into BIOS, enable suspend to RAM, work on PC, press power button, press power button again. Bask in the glory.

Quote:
I have an account for my little sister but it's gone unused for a while.  I might try taking it off there for now (XP still asks me for my non-existent password).

They're going straight onto C: and there's 3 so far.  It's really not that big a deal but I'm wondering just how many of these folders I'll wind up with eventually.  There's a windows update out like every 2 seconds.
[post="96527"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Ok, I've never had these problems so I'll try some things when I'm home again. I've disabled automatic updates though, I don't see any point to them whatsoever. You should be able to hide these temp folders (do you have show hidden files or show system files enabled?) or set the directory to something else, like hide it deep inside the windows folder or something, but I thought that's where they went by default. ("C:\Windows\NtUninstallKB478563786$" etc)
Cure

Posted: 10 Feb 2007 07:29:48 pm    Post subject:

With my last installation I also had a problem where Windows tried to download one update (the same one) and minute or 2. But now I'm on a new installation.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Feb 2007 03:06:44 am    Post subject:

Remove the Widnows Update via Add/Remove programs then restart annd try to isntall it again. If that fails, continue reading.

To fix updates that continue to install but never actually succeed, use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, which can be downloaded here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

What it does is remove the Widnows Installer information from the Database; hence, the Windows Installer Service (Windows Package Management) will not recognize the current update or package has ever been installed. Hence it shold install like the first time again.

This utility was created by Microsoft to end stalemate situations. Essentially, sometimes a packgate gets damageed and cannot be uninstalled via Add/Remove programs because it is not fully installed or its uninstaller is borken. Additionally, the same package cannot be re-installed or installed again becuase it is already marked as installed. This cases a stale-mate situation where as you have a broken program, which cannot be reapired or removed. Worst is when a package is being installed and does not complete the install, yet also fails at teh roll-back. This puts the Widnows Installer Service in a hung state where it will pretty much indefinitly try to resolve the dependencies of a bad package.

Have you ever restarted a computer and had the Windows Installer Popup continuously and never complete but keep retrying?

When these symptoms happen, it is best to kill MSIEXEC.exe or whatever process is running doing the install then Run the aformentioned Widnows Installer Cleanup Utility. Finally, Install the package again. It should overwrite all of its files and registry entries.

If you want to remove a stuck package because you decide you do not want it, you should kill MSIEXEC.exe, Remove the Windows Installer Information, Install the Package to bring it to a state of being fully installed and properly revisioned and accounted, then uninstall it.

Last but not least I speak as a Microsoft Certified Professional when I say this, DO NOT remove any of these type of folders. C:\Windows\NtUninstallKB478563786$

If newer updates or revisions to that update are created, it may depend on the proper unisntall information existing in the folder. If you are going to remove those folders, you should properly uninstall the update via Add/Remove Programs via "Show Updates" checked. Sometimes MSI packages install or update a various feature; hence, it is dependent upon some data left on the system. A good example of this is with Microsoft Office. When you install Office without installing every feature, it will automatically add features as you use them. Additionally, MSI packages are Fault-Tolerant. They are designed to repair damage to your installed software. Hence, if something bad happens such as some missing registry settings or files, typically the MSI installer will pop-up wink an eye at you and in several seconds to a few minutes fix the problem on-the-fly.

Removing Windows Installer Information should NEVER be done on properly working packages. Although this in itself will not break the program, it will make the package unmanageable. You will not be able to remove it, manage its features, or update it with a higher revision. It will not be detected or eligible for updates.

The Widnows Installer Clean-Up Utility is a last resort utility, which should be used only to resolve specificly damanged MSI packages,.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 8 of 8 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement