This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
United-TI Archives -> Computer Tech Support

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 03:06:52 am    Post subject:

Yeah works fine. Necessary too, as most mainboards have barely enough IDE connectors to connect a single harddrive and a single optical drive or two optical drives (yay SATA). I think mine only has one and I don't even intend to use it.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 07:44:30 pm    Post subject:

Alright! Looks like it's time for some calc-file-copying.

Everything seems to be mostly stable so far. There's just this weird thing that happens when I play two 3D games back-to-back. When I start up the second game, the gameplay will go x10 to x100 faster than normal for a split second. Usually when my character turns. If I try to recreate it immediately after restarting, the game's 100% normal. This happened with Tribes 2, GTA: San Andreas, and Serious Sam II. Maybe 3D Mark will shed some pixels on the situation?

Last edited by Guest on 10 Jan 2007 07:44:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Jan 2007 08:15:32 pm    Post subject:

Patch the games to the latest patch, make sure you have XP with Service Pack 2 all patched including the latest Direct X and patches.

Additionally, verify you have the latest video drivers.

Good Luck.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 01:07:41 am    Post subject:

Okay, I added the old Seagate drive as a channel 1 secondary slave but I can't stop the BIOS from booting from it. Everytime I start the computer, windows ME loads. When I try to change the boot order, I don't even see my SATA drive listed. Any ideas on getting it to boot from SATA instead of IDE?

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2007 01:24:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 08:20:31 pm    Post subject:

You will have to go into the boot area of your BIOS and change the boot order. Which motherboard do you have?

I will need to pull up the manual to find this information. However, essentially you just do your best.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 08:32:14 pm    Post subject:

It's an ECS NFORCE4M-A (V3.0). The paper manual was is little brief on SATA details. Until then, I've been copying using a floppy and a $4 15MB mp3 player (surplus), but the HDD method would really speed things up. Maybe the BIOS considers SATA drives an "add-on" device?

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2007 08:33:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jan 2007 09:51:55 pm    Post subject:

Perhaps putting the drive in an external enclosure would make your life easier? I did that for a 2.5" drive laptop drive and it works quite well.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2007 01:38:03 am    Post subject:

I guess I could try that. The flash drive I left back in Austin should be arriving tomorrow to let me copy over the last of my files. But I'll still try to figure out this HDD thing in case I want to try new OSes in the future. (Was interesting seeing "Windows ME" appear on my new PC that first time)
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2007 09:44:13 pm    Post subject:

Well I finally transferred all the calc files to the new computer. On account of our apartment's crappy wireless design, I've had no internet since I installed the latest Win XP updates Thursday. Even when the web did work, the signal was pitiful and the speed was barely faster than dialup. I'll be swiching to high-speed cable.

The updates did stop the weird x100 gameplay speed thing. The only weird thing I noticed in Everst is it keeps saying the memory is DDR2-737 instead of the 800 on the package. Is this a big deal?

Also, when I transfer files in from the old PC I notice two hidden files that come in mostly every folder. "desktop.ini" and "thumbs.db". Delete em?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jan 2007 09:44:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jan 2007 11:35:31 pm    Post subject:

The desktop.ini file is a text file that allows you to specify how a file system folder will be viewed. It can be deleted, although the appearance/setup of a folder may be altered as a result.

The thumbs.db file is the cached thumbnail image for files containing video or pictures, although I have seen it in other files as well. Basically, it is supposed to make displaying the thumbnails faster when you open the folder. I find them completely useless.

To get rid of them in XP, open windows explorer (or any folder since it will be opened in explorer) and select "Folder Options..." under the Tools menu.

1. Select the View tab.
2. In the list of Advanced Settings you should find a checkbox with "Do not cache thumbnails" to the right of it.
3. Check that box.
4. Now hit the "Apply to all folders" button near the top of the window.

Thumbnails should now be disabled and you can delete all instances of them without worrying about them re-appearing.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 02:48:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Well I finally transferred all the calc files to the new computer. On account of our apartment's crappy wireless design, I've had no internet since I installed the latest Win XP updates Thursday. Even when the web did work, the signal was pitiful and the speed was barely faster than dialup. I'll be swiching to high-speed cable.
Try the manufacturer's software instead of XP (which is crap).
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 03:38:45 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Well I finally transferred all the calc files to the new computer.  On account of our apartment's crappy wireless design, I've had no internet since I installed the latest Win XP updates Thursday.  Even when the web did work, the signal was pitiful and the speed was barely faster than dialup.  I'll be swiching to high-speed cable.

The updates did stop the weird x100 gameplay speed thing.  The only weird thing I noticed in Everst is it keeps saying the memory is DDR2-737 instead of the 800 on the package.  Is this a big deal?

Also, when I transfer files in from the old PC I notice two hidden files that come in mostly every folder.  "desktop.ini" and "thumbs.db".  Delete em?
[post="95109"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Turn on a full POST screen and see what the bios says in white text before loading Windows. IF it does not say DDR2 800, see if you can tweak some settings. Often on Nforce boards you have to set them to do SPD.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 05:26:53 am    Post subject:

Yeah you can run DDR 800 in any of the speeds that your mobo supports up to 800, it could be set too low, but Everest is a bit silly about some things as it says similar things about my RAM (and that half my hardware isn't supported by Everest yet) which is set to 800 for sure (according to BIOS and nview).

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jan 2007 05:27:27 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Jan 2007 06:52:04 pm    Post subject:

You are okay then if the motherboard says it is running at proper speed.

Basically, the software just does some multiplication of bus speed to find the memory speed.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 02:24:23 pm    Post subject:

Well these Everest benches won't mark themselves... (Posts Everest)

Also found out my computer was being blocked for "showing signs of possible spyware/adware infection." They came in an run antivirus, nothing showed up. I think it was the old 802.11 client software constantly checking for updates. Will still probably get cable internet.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Jan 2007 08:50:08 pm    Post subject:

The memory bus is 368. Do you have it set for SPD?

I would expect the memory bus to show 400
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 02:13:41 pm    Post subject:

It's really weird. The BIOS identifies it as 400. There is a setting in "Advanced chipset features" (I think) that says "enable MaxMemClk" or something to that effect. Right now that's set to "auto."
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Jan 2007 05:39:58 pm    Post subject:

Well, 800 is actually 400 hence the DDR 2.

I.e. SDRAM 100, then SDRAM 133, the Rambus flop that died out, then DDR 266, which is SDRAM 133 in Double Data Mode. 266 * 8 =PC 2100. That is how it was calculated.

Next was DDR 333 aka PC2700 (actually SDRAM 166 on DDR Bus)

Next DDR 400 aka PC3200 (actually SDRAM 200 on DDR Bus)

Your memory is DDR2, which is a doubling doubling essentially. Regardless, DDR 2 800 is really DDR 400 only doubled again. Still performs much better.

The BIOS should be just fine.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jan 2007 06:12:22 pm    Post subject:

Well, my new keyboard, 2 case fans (gonna mod the LED color), and USB->PS/2 converter should arrive tomorrow or Friday. Overall this computer performs way better in gaming than I thought it would for only $600. Really glad I built it over buying the $250 1.2GHz I was considering. Anyway, the reviews I submitted so far...

The Case Review (*)(*)(*)(*)( ) wrote:
Pleased overall. Despite minor problems.

Pros: Great style, flawless wiring, lightweight...and how many can say they have a turbine in their front panel? Making use of the 120mm fan slot delivered some serious internal climate control. And despite its share of bad reviews, a mid-range GPU, multiple hard disks, and a system stability test wasn't enough to bring down the power supply. My case came dent-free.

Cons: To echo many others, the exterior is a very thin metal. On arrival, broken bits from the front covers hinges fell out the door like a candy dispenser. Alternatively, that panel locks on magnetically so I didn't miss the hinges for long.

Other Thoughts: This case has me hooked on side panel windows. Most would say the quality control is lacking, so consider a stronger design if your budget allows. Otherwise, the very low cost, great form factor support, included screws+spacers, and other nice internals prove there's still some substance beneath the bling. 4 out of 5.

The Graphics Card Review (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) wrote:
Great price/performance index

Pros: Great price for the performance you get out of it. As of early '07 this is advertised as the lower-middle-end of the GeForce 7 series. Between an Athlon 4200+ and PC6400 SDRAM, expect to play San Andreas -plus most other games- with peak visuals, max resolution, and fps to spare. Probably worth noting Newegg shipped the fan-cooled cousin of the 7600GS Classic versus the heatsink version shown. Bonus points for fast delivery. In my best Adam Sessler impression, I give it a 5...out of 5.

Cons: none

Other Thoughts: none

The 120mm fan, memory, DVD drive, and my current order are still awaiting reviews. I'd like to figure out this "DDR2-737" stuff Everst is giving me about the memory. Also, my DVD drive is disturbingly loud for some reason. Everything else looks good.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Jan 2007 06:15:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Feb 2007 06:22:25 pm    Post subject:

Whooooohoo! Getting a case of super-bright LEDs for a case lighting mod today or tomorrow. The new keyboard is pretty sweet. Not ergonomic, but nicer than my old one that was starting to give me a wrist pain. Shutdown/Standby buttons for the win...

1. I set the windows color scheme from the default blue to silver. I notice during startup, the blue setting still appears for a split second and is replaced by the silver once thing really get going. Maybe I'm nitpicking on speed here, but is there a way to make windows stop doing that?

2. After getting a bunch of Adware, I got this tiny prog on my old computer that let me checkbox the programs I wanted windows to run on startup. Naturally, the adware always went unchecked. Is there something like that for XP?

3. Will Windows get screwed over if I delete MSN and messenger? I know the two are dependent on each other, but is windows dependent on them? Messenger is gumming up the works.

4. Windows update keep making folders on my root directory with names like "jhoiquy948qhr4981845u94813h." It's annoying. Does it have to do that?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 8 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement