This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Mar 2007 03:34:49 pm    Post subject:

Those should probably be added to the command pages instead of the old versions.

I'm currently working on adding (hopefully comprehensible) information on the statistics commands. Trying not to burst out into a criticism of significance tests, too. However, there's a good bunch of commands in that category, and as I've only gotten around to the basic framework, it may take me a while.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Mar 2007 03:35:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 07:33:23 pm    Post subject:

I read the news somewhere that wikidot now can use in-page anchors. I just tested it (with GOTO and ERR: LABEL ironically) and it works fine. I'm going to update any links I see, but I thought everyone else might want to know. Very Happy
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 08:17:36 pm    Post subject:

I've been thinking lately about trying to come up with ways to get more people to contribute to the wiki. It seems like there hasn't been anybody new for a while, which is somewhat disappointing. I found an article that had a pretty decent solution to the problem (I thought) and I would like to hear what you guys think of it. More specifically, do you think this would work? Thanks.
Quote:
Most open source Free Software projects have their own Help Forums and Documentation Wikis.

Help Forums are often very active: users from around the world flock to them asking for help: either the documentation is insufficient, there is a bug in the software, or the user doesn't know how to use it. Often, too, a few dedicated people do their best to answer the questions of many users who come when run into a problem, and leave when their problem is solved.

Documentation are now often kept within Wikis. It takes time to write a proper documentation, so the community of users is often invited to contribute what they can to it.

Unfortunately, the tendency is that Forums (or mailing lists) are often overused, and wikis underused. When facing a problem, people come for support in the forum, get their answer and go away. The documentation wiki, though, doesn't get any better. It'd be a good idea to encourage people to take a commitment to update the wiki with the answer they got (especially if others are likely to have a similar question, bugs being excluded).

The idea is to make a positive contribution on the web. We often require help and assistance. We should endeavor to contribute something to the community in return.

Therefore, when having a problem, we do our best to follow the following general principle:

1. Clearly identify what the question/problem is.
  2. First, have a look at the Documentation Wiki, at the place where you'd expect to find the answer.
  3. If you cannot find the answer anywhere in the wiki, make a note or create a stub of a page at the most appropriate place.
  4. Create a new forum topic or discussion thread with your question. Put a link back to the wiki and state that you will update the wiki with any useful reply you may receive.
  5. Go back to the wiki and put a link back to the forum topic or the archived discussion thread.
  6. As you get answers, go back to the wiki, complete it, make necessary clean-ups and, at last, remove the link to the discussion topic.
  7. Thus, at the same time, you would have received help, and you would have contributed something back to the community. Thanks to you, future users will have a better documentation to consult.

If a few people get into this habit here and in every open source project, the quality of the documentation would increase significantly and the work load on the moderators, developers and other admins would diminish. The end users, instead of being a mere consumer of board-based support, would have had an opportunity to contribute a little.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 08:34:42 pm    Post subject:

I don't think that would quite work in this case. Say someone has a program they want to optimize, and we do it for them. Should they then update the command pages for every new command we added to their program?
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 08:44:52 pm    Post subject:

I'd be willing to do specific tasks involving the wiki, but honestly writing drives me away.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 26 Mar 2007 08:53:31 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
I don't think that would quite work in this case. Say someone has a program they want to optimize, and we do it for them. Should they then update the command pages for every new command we added to their program?[post="99516"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I understand where you are coming from with that example, and I think it would probably make sense to have the more knowledgeable person simply assume the role of adding the information instead. The reason I posted that, though, was primarily to get some discussion started about finding ways to get people to contribute to the wiki. If the wiki is to keep growing, then more people are needed.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 05 Apr 2007 07:30:25 pm    Post subject:

I was visiting the Cemetech forums today and ran across this old topic in the TI-Basic forum. Kerm posted a while ago that he wanted to create an actual TI-Basic book, and I thought that sounded like a good idea. I think we have enough content in the wiki to actually make that possible, so what do you guys think about doing that? Would it be something worth pursuing?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 05 Apr 2007 07:44:35 pm    Post subject:

It will be difficult at best to find someone to publish it. Which means you'll be limited to a pdf or similar format for distribution.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Apr 2007 07:48:44 pm    Post subject:

There's no reason to make one. People that already are well in the TI-Basic community are the only ones that would consider buying it, and they already know a lot about TI-Basic. The internet is a much better medium for tutorials.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 06 Apr 2007 08:22:12 am    Post subject:

Zen wrote:
It will be difficult at best to find someone to publish it. Which means you'll be limited to a pdf or similar format for distribution.[post="100290"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I agree with you about the difficulty of finding a publisher, so what about self-publishing? There's several knowledgeable, capable people that probably could help, so we could just do everything ourselves. Or, is that not very practical?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Apr 2007 12:39:53 am    Post subject:

burr wrote:
I agree with you about the difficulty of finding a publisher, so what about self-publishing? There's several knowledgeable, capable people that probably could help, so we could just do everything ourselves. Or, is that not very practical?[post="100318"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think you'll be better off just going with electronic distribution, unless you really want the experience of publishing a document, then I wish you the best of luck.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 12 Apr 2007 10:18:08 pm    Post subject:

As summer is fast approaching (the semester is over in a month), I wanted to set some summer goals to accomplish for the wiki. The current goals I have are to finish the subprograms page (add internal subprograms) and add a couple more full programs (tic-tac-toe and pong). What additional things should we try to work on for the wiki?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 03:42:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to finish what I started with the statistics commands. Especially considering my statistics class is going to be all review from now on...
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 06:03:48 pm    Post subject:

Logically, I should finish the Boolean section. That's probably the most fun anyway. >>[post="69519"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]<<
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 07:25:31 pm    Post subject:

I don't know, statistics can be pretty fun if I let myself go on a long rant about how significance testing is flawed in that, on one hand, it generates a value that you can't really call a probability (or at least, not the probability you're interested in) yet statisticians, even when not calling it that probability, insist on treating it as though it were exactly that probability, and making conclusions as though it were some sort of alias for that probability; furthermore, the unstated prior assumption is that some point you pulled out of the blue to do a significance test on is equal in probability mass to the entire real line minus that one point (which is first of all, comparing a point to an interval, which any mathematician could tell you is silly, and second, since you can't assign a uniform distribution to an infinite interval, there's an unstated prior distribution at work for the alternate hypothesis); moreover, significance testing has no clear conception of the difference between Type I and Type II errors and confuses P(B|A) with P(A|B), specificially, the probability that the given data occurred if the null hypothesis is true with the probability that the null hypothesis is true if the given data occcurred (what the heck they must have been on drugs); I'll continue to add that it's unclear what is meant by the idea of a "null hypothesis" of the data happening by chance, when you calculate different probabilities of the data happening by chance based on different ideas of what you had in mind with the same data (I could give you a few coin-flipping examples) and in any case, when you're talking about an alternate hypothesis, you should say something about how the data occurred if not by chance and what exactly made you think that the population is normal in any case and what does probability mean if you're talking about an event that occurs only once and all your understanding of probability (and reasoning about it) depends on having multiple trials of the same exact experiment aaaaaaand yeah.

I better not do that, though.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Apr 2007 07:25:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 13 Apr 2007 08:57:51 pm    Post subject:

Seeing that burr has invited me to be a contributor, I'll see to it to add more content to the Math page and maybe assist DarkerLine here with the Stat page... ;)

thornahawk

P.S. to DarkerLine: MEDGO. Razz
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 01:08:08 am    Post subject:

I was using the pixel commands today, and noticed for the first time that the 'pxl' part of the pxl-Test( command isn't capitalized like the rest of the pixel commands. It got me wondering why TI decided to do this, but I haven't been able to come up with anything: the first result when I googled it was actually the Graphscreen page at TI|BD, which put a smile on my face, but didn't really help me. Razz Do any of you guys know?

[attachment=1419:attachment]

Last edited by Guest on 16 Apr 2007 09:09:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 01:21:06 am    Post subject:

I have no solid understanding as to why [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]pxl-Test() remains in lowercase, truthfully. The biggest difference is that [font="courier new;font-size:9pt;line-height:100%;color:darkblue"]pxl-Test() doesn't actually draw anything; the other commands do. Also of note is the fact that while ti83plus.inc never displays the token itself, its references ("_PixelTest," "kPxlTest," and "tPxTst") are always capitalized.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2007 01:21:28 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2007 02:17:34 pm    Post subject:

thornahawk wrote:
Seeing that burr has invited me to be a contributor, I'll see to it to add more content to the Math page and maybe assist DarkerLine here with the Stat page... ;)

thornahawk

P.S. to DarkerLine: MEDGO. Razz
[post="100746"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Many Evil Dragons Grow Oranges?

As far as the math page is concerned, I think that a layout similar to what I did for the statistical commands would be good? (That is, make a page called Math Commands, then several subpages about, say Probability Commands or Matrix Math Commands, then finally the individual command pages).

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2007 02:20:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 21 Apr 2007 06:20:12 am    Post subject:

All I've done is to edit the already existent math page. If anyone wants to restructure it, you're welcome to do so because I admit I still haven't gotten the hang of editing wikis. :o

thornahawk
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 9 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement