This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 07:16:13 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
WikiTI has TI-Basic commands? I thought it was an assembly wiki...[post="97724"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

WikiTI is primarily an assembly wiki, but it does have some TI-Basic information. For example, here is the page content for the For loop. So, is what I was talking about in my previous post what you were thinking?

Quote:
Synopsis

Token Size: 1 byte

Syntax:

For(Variable,First,Last[,Increment])
    commands
    End

A for loop is used to execute commands while a variable is within a certain range. A for loop starts by setting Variable to First, and running the commands within it. At the end, Variable is incremented by 1 or Increment, if specified. If the value of Variable is greater than Last and Increment is positive, or if the value of Variable is less than Last and Increment is negative, the for loop will stop, and execution will continue after the End statement. Otherwise the commands in the for loop are executed with the new value of Variable.

Comments

The value of Variable may be modified during the for loop, and will have the expected results. Increment may be negative. It cannot be zero.

Note that a for loop is essentially a while loop.

For(X,1,10)
Disp X
End

could be written as:

1->X
While X<=10
Disp X
X+1->X
End

Use of a Goto statement within a for loop will cause an increase in memory allocation, leading to program slowdowns and eventually a MEMORY error. For example, the following code will eventually cause an error:

Lbl A
For(X,1,10)
Goto A
End

Examples

A for loop is good for looping through a certain range of numbers:

For(X,1,10)
Disp X
End

Categories: 83Plus:Basic:Conditionals

Last edited by Guest on 20 Feb 2007 07:19:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 07:33:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm thinking of something like that, modulo minor differences such as my suggestion of menu location and Wiki-TI's "token size" (which is actually pretty useful, and should be included).

A sidebar, such as the ones wikipedia has, for example, in articles about music albums, would be a nice touch.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 07:54:30 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
A sidebar, such as the ones wikipedia has, for example, in articles about music albums, would be a nice touch.
[post="97727"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What do you mean by sidebar? Are you referring to the navigation, search, and toolbox that is on the left of every page or something else? Maybe a link to a sample wikipedia page with the sidebar would be handy to see what you are talking about. Once I more fully understand you, I'll try to put together a sample page with a command to make sure I'm on the right track.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 08:02:13 pm    Post subject:

*click*

The thing on the right is a sidebar.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Feb 2007 08:02:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Feb 2007 08:11:26 pm    Post subject:

I think he mean the menu on the right side

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soad

No, Im not 10 minutes late posting this Rolling Eyes
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 12:39:32 am    Post subject:

Okay, I just finished taking the Disp command information from the homescreen page and placing it on its own page with the organization that DarkerLine suggested. I wanted to know if that is what you had in mind and if you guys had any ideas or improvements to make. (Remember that anyone can edit the wiki, so if someone sees something wrong or has something useful to add, they should just go ahead and change it; I promise I won't hurt you or make you eat fast food Very Happy)

Last edited by Guest on 21 Feb 2007 12:40:04 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 08:54:11 am    Post subject:

The only thing I would cut would be the second Menu location. ALL the commands will be in the catalog, so there's no point listing that.

I like the idea of a parent category, though I'm not sure of the best way to organize them.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 03:47:56 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
The only thing I would cut would be the second Menu location.  ALL the commands will be in the catalog, so there's no point listing that.

I like the idea of a parent category, though I'm not sure of the best way to organize them.[post="97751"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The reason I decided to include the Catalog menu location is simply for a matter of completeness -- so the reader knows everything about the command. Unfortunately, I really don't know what the best way to organize the commands into categories is either. I originally created the large multi-command pages because I thought that made sense to the user, but that is just my own opinion. Let's see what others say about it. Maybe Goose or DarkerLine have some good ideas? (Put your thinking caps on :biggrin:)
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 05:06:03 pm    Post subject:

Catalog does not have the Vars (e.x. Xmin, Ymax). Just a little pointer.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 07:25:14 pm    Post subject:

Multi-command pages could contain a short synopsis of the entire article, and a link.

As far as how the page is, I think it's nearly perfect. The only thing that bothers me is that I think, rather than a description of the importance of the function, far more helpful in "Description" would be what it does. In this case, as opposed to "The Disp command is the easiest way...," the description could be something along the lines of "Displays any expression on a new line on the home screen, and scrolls down if necessary."

I've created a page for Output() in much the same style as yours. The only significant syntactic difference is the way the menu location is written: I like my way better due to my undiluted arrogance, but when other people pass judgement on the two ways we'll figure out which is best.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 08:41:04 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
Multi-command pages could contain a short synopsis of the entire article, and a link.
[post="97774"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

What do you mean by the entire article? The multi-command pages basically have the introduction that covers a general outline of the page and then each individual command is covered. Are you suggesting to simply keep the introduction and then have a link to each command that was on the page?

I was thinking about the command organization and think that we should just use something similar to the multi-command page, with the only change being that the homescreen and graphscreen are combined:

1) The Screen (combining homescreen & graphscreen)
2) Math Functions
3) Variables (cover each individual variable on its own page)
4) User Input
5) Controlling Flow

I actually agree with you about the brief description and how the menu location is written -- we have a winner :biggrin: I basically just took the Disp command information from the homescreen page, so that's why it looks like that; there's definitely some brief editing and rewriting needed. (I was also tired and wanted to go watch some television Very Happy)
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Feb 2007 08:43:29 pm    Post subject:

@ Darkerline: I like your method, but don't you need to press right to enter the I/O section of the prgm menu?

Last edited by Guest on 21 Feb 2007 08:44:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 08:55:00 am    Post subject:

Yes, you do. Seeing as how it's a wiki, you could've already fixed it Wink.

Burr: what I'm suggesting is that a multi-command article will have a general introduction, then for each command, one or two sentences followed by a link.

I have actually yet another change to suggest to the format: The syntax would be better before the description. Then the description could refer to the placeholders for values used in the command syntax (just like in the manual!) What does everyone think?

For the command organization, I think the following additional categories would be nice:

Lists/Matrices/Strings (for operations that work on those specifically)
Statistics (split from math because there's so many)
Settings (things from the MODE, TBLSET, or FORMAT menus)

I'm also dubious about the home screen and graph screen, I would prefer having a category for the graph screen alone and a category for program-only commands that would have program flow + home screen.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Feb 2007 09:10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 01:34:59 pm    Post subject:

I suppose what I meant by basic description is really just a command summary, and I think that it makes sense to keep that first on the sidebar. If we were to add a description for the placeholders for values used in the command, how would that look? Something like this?

Quote:
Disp [value1,value2,...]
* The values can be text, variables, or whatever you want.

I'm not quite sure I agree with you about combining program flow and the homescreen because I tend to think of the program flow commands as separate unto themselves; they work on both the graphscreen and homescreen. This is unrelated, but I wanted to know when we are spelling graphscreen and homescreen if you guys think we should combine the words (like I currently am doing), or hyphenate them, or keep them as two separate words (like DarkerLine is doing)? I want to get some continuity in everyone's spelling.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Feb 2007 01:35:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 02:28:57 pm    Post subject:

The convention used in the manual is that "home screen" is two words, and it simply uses the word "graph" for the graph screen (e.g. DispGraph - Displays the graph, but Disp - Displays the home screen). It sometimes uses "graph display" as well.

Also, it uses "table", "mode screen", "Y= editor", and probably some I didn't think to look for.

I was arguing for syntax before description because that's the way I see it in the manual's appendix, and it seems to work there quite well. However, it's not that big a deal as I'm sure it can be done either way.

Edit: google says that "home screen" is more popular than "homescreen" (I searced for "TI-83+" "home screen" with or without the space). "Graphscreen" and "graph screen" are about even, and both used much more rarely.
I also looked in the TI-89 manual - it uses both "home screen" and "graph screen" with spaces.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Feb 2007 02:33:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 03:01:59 pm    Post subject:

Well, if Google says home screen is more popular than homescreen that's what we'll go with -- you don't question Google Very Happy Seriously, though, I agree we should try to stay faithful to what the manual does, so let's use home screen. I flipped the command syntax and command summary for the Output command, and I don't really know if it looks any better. What do you think?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 03:35:06 pm    Post subject:

No, not really, and you're right. We should probably have the summary first...

Another convention issue: should we put in closing parentheses, for the syntax?

Last edited by Guest on 22 Feb 2007 03:42:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 03:58:42 pm    Post subject:

Follow the yellow brick road:

[attachment=1406:attachment]

Related to that picture, do you think we should list the command syntax for each individual use of the command? That would be more work, but it would also be more thorough.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Apr 2007 09:47:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 04:16:36 pm    Post subject:

Only if they're substantially different. For example, the manual lists cos(number) and cos(list) separately; I think that this is silly. However, in the above example, the two top uses are different and should be both listed.
calc84maniac

Elite

Posted: 22 Feb 2007 04:21:33 pm    Post subject:

Oh yeah, for Text( DEFINITELY document the thing about negative first argument. Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement