This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 04:26:29 pm    Post subject:

Already done Wink
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 10:06:20 pm    Post subject:

What do you want to do about the command/function/whatever optimizations that use multiple commands/functions/whatever to achieve the optimization? Which command/function/whatever should the optimization be placed with? For example, setting the window dimensions on the graph screen:

[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]:0→Xmin:94→Xmax
:0→Ymin:62→Ymax

Replace with ΔX and ΔY
[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]:0→Xmin:1→ΔX
:0→Ymin:1→ΔY

When talking about Xmin, Xmax, Ymin, and Ymax individually you could mention the optimization with each of them, but that seems somewhat superfluous.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Feb 2007 10:06:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 11:34:01 am    Post subject:

I discovered this a while ago:
Instead of
:0->A
You an do
:DelVar A

When the program recalls a variable that doesn't exist, it automatically sets it to zero. The method above saves one byte. However, I still do not know the side effects of DelVar yet, so I still mostly use
:0->A
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 02:19:37 pm    Post subject:

Good optimization, but that's already covered:

[attachment=1407:attachment]

Last edited by Guest on 11 Apr 2007 09:46:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 04:06:28 pm    Post subject:

If only TI had made Delvar a one byte token... :/
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Feb 2007 04:31:12 pm    Post subject:

burr wrote:
What do you want to do about the command/function/whatever optimizations that use multiple commands/functions/whatever to achieve the optimization? Which command/function/whatever should the optimization be placed with? For example, setting the window dimensions on the graph screen:

[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]:0→Xmin:94→Xmax
:0→Ymin:62→Ymax
Replace with ΔX and ΔY
[font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]:0→Xmin:1→ΔX
:0→Ymin:1→ΔY

When talking about Xmin, Xmax, Ymin, and Ymax individually you could mention the optimization with each of them, but that seems somewhat superfluous.
[post="97828"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I'd mention it with ΔX and ΔY.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 07:12:00 pm    Post subject:

Some commands in the manual take on a definite "secondary" role. Good examples of these are "Then", "Lbl", "End". There's really not a lot you can say about them, other than linking to the commands that use them.

Should we add a separate page for these? If so, should we use the same format? It seems to be overkill.

Also, what about the special characters in commands? It appears to have become convention to leave off ( in the page title - what about things like "IS>(", "x√(", "!", "ΔList(", or "LinReg(a+bx)"?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 08:20:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't even know how to use [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]LinReg(a+bx);)

Oh, and one your delta X and delta Y thing....you should explain how it works.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 08:43:50 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Some commands in the manual take on a definite "secondary" role. Good examples of these are "Then", "Lbl", "End". There's really not a lot you can say about them, other than linking to the commands that use them.

Should we add a separate page for these? If so, should we use the same format? It seems to be overkill.[post="98078"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Those secondary commands only really make sense if they are used with the related commands, so I suppose we should just place them on one page. Perhaps we could just have a memo at the top of the page that says the secondary commands are included here because they are needed for the functionality of the primary command.

I think it's become obvious that we need to come up with a wiki style guide that we consult when deciding on things like page headings, code formatting, including the right parentheses of a command and so on. What do think about this? Any more things we should include?

Quote:
* Page headings are capitalized like an English paper would be capitalized.
* Follow the page structure with appropriate page headings, so a main point gets a first level heading and a secondary point gets a second level heading.
* Each line of code starts with a colon (:).
* No blank line above or below the before and after comment between the code optimization (i.e. "can be").
* Commands have their closing parentheses, bracket, etc. when not demonstrating an optimization.
* Talk in third person when appropriate or first person when wanting to get the readers' attention.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 08:50:04 pm    Post subject:

You mean, adding like a reference page? That would be extremely useful, and not only to me, I'm sure.

How about a token specification, like what it does, how it's most often used, 1-or-2-byte, and the shortest keypress sequence for accessing it. I could help with that...I'm probably a little too familiar with the hotkeys for most commands, like [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]seq(
, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]sum(, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Return, and stuff like that. Maybe note that [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]DelVar is a 2-byte token and therefore is no smaller than [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]0->Z. Possibly incorporating a page that contains Fallen Ghost's TI-Basic Command timings?
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 09:16:11 pm    Post subject:

How about we add Command timings for each command (I actually started that over the summer and got up to C's in the catalog).
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Feb 2007 09:31:32 pm    Post subject:

*cough* click *cough*

Although it pains me to admit it, Fallen Ghost only compared pseudo-equivalent commands, so yes, documentations of ALL commands would be uber-helpful.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Feb 2007 09:32:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 12:12:30 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
You mean, adding like a reference page?  That would be extremely useful, and not only to me, I'm sure.

How about a token specification, like what it does, how it's most often used, 1-or-2-byte, and the shortest keypress sequence for accessing it.  I could help with that...I'm probably a little too familiar with the hotkeys for most commands, like [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]seq(, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]sum(, [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]Return, and stuff like that.  Maybe note that [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]DelVar is a 2-byte token and therefore is no smaller than [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]0->Z.  Possibly incorporating a page that contains Fallen Ghost's TI-Basic Command timings?[post="98083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I wasn't really thinking about creating a reference page (what do you mean by reference page anyway?), more just some general page style guidelines to follow to keep the wiki looking consistent from one page to the next; it looks more professional that way.

I'm not sure if you guys have visited the wiki recently, but we have actually already started creating pages for individual commands. We included everything you stated, all neatly placed in the sidebar on the right. If you have any more ideas or things to include, don't hesitate to share them. That's the way improvement comes.

(By the way, Fallen Ghost already created a Command timings page at the wiki.)
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 05:04:41 pm    Post subject:

KK, by reference page I meant something you can refer to (duh), kinda like the z80 opcodes or the rom calls (system entrypoints).

Might also be nice to include a gummed-down explanation of some of the userguide explanations.

I'll help after I'm done with homework, I've only got to read a chapter.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 06:56:56 pm    Post subject:

Ok, guys, your opinions:

1. I wrote a "Tokens and Token size" page to explain to the casual reader what the heck "token size: 1 byte" actually means. Would it be a good idea to modify the command description template a bit, so that we link to this page?

2. Command timings: rather than "this command is fast" or even "this command is faster than that other command" it would be nice if we could have some standard way of measuring speed. For example, saying that "the Text( command takes two Burrs of time, plus 1 Burr per 10 characters displayed." It would have to be independent of calculator model, though. Any ideas?

3. Also, we need more They Might Be Giants references. Any self respecting wiki has them.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 08:56:08 pm    Post subject:

Fallen Ghost used the run indicator, measuring in Pixels and bars. Bars were the number of fully completed rotations of the indicator, while pixels where the number of pixels it passed over the bars. Maybe rename bars burrs? Should ask Fallen though, the specifics are kinda iffy...
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 09:25:05 pm    Post subject:

Why don't we redo them with a stopwatch? That gives the casual reader about how long it takes.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 09:37:45 pm    Post subject:

Why not just do them with the command StartTmr, more accurate than the stopwatch.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 10:21:32 pm    Post subject:

1. 83+ and 83+SE don't have it. Believe it or not, 83+ and it's brother are still around.
2. If we used a stopwatch, the times would be different for 83+ and 84+'s.
3. If you did use startTmr, you would have to use a [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]For(X,0,99999
to amplify the differences between commands.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Mar 2007 10:23:06 pm    Post subject:

1. Yes but it's the same ratio of speeds.
2. Ok, but see no. 1
3. I'd be willing to do the work there if you want.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Mar 2007 10:23:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 7 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement