This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Sep 2006 07:35:40 am    Post subject:

I spent all spring talking to Jon Katz about this but he never heard back from any of the other ticalc.org staff, anyway, here was my proposal to him.

Quote:
do a poll to see who would help in a project over the summer to clean out/screenshot the archives.

this could be implemented by:

1) Create a temporary file icon for UPDATED AND SCREENSHOTTED files.
2) Assign a temporary squad of 15 or so file archivers to process the queue of updated files.
3) Lots of volunteers to download, rate, screenshot and reupload the files with the original author information
4) create a sidebar showing 25 assorted, low rated files to be considered for deletion. after 15 votes, a file with a rating of under 4 should be deleted.

finally,

keep the archives clean. to do this:

1) require files to be screenshotted. maintain a list of active users willing to create screenshots for people who don't have a way to do it themself.
2) require a ticalc.org account to be able to download files. bug people every 2 weeks via email until they rate files that they have downloaded.
3) keep the sidebar showing 25 randomly assorted low rated files.

would you help with this if asked? Im gonna send the staff a link to this poll....
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Sep 2006 11:57:39 am    Post subject:

I find issues with part 2, number 2. Both parts of it. I really wouldn't want to track down my ticalc.org password every time I wanted to download a file, and those emails would go straight to my spam folder after a while (especially considering I once downloaded around 50 minesweeper programs to find out if any could clear multiple empty spaces efficiently).
Kuro

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Sep 2006 03:47:56 pm    Post subject:

The second part of 2,2 will be difficult to implement. The first part of it accomplishes nothing and will lead to account and profile clutter, not to mention hurting download numbers.
However, I would gladly help out with this project.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Sep 2006 04:21:08 pm    Post subject:

I'll rate programs I use and would be willing to screenshot those that needed it. Maybe a list of program that aren't screenshotted would be enough?

Your suggestions seem like overkill - imagine how much you would irritate people by forcing them to rate every download!

I like (4) personally, but it would cause too many complaints to be viable. Perhaps a "rating filter" - you can choose to ignore all those programs below 4 or whatever.
axcho

Posted: 11 Sep 2006 05:21:43 pm    Post subject:

I agree with DarkerLine. Why not give positive incentives for reviewing and rating files, like Newgrounds does? They give you experience points for stuff like that and you can unlock special features when you level up (or so I am told). It sounds like a funny idea, but they are certainly not lacking in file ratings.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 23 Sep 2006 01:04:16 am    Post subject:

The archive section here will be getting a significant update in the near future, supporting that in-house would be very beneficial.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement