This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 02:07:46 am    Post subject:

Note to self and United-TI. burr was selected to recieve the free domain name and hosting for 1 year.

I forgot to address your questions about whether the site will grow and playing by your rules, so I'll do that in this PM.

I am thinking of installing a wiki on the site, so that everybody can contribute to it. There are lots of knowledgeable TI-Basic programmers in the TI community, and I think some of them would be interested in contributing. Of course, I will continue to work on the site myself -- lead by example. My primary goal with the site is to create a central place for TI-Basic information.

Part of the reason for asking you to host was because I didn't want to have ads on the site. I personally think ads are just tacky and a nuisance; they disrupt the site content. Concerning discrimination, I don't think that will even be an issue. Everybody is more than welcome to participate and use the site.

Steve Hartmann

Justin,

Thanks for deciding to host the site. I have put some thought into both options, and I think I would like to go with option #1. Since the site name is TI-Basic Developer, I think tibasicdev.net would be a good URL for the site. For the site admins, I have decided to go with myself, Weregoose, DarkerLine, and Alexrudd. I have to ask DarkerLine and Alexrudd whether they want to be an admin, though, so that's still kind of premature. Thanks again for providing the hosting. I really appreciate it.

Steve Hartmann

Quote:
Hello,

I spoke with AlienCC and you have a great deal of content.

We have both reviewed all pages of your website and are impressed with it.  We like the idea and feel it is geared towards the community.

We would like to accept you and cover your hosting costs.

However, we have one question.  Will your site grow?  We only wish to buy a brand new domain for a website that will grow, and we are only offering to buy that domain for 1 year.

So, you have two options:

1.  We buy you a domain of your choice and host you.  We pay for the domain for only 1 year.  This offer only stands if you promise to develop your website further durring the period of time we host.  After a year, we will evaluate the progress of the website and hold a meeting to determine if we renew sponsorship or if we hand it back to you to sponsor your own website.

2.  We give you hosting and a subdomain of United-TI.  I.e. developer.unitedti.org or something to that extent.  You would get to choose.  With this option, there is no cost to us; therefore, we offer to host your sub domain indefinitly/forever.

Either way, YOU remain the owner of your own content no matter what.  We would be just a sponsor.  As your sponsor, you would have to play buy our rules, which basically say you cannot descriminate, you cannot post ads to generate revenue, and you must make the website grow.  You would be permitted to drop us as your sponsor at any time.  In other words if you are unhappy, you can drop us, but once dropped we don't pay for anything.  If you drop us as your sponsor, you would be allowed to  post ads et cetera.  Essentially, we do not want sites we host to be plastered with advertisements, nor do we want sites we sponsor to generate revenue off of us.

As I said, you would be the owner.

If interested, choose option 1 or option 2.  With option 2, you are not required to make the website grow, but we still hope you do.

-NETWiz

Justin,

I have been working on a TI-83+ TI-Basic guide for a while now, with the goal of covering most of the TI-Basic commands in the manual. I want the guide to be as complete and useful as possible, that way it can help the beginner TI-Basic programmer become a competent programmer. Although the guide is currently hosted on freewebs, I would like to get it hosted on UTI because you guys provide plenty of bandwidth and space. Besides that, I think it would make an excellent UTI project.

Steve Hartmann
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 02:08:40 am    Post subject:

I am going to pay for the Domain Name and AlienCC has agreed to setup the hosting. I just needed to get this organized to avoid forgetting.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 04:49:49 pm    Post subject:

If there was any question, I accepted the offered administration position, and I'm sure DarkerLine did too.

Unfortunately the project has lost a little steam as of late, but it has the infrastructure in place to expand. When I am finished with a few other things I hope to start contributing again.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 08:01:00 pm    Post subject:

No question. This is just a reminder to myself. It should happen after the server upgrade.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement