This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 08 Oct 2006 10:58:10 pm    Post subject:

Nevermind.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2006 11:41:53 am; edited 1 time in total
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 07:00:56 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Now I know this code does basically nothing

Primarily because it's not going to compile.

Quote:
Now this is a pretty interesting buffer overflow, and it's actually an example you might see coded in real life.

Only on thedailywtf.com.
If you really code like this, you need to start the hell over with Hypercard.

Quote:
Been messing around with overflowing buffers today

0MG D00D U PWNX0RZ MY B0XX0RZ L00LL.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2006 07:03:59 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 08:07:01 am    Post subject:

I have no idea where your post comes from. If you can't compile it, you obviously know nothing about C++ to begin with, so the rest of your post is already invalidated. You say that you'd never see that in real life, but tell that to 4411 results for a search on securityfocus. Your last comment seems to be some derogatory remark about someone actually wanting to learn how their computer works. I'm majoring in software engineering. I'm going to be coding for the rest of my life. I need to know how computers actually work, and how people can fuck with my programs. And all that from a 'staff' member too.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2006 08:09:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 08:25:34 am    Post subject:

Right, it doesn't do a good job upholding board rules 1 and 10, which is certainly unexpected of someone in his position. Either Sigma didn't get a lot of sleep last night, or he has forgotten that one of the reasons he was made a staff member was because he was always helpful to people, not abrasive and insulting. This kind of steers that notion in a different direction. Do we want to have a little humility and think of a better way to get our intended message across? Because that last attempt was not amusing at all.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2006 12:21:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 08:37:18 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
If you can't compile it, you obviously know nothing about C++ to begin with
[post="89631"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Wrong. main() always returns int. No exceptions, and it is an outright error to define it otherwise. If your compiler accepts it, your compiler is broken.

I apologize for flying off the handle like that. I really haven't gotten enough sleep and I guess I misread the purpose of your post, which, having read and re-read, still reads like the introduction of a cracking HOWTO.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2006 08:59:36 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 09:16:51 am    Post subject:

I see it's time to take to take this to another forum that actually cares, without people posting purely for the reason of degrading me.
benryves

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 09:48:25 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
I need to know how computers actually work, and how people can fuck with my programs.
[post="89631"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Step 1: use a managed language... ;)

As an experiment, it's certainly interesting, but buffer overflows are one thing that need to be completely eradicated as they're a security problem waiting to happen. (Which I assume was at least part of the point of your post).

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2006 09:48:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 11:28:56 am    Post subject:

I don't agree that a crash resulting from a <quote>poorly written</quote> program is interesting.

Could you show an (C/C++) example that has proper semantecs and exception handling, but still crashes in this scenario?

Also, in my honest opinion, if you want to know how people can fuck with your code, sell or use scripts coded in php. The universe will let you know.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Oct 2006 11:30:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Oct 2006 12:02:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't agree that a crash resulting from a <quote>poorly written</quote> program is interesting."

There was nothing interesting about it crashing, but what it does before it crashes.

Quote:
Could you show an (C/C++) example that has proper semantecs and exception handling, but still crashes in this scenario?"

I don't need to show you proper code that can be exploited, see link below.

http://search.securityfocus.com/swsearch?s...verflow&x=0&y=0

Either people don't bother coding properly, or they do and still have holes. Either way, almost every known vender has these kinds of problems, as shown in the link above.

--

I'm tired of this crap. Every post I make brings out assholes with unconstructive criticism and/or starts problems. (Not you, Arcane). I've been around for a long time, since Prokul Interactive, but now it's time to move on. Weregoose or Sigma or someone could you remove me as leader of this forum, and delete my account, unless I figure out how to delete it first? Ill catch JBirk on aim or something if one of you don't/can't do it. Time to buckle down with schoolwork, have no more time to waste here, on irc, other places. Cya around.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Oct 2006 01:37:40 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
Quote:
I don't agree that a crash resulting from a <quote>poorly written</quote> program is interesting."

There was nothing interesting about it crashing, but what it does before it crashes.
Oh, you mean the finishing before it crashes? Hmm, what OS was this in and/or did you try several?

Or, if anyone else knows of a difference with this kind of crash between OSes I'd like to know (*n*x/win32 specifically).

IIRC you can't delete your own account though, or remove your own permissions, unless you have access to the admin cp.

cya around and good luck with software engineering, I'm also majoring in it : )
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement