This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 23 Oct 2003 05:46:05 pm    Post subject:

i would say the best would be a half blue half white (you get blue ones, and scrape off one side of the blue if you can (most are blue plastic, but you might be able to find some with a paint, or get white ones and paint one half blue) i choose that b/c the white would be best for lighting the screen (whites side down) and the blue would be the best for your eyes, that way you don't have to look at a bright light, while still getting the light(on the screen) of a white light.
NextPerception

Posted: 24 Oct 2003 06:23:19 pm    Post subject:

I may even use micro leds that fit around the screen like diagram below

|"""""0""""""""0""""""""0"""""""0"""""|
|.........................................................|
"""""0""""""""0""""""""0""""""""0"""""

Mad Text Picture Skillz!!!
Not really but oh well Very Happy
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 04:08:38 am    Post subject:

Amazing, just the thing I wanted when I was a much much younger Alien, for those late night hours of programming my basic battleship game in the wee hours of the night.

Who wants to sleep when you can program a TI in the dark hours of the night when school starts just hours away?

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Oct 2003 07:59:11 pm    Post subject:

I am makign a booster cirucit.

I have been fooling with 555 square wave ocilators, OP Amps, NPN and PNP transisters, Diodes, resistorsl, and capacitors.

I think I know how to tripple the voltage of a 1.5v battery, and regulate the current by sending feedback into a transistor.
NextPerception

Posted: 29 Oct 2003 01:41:08 pm    Post subject:

That might be helpful yet if you do this you will end up draining the battery faster and also you would lose optimal battery performance because the 555 would use a little of the electricity.
on the other hand it would reduce the size needed for batteries. This might work well...
g2g i am writing this at school and period is about to end

Last edited by Guest on 30 Oct 2003 04:47:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
NextPerception

Posted: 30 Oct 2003 04:49:09 pm    Post subject:

another idea for the light would be have the lights just on the top of the screen so it will reduce size and make it easier to remove.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2003 10:28:43 pm    Post subject:

As it turns out, I started work on a similar project a few weeks ago using a very similar design. It basically plugs into a 3.5" port that's screwed to the underside of the calc, then curves upward and hangs about 1 inch over the screen. It also runs off the calculators' supply but at 3 volts. There's also a white, focused 'study LED' that points off the calc's left side, which lets it double as a small flashlight. Very Happy

As far as the screen lighting goes, it looks like I'll try yellow LEDs (better reflectivity than blue, less glare than green, and lower cost than white), although I think green has the best look.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Nov 2003 10:43:43 pm    Post subject:

<OffTopic>Tell people to hold a positive electric current finger to finger. Then tell them how cool it feels if you hold a positive current in the left hand and a ground current in your right hand. Some people are stupid enough to do this Laughing </OffTopic>
JacobdeHaan

Posted: 29 Nov 2003 04:15:41 am    Post subject:

NextPerception wrote:
here is the link to the spanish page
Spanish Page

Ya, that's French. (lycos.fr)
NextPerception

Posted: 29 Nov 2003 11:45:49 pm    Post subject:

ooops
Rolling Eyes
laungauges are not exactly my specialty...
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 02:08:57 pm    Post subject:

Could someone translate some of these words:
dessouder
selon
Ă©poxy
le capot
celle
la sauvegarde
soudure
raccourcir?

I want to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 03:51:43 pm    Post subject:

Try google's Translate a Webpage feature.. It did everything except for the images.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Nov 2003 04:03:47 pm    Post subject:

Hahahaha!

to unsolder according to epoxy the cap that the safeguard welding to shorten?

is what it translated to! What is epoxy??

Edit: after translating that back and forth a few times I got to 'unsolder according to epoxy the hat the this welding of the safeguard to be shortened?'.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Nov 2003 04:05:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 02:45:36 am    Post subject:

"Epoxy" is one of the words Google refused to translate. I think he's talking about the circuit board, --or more specifically-- the green circuit traces between components.
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 08:38:52 am    Post subject:

Epoxy is a kind of glue, and is a cognate I suppose:

Quote:
Any of various usually thermosetting resins capable of forming tight cross-linked polymer structures characterized by toughness, strong adhesion, and low shrinkage, used especially in surface coatings and adhesives.

As for the backlight, I once saw an in depth page on someone making a backlight for the 83+, that fit inside the casing and ran off internal batteries so it was entirely seamless.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Ninjas don't suggest all night programming sessions unless sufficient quantities of Churros and fajita tacos are in ready supply.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 03:59:27 pm    Post subject:

A friend of mine suggested that it might possible to use 'sidelighting' by pointing the LEDs down into the screen, and allowing the light to scatter across the display. Right now, I'm stuck trying to get an LED in between the screen and the plastic cover without damaging those wafer-thin ribbon connections. Confused
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 09:45:34 pm    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Hahahaha!

to unsolder according to epoxy the cap that the safeguard welding to shorten?

is what it translated to! What is epoxy??

Edit: after translating that back and forth a few times I got to 'unsolder according to epoxy the hat the this welding of the safeguard to be shortened?'.

i know on some circuit boards they put epoxy over the conenctions to prevent them from coming loose...
my $0.02
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 09:49:33 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
As it turns out, I started work on a similar project a few weeks ago using a very similar design.  It basically plugs into a 3.5" port that's screwed to the underside of the calc, then curves upward and hangs about 1 inch over the screen.  It also runs off the calculators' supply but at 3 volts.  There's also a white, focused 'study LED' that points off the calc's left side, which lets it double as a small flashlight. Very Happy

As far as the screen lighting goes, it looks like I'll try yellow LEDs (better reflectivity than blue, less glare than green, and lower cost than white), although I think green has the best look.

i believe you mean 3.5 mm (standard headphone jack), not 3.5 inches. if you can prove me wrong though... (send me a plug that fits snugly into the 3.5 inch jack)

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2003 09:50:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 10:14:17 pm    Post subject:

It's 3.5mm. The "m" key turned out to be an apostrophe trying to fool me. Very Happy
SnugenZ

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Dec 2003 10:21:37 pm    Post subject:

www.lsdiodes.com -- I lvoe them =D -- I bough 2 12000 MCD LED's for my mouse -- it lights up my entire room even through the bottom red casing of the IntelliMouse -- GREAT LED's --
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement