This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. United-TI Top Management => Website
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 02:00:39 am    Post subject:

Aliencc is working on http://beta.unitedti.org

He is going to roll that out soon, so expect updates from him in this topic.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 04:51:34 pm    Post subject:

AlienCC: Do you want us to offer suggestions here, or in PM's?

I just noticed that the FAQ system's tags (HTML and BBCode) appear broken. Other than that, it looks much cleaner and more usable than the old version.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 07:40:50 pm    Post subject:

Suggestions in here are fine.

--AlienCC
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Nov 2006 07:59:53 pm    Post subject:

Some suggestions about the categories for the downloads system:

1. The math categories should include a few science ones as well (maybe physics/chemistry/biology or some such)

2. Also, no matter how many categories we have, there's bound to be a few programs that don't fit into any of the sub-categories of a large one like Math/Science or Games. Maybe make it possible to put a check for these large categories (so that a miscellaneous game would have a check near Games but nowhere else).

3. Finally, maybe the larger categories could stay the same as those we're using now? I like the way they work rather well, there's not a lot of gray area with them.

I really do like what you've done with that though, the rest of the site too.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Nov 2006 08:00:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Nov 2006 12:43:01 pm    Post subject:

I've been checking the beta often. Looks like it's gonna be great!
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Nov 2006 01:34:32 am    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
I just noticed that the FAQ system's tags (HTML and BBCode) appear broken.  Other than that, it looks much cleaner and more usable than the old version.[post="91011"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Those are pretty much pulled straight from the database snapshot I took back in June (2006). Someone (maybe me, maybe not) will need to format them a little nicer (more presentable) when we upgrade the site.

DarkerLine wrote:
Some suggestions about the categories for the downloads system:

1. The math categories should include a few science ones as well (maybe physics/chemistry/biology or some such)

2. Also, no matter how many categories we have, there's bound to be a few programs that don't fit into any of the sub-categories of a large one like Math/Science or Games. Maybe make it possible to put a check for these large categories (so that a miscellaneous game would have a check near Games but nowhere else).

3. Finally, maybe the larger categories could stay the same as those we're using now? I like the way they work rather well, there's not a lot of gray area with them.

I really do like what you've done with that though, the rest of the site too.[post="91025"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

1. I can probably work that in, although it won't be super easy, but it will be easier now then once I get more work done on that section.

2. There is also bound to be some programs that overlap categories, hence the checkboxes rather than radial buttons. Select the closest match(es) and we should be all set.

3. Vague might be white and black, but that's not exactly what I'm going for here. What I'm trying to do is something nobody else has really done before with a download archive in the Ti-community as far as I can tell.

A few reasons I can think of:
Maybe nobody in the community with the skills to implement something like this has wanted to before.
Maybe nobody in the community has had the skills to implement the database portion of this before.
Maybe nobody in the community has thought of implementing it like this before.
Maybe the only people in the community who have thought about it have their archive so entrenched in an archaic manor it would be too painful to convert it to this way.

Some of my goals with the download section are:
Keep it simple.
Easily searchable.
Descriptive by category.
Link to pre-requisite programs (by version, or latest).
Updated programs are linked back to the original upload, all versions kept in the archives.
Pleasant to look at.

--AlienCC
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Nov 2006 02:46:32 am    Post subject:

In the FAQ: Selecting a category or article loads a new page, and of course the content appears to stay the same throughout except for the new block. But, as such, it feels like it's only one page that the user keeps having to scroll through every time he clicks on a new link. To make it more intuitive, I propose giving an id to each centerboxtitle and letting each link jump to the header of the block in which it is nested.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 03:10:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:

These have been added to the existing code.
Quote:
In the FAQ: Selecting a category or article loads a new page, and of course the content appears to stay the same throughout except for the new block. But, as such, it feels like it's only one page that the user keeps having to scroll through every time he clicks on a new link. To make it more intuitive, I propose giving an id to each centerboxtitle and letting each link jump to the header of the block in which it is nested.

This has been updated finally. More updates to follow.

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 29 Dec 2006 03:44:00 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2006 11:40:29 am    Post subject:

Can you add a checkbox for beta versions?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 31 Jan 2007 01:15:50 am    Post subject:

It seems that I have lost most of my motivation to work on this, I still want to get it done, but just haven't been able to find the desire to do it when nothing else is even going on.

--AlienCC
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Sep 2007 06:03:02 am    Post subject:

The beta site isn't off hold quite yet. The good news is some testing of the new version of IPB (2.3.x) is going on.

One of the major roadblocks that made me lose motivation to work on the beta site is now more of an obstacle then a roadblock. Time permitting there is a good chance I will pick this back up again.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement