This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Sep 2006 06:26:14 am    Post subject:

I actually don't know what the map in pokemon was, but I believe it will be like Ulimate V. Where you can only walk on the paths between cities and estates.

The main character will start as a boy only having leather clothes for armor and no weapon. I will post the story soon, I'm almost done with it, and at the same time I will post a list of projects to be done and people can pick which ones to do. You will be trained by your father to become a lord and he will teach you the strategies in war and buy you your first weapon, and during this time it will be kinda like a tutorial without you even knowing it. The game will be explained, you'll learn the history of your area and what you should do and then your father will give you an estate and you go to make a name for yourself.
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2006 09:17:49 am    Post subject:

I'm working on some sprites right now. I have created two characters so far. They are 16x16. I have also created a little demo where you can walk around the screen.

The demo: [attachment=974:attachment]
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2006 11:37:50 am    Post subject:

I believe you mean Ultima V. Anyway I see what you're getting at. Pokemon's is similar but even less detailed and only shows the name of one location at a time.

I'll look at Nitaku's stuff, though I think he said sprites should be 8x8, I'm not sure. It's good but there are a couple of things that may or may not be intentional. First you can't move to everywhere on the screen, out of 22 possible places to move you can only go to 18 of them. You also tend to overrun where you are trying to go to.

I got the arbalest/crossbows done, there's not really much difference between the two except for materials and occasionally size. The first one is a Flemish arbalest which is short and stocky, the second one is your standard crossbow, third one is the Danish arbalest which is really skinny, fourth is the one shown on arbalest's wikipedia article, fifth is the standard European arbalest, and the sixth is a different crossbow. Here they are. Tell me which one's you like and/or what to change. I'll start working on the other bows next.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Sep 2006 09:36:30 am; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Sep 2006 03:23:46 pm    Post subject:

@ nitacku: Cool, I'll check that out right away.

@Everyone:

I moved the remainder of this post to the very beginning to make it easier to find. If you didn't read this yet reread the first post.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Sep 2006 08:20:00 am; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Sep 2006 03:26:03 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the double post, but this really shouldn't be in the other post.

The sprites for the tiles and characters will be 16*16, the sprites for inside of menus, like the different weapons will be 8*8 except for the siege weapons and fortifications which will actually be used in the battles and will be 16*16
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Sep 2006 09:08:29 pm    Post subject:

I can handle weapons and help out with items/random items/overmap. I can also help out wherever else I'm asked to.

Quuick and rather imporant question, so all weapon sprites should be 8x8 and angled?

How's the sourceforge coming?
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 08:14:44 am    Post subject:

Sage Orator wrote:
I can handle weapons and help out with items/random items/overmap. I can also help out wherever else I'm asked to.

Ok I'll add your name to the post. Thanks

Sage Orator wrote:
Quuick and rather imporant question, so all weapon sprites should be 8x8 and angled?

No, they will be 8*8 but any view sould work, think 2d on these not angled.
The tiles for the map will be angled, b/c I want the mock 3d look.

Sage Orator wrote:
How's the sourceforge coming?
[post="87633"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It is still in the pending projects area, they don't approve projects over weekends.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 09:37:55 am    Post subject:

Okay thanks, that should make it easier. I'll start working on as many as I can.
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 09:50:15 am    Post subject:

I have got a working greyscale engine up and running. It scrolls the screen as you walk and is quite flexible. It can use any matrix size ( assuming it is at least 6x4 ) and you can easily change which sprites are solid/walkable by just adding the value of the sprite to a list that is inside program. Greyscale is only used while idling to maximize speed during movement. On a 84+SE, the game runs pretty smoothly.

To make sprite/map creating easier, I have created a program that edits the greyscale sprites and allows you to place the sprites on the map.

Attachment:[attachment=981:attachment]
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 02:07:05 pm    Post subject:

Cool, i'll check out the new one. So this would make you what, maps?
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 02:21:42 pm    Post subject:

It would make him awesome. I wasn't even planning grayscale. Now I'm going to have to change all my sprites. Ohh well. Are we going to make all the menu's grayscale as well?

@Sage orator: I liked the 4th arbelest the best, but hold off on making the rest of the sprites for now. I may want them 16*16 to give detail. I will try coding an engine for the shops and stuff that would use 16*16 sprites and then it will be easier. Also are we going to do grayscale for these as well? I don't think so, it would be too much maybe, just grayscale the map and walking. What are other people's opinions.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 03:10:15 pm    Post subject:

Sure if nitaku can get these done this quickly and without much cost in size I say make the menu's grayscale.

I already had some more made but okay. I don't think that we should do the weapons in greyscale, or at least while they're in the store. Should I start on anything else?
[post="87669"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

@nitaku, you forgot to include prgmRM...

Last edited by Guest on 04 Sep 2006 03:28:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 05:04:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm almost done with the shop interface and I decided that the weapons will be 16*16 and there will be no words to describe the weapons, thus we will need a picture for every weapon. I think the words will use too much space and graphics might take up the same amount by themselves, but they are more friendly for the user.

Edit: In other words you could start changing the weapons to 16*16. I'm sorry for you doing all the work for 8*8, I'll try to plan stuff better before posting anything.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Sep 2006 05:05:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 06:01:31 pm    Post subject:

Will there be the name of the weapon or nothing at all?

It's no problem at all, don't worry about it. I'll just increase the size of the ones that were best. I'll post the axes and bows I had and let you guys decide which is best and then I'll make those bigger.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 06:28:33 pm    Post subject:

I don't know xLib and can't draw sprites very well, so I can't help out with graphics.

However, if you give me the specifications for small-medium chunks of code such as a menu system or shop or something, I'll see what I can do.
axcho

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 06:30:19 pm    Post subject:

I can't promise anything, but I think I might like to help out on this project sometime. Let me know what I can do.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 07:02:04 pm    Post subject:

Good looks like two more who are interested. Here are the axes and bows that I had, I'll remake which one you guys choose. I'll have the new crossbow and arbalest up by around 11:30.

Axes:

Bows:
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 07:29:59 pm    Post subject:

I like the second bow and the last 3 axes.
nitacku

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 08:49:55 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@nitaku, you forgot to include prgmRM...

I'm pretty sure it's there. I attached prgmRM just in case though.

All prgmRM does is keep all the game matrix's together and makes game loading faster/easier.

prgmRM: [attachment=982:attachment]
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Sep 2006 09:13:51 pm    Post subject:

It definately was in the original program. At others that expressed interest in coding. We aren't doing too much actual coding right now. I want to get the major planning out of the way first, but when we really get the coding rolling, I'll make out another list of small chunks of code to be made.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement