This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 17 Jan 2007 11:24:43 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
[post="95202"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Actually, the stories about the Greek letters are true. There are apps on the TI website that turn a lot of stuff on your calculator into a different language, like Spanish or German. Once you enable the language, there will be a choice in the catalog that roughly translates to "Characters". Within that menu, you can choose special characters, like Greek letters and upside-down exclamation marks, and put accents onto English characters to make A into Á, E into É, etc.
[post="95233"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Doesn't that mean that you could translate it, find the Characters menu, stick all those characters into a string, recall the string into a basic prog, then revert it back to english? Meaning you would have a basic prog that allows you access to all the greek characters.
[post="95234"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yup Cool .
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 12:21:28 am    Post subject:

I think DarkerLine meant that he's heard conflicting stories as to how well those extra characters work on the 83.
(there are plenty of programs filled with them, so you don't have to bother with downloading the App anyway)
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 02:14:04 am    Post subject:

Summarizing the TI-Basic differences by calculator:

TI-83
- Has no archiving (just RAM)
- There are no asm commands (I believe)
- The Text(-1,#,#,"text") trick doesn't work
- Doesn't have access to any of the extra characters (such as Greek letters)
TI-83+/SE
- Has archiving and flash memory (including archive and unarchive commands)
- Runs at a faster speed (I believe 8MHz for 83+ and 15MHz for 83+SE)
- There are some asm commands (asmprgm and asm())
- The text(-1,#,#,"text") trick works
- Has access to the extra characters (using Assembly programs)
- Has some more added commands (I believe)
TI-84+/SE
- Runs at a faster speed (I believe 8MHz for 84+ and 15MHz for 84+SE)
- The Text(-1,#,#,"text") trick works
- Has time commands and other extra commands (what are they?)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of these differences or if they can further fill in the information. Thanks.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jan 2007 05:48:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 07:15:07 am    Post subject:

TI-83
- no OFFICAL way to run ASM progs, but Send(9prgmNAME works
- Didn't DarkerLine come up with a prog that enables/disables archiving permission?
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 10:59:52 am    Post subject:

burr wrote:
Summarizing the TI-Basic differences by calculator:

TI-83
  - Has no archiving (just RAM)
  - There are no asm commands (I believe)
  - The Text(-1,#,#,"text") trick doesn't work
  - Doesn't have access to any of the extra characters (such as Greek letters)
TI-83+/SE
  - Runs at a faster speed (I believe 8MHz for 83+ and 15MHz for 83+SE)
  - The text(-1,#,#,"text") trick works
  - Has some more added commands (I believe)
TI-84+/SE
  - Runs at a faster speed (I believe 8MHz for 84+ and 15MHz for 84+SE)
  - The Text(-1,#,#,"text") trick works
  - Has time commands and other extra commands (what are they?)

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of these differences or if they can further fill in the information. Thanks.
[post="95240"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You forgot this in the TI-84+/SE section:
-mini USB support

It is important when making programs with sound and when running programs like msd8x
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 11:06:55 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
TI-83
- no OFFICAL way to run ASM progs, but Send(9prgmNAME works
- Didn't DarkerLine come up with a prog that enables/disables archiving permission?
[post="95242"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
The problem with the 83 is not that there's a disabled permission, it's that there IS no Flash ROM.

And for the record, the permission flag on the 83+ and higher only affects the Archive/UnArchive commands, and then only for programs.

Offtopic: I have both an 83 and an 83+ now, and could check out the differences between the calcs, but I'd need a calculator-to-calculator link cable; does anyone know where I can get one?

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jan 2007 11:10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 03:02:05 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Offtopic: I have both an 83 and an 83+ now, and could check out the differences between the calcs, but I'd need a calculator-to-calculator link cable; does anyone know where I can get one?
[post="95246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Does this mean you bought an 83+? I say, Encore for DQ!

Yeah, pretty sure they don't sell 83 link cables anymore...
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 03:29:10 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:

You could make your own with two 3/32" male connectors, you can find these at Radio Shack. (If they have them in stock that is. :hmpf: ) Just connect tip to tip, middle to middle, and base to base with some suitable wire.

If you don't like that idea, I could send you one made by Ti, I have a bunch.

Come to think of it, I thought TI was selling them on their website a while back, you might want to check to see if that's still the case.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 04:12:55 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
DarkerLine wrote:
Does this mean you bought an 83+? I say, Encore for DQ!

Yeah, pretty sure they don't sell 83 link cables anymore...
[post="95250"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Nah, see link in my signature, I wouldn't spend that much money on anything.

todlangweilig wrote:
You could make your own with two 3/32" male connectors, you can find these at Radio Shack. (If they have them in stock that is. :hmpf: ) Just connect tip to tip, middle to middle, and base to base with some suitable wire.

If you don't like that idea, I could send you one made by Ti, I have a bunch.

Come to think of it, I thought TI was selling them on their website a while back, you might want to check to see if that's still the case.
[post="95251"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
They're not selling calc-to-calc cables, just the calc-to-computer ones. I could buy the one that has a calc-to-calc cable as a subpart, of course.

I'm a bit apprehensive about making my own link cable, but I guess it can't make things worse, and I'm sure there's even instructions on how to do it on the internet.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Jan 2007 04:41:13 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
I'm a bit apprehensive about making my own link cable, but I guess it can't make things worse, and I'm sure there's even instructions on how to do it on the internet.
[post="95253"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just check the connections with an ohm meter before plugging it into the calc. You would also want to make sure the connectors will fit into the calc fully, I have run into that problem with 3/32" to 1/8" adapters. I wouldn't be suprised if that could be a problem with a make-it-yourself 3/32" connector.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 12:28:27 am    Post subject:

I'm thinking of starting a new page at the TI|BD wiki for usability (user-friendliness). I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for things to include or anything else that I should think of.

I was doing some brainstorming and I came up with a few things myself:

- Protecting the user from himself
- Showing error messages to help the user
- Adding a teacher key to quickly exit the program
- Don't add lots of unnecessary features (menus, screensavers, etc.)

Also, I just finished editing the Program Cleanup page and I wanted to know what you guys thought of it or if I forgot anything. Thanks for the help.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 12:30:57 am    Post subject:

Looks good! I assume the program's DelVar GDB1 is not on the same line as ClrDraw for readability.

I'll work on adding some of the Undocumented Tricks when I get time (should be sometime soon, like tomorrow).
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 08:10:11 am    Post subject:

Couldn't you just have the FnOff at the begining and FnOn at the end. I think that would have the same effect as the Store GDB1:recall GdB1 thing.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Feb 2007 08:52:16 am    Post subject:

Keep in mind that a GDB also stores:

• Graphing mode

• [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Func, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Par, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Pol, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Seq

• Window variables

• [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Xmin, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Xmax, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Xscl, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Ymin, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Ymax, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Yscl, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Xres, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]XFact, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]YFact
    • [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Tmin, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Tmax, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Tstep, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]θmin, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]θmax, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]θstep
    • [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]u(nMin), [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]v(nMin), [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]w(nMin), [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]nMin, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]nMax, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]PlotStart, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]PlotStep

• Format settings

• [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Time, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Web, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]uv, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]vw, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]uw
    • [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]RectGC, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]PolarGC, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]CoordOn, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]CoordOff, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]GridOff, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]GridOn, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]AxesOn, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]AxesOff, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]LabelOff, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]LabelOn, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]ExprOn, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]ExprOff

• All functions (and the selection status of each)

• [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y1, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y2, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y3, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y4, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y5, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y6, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y7, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y8, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y9, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y0
    • [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]X1T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y1T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]X2T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y2T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]X3T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y3T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]X4T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y4T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]X5T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y5T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]X6T, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Y6T
    • [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]r1, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]r2, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]r3, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]r4, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]r5, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]r6

• Graph style for each function

• Line, Thick, Above, Below, Path, Animate, Dot

So, it's generally not the same effect at all. Any one of the above settings that the program changes should be restored, with the most important ones being the window dimensions, the visibility of the axes, and [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]FnOn
/[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Off (obviously). Furthermore, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]FnOn turns on all the functions, regardless of whether or not the user had selected some of them to be turned off beforehand. But, we want to maintain a user's individual settings like a good programmer should, so we should use a GDB for that purpose.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Feb 2007 04:14:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 11 Feb 2007 12:43:09 am    Post subject:

I've been reading through some of the pages at the TI|BD wiki, and they seem to be pretty complete in terms of information and content. I was wondering how you guys wanted to determine when a page is complete? And should we add a new page that lists the completed pages so the readers know which pages to read first?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Feb 2007 12:48:58 am    Post subject:

The pages will never be complete! MUHAHAHAHA! :ninja:

If you want to add a 'Table of Contents', then go ahead.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 05:54:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, I finally got around to writing the usability page yesterday. That's checked off my list now. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for what topic to start writing about next? Maybe another design related issue? Very Happy
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 06:05:40 pm    Post subject:

Maybe start documenting all the functions? (of course, with additional info, to make it more useful than the manual) That's bound to be useful.

Of course, the functions in the Math menu are already documented. So perhaps figuring out how to best arrange the information would be in order:

1. What to do with existing pages that would be essentially duplicates of several function descriptions? (e.g. [url="http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/controlflow)"]http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/controlflow)[/url] My suggestion: give a basic overview of the functionality of a command, and link to the command's own page for more in-depth info.

2. Such pages should probably have a common format, what would it be? My suggestion: A 'stub' which would contain syntax, basic description similar to the manual but more extensive in places and more readable, and the menu location, followed by "Advanced Uses" (linking to other pages as needed), "Sample Code", "Similar Functions", and perhaps something about code timings if available would go in there too.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Feb 2007 06:13:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 06:52:43 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
2. Such pages should probably have a common format, what would it be? My suggestion: A 'stub' which would contain syntax, basic description similar to the manual but more extensive in places and more readable, and the menu location, followed by "Advanced Uses" (linking to other pages as needed), "Sample Code", "Similar Functions", and perhaps something about code timings if available would go in there too.
[post="97721"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Are you thinking of something like what WikiTI has? If that's the case, what do you think about how WikiTI is organizing the individual TI-Basic command pages? Do like it, disagree or agree, or whatever your opinion is? That would give me some direction in implementing this. Thanks.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 06:56:00 pm    Post subject:

WikiTI has TI-Basic commands? I thought it was an assembly wiki...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement