This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 07:23:42 pm    Post subject:

I have a Ti 84+. I have very little room for new apps or programs. First, I will look for ways to optimize them but I doubt that that will give me enough free space. I don't want to invest the time (converting my programs into the 89 format) or the money in a Ti 89. Any suggestions, links, etc?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 07:51:05 pm    Post subject:

What exactly is on your calculator, and do you use all of it?
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 07:54:44 pm    Post subject:

Do you have archive room or is it both archive and RAM?
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 08:05:16 pm    Post subject:

It is both archive and RAM. I have a whole bunch of programs that are used for help in class, as well as many that are game programs. (Me and my friend made/modified 2 using the TI Chao Garden engine). I also have a bunch of apps like Marc the SuperKid Quest (the main memory user) and Omnicalc. The attachment above is my programs and a few AppVars that I had stored in a backup group.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 08:57:09 pm    Post subject:

ummm.....yeah. you can't convert 84+ programs to 89 programs.

I have 50+ games on my calculator plus a bunch of apps and I barely use 700K. I cant imagine needing more than the 1500K on an 84+SE for a calculator.

you could always try using USB8X though along with the USB MSD drivers available on ticalc.org
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 10:14:04 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
ummm.....yeah. you can't convert 84+ programs to 89 programs.

I have 50+ games on my calculator plus a bunch of apps and I barely use 700K. I cant imagine needing more than the 1500K on an 84+SE for a calculator.

you could always try using USB8X though along with the USB MSD drivers available on ticalc.org
[post="82006"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have about 40-50 programs and anywhere from 8-10 apps (not sure how many, I'm about to go to bed). I have a regular Ti 84+ so yeah its almost full. I don't want to go out and get a silver edition (I can hear my mom now, " Why do you need this thing? Its the same as your old one! ")

Offtopic: I just uploaded my aforementioned programs. I'm just waiting for them to be approved.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 11:59:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm optimizing all of them. I've done eight programs and saved 472 bytes so far. BTW your cone program is exactly the same as your pyramid program, that seems pointless.

Dang you love conversions and subroutines don't you?

Okay I've finished, I saved you 819 bytes through very simple optimizations. A lot of those things you really don't need in my opinion or are just reused unnecessarily.. I didn't take the time to untangle the web that is some of your programs. Also, make sure to delvar a lot of your stuff, I bet that will help as well.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2006 01:19:17 am; edited 1 time in total
justusdude

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 08:47:10 am    Post subject:

Sage Orator wrote:
I'm optimizing all of them. I've done eight programs and saved 472 bytes so far. BTW your cone program is exactly the same as your pyramid program, that seems pointless.

Dang you love conversions and subroutines don't you?

Okay I've finished, I saved you 819 bytes through very simple optimizations. A lot of those things you really don't need in my opinion or are just reused unnecessarily.. I didn't take the time to untangle the web that is some of your programs. Also, make sure to delvar a lot of your stuff, I bet that will help as well.
[post="82020"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Thank you very much. Those should give me a little more breathing room. Smile
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 01:36:12 pm    Post subject:

Your welcome, I just hope I didn't screw anything up!

I might run through them again later, I was a little tired when I was doing these.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2006 01:49:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
airbornflght

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 02:03:05 am    Post subject:

I know this is a really old thread..

but I have a TI-84 plus silver edition, and I'm trying to put 70kb of programs on it and it says that it is full after just 16 programs get put on. I thought it had 1.5MB of memory for programs.

From what I've read you have to move them onto the archive or something, but I can't figure out how to do it.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 02:25:42 am    Post subject:

[2nd] [+] [2] [7], and press [ENTER] on an item in the list to Archive/UnArchive it. Also, you can find Archive and UnArchive in the [2nd] [+] menu, which you'd paste to the home screen and follow up with a program from the [PRGM] menu before pressing [ENTER].

Welcome to United-TI, airbornflght! Smile

Last edited by Guest on 12 Dec 2007 02:26:10 am; edited 1 time in total
airbornflght

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 02:35:28 am    Post subject:

Just a quick question,

Is that full 1.5mb of memory available to me for programs? (they are written in basic from ticalc.org)

I don't really understand how the calculators ram and memory works. because at first it was storing it on the 24kb of ram.. I'm confused. Ram is for running applications (or so i thought) why would ticonnect put the programs there?

Edit: I keep getting 'ERR:MEMORY' messages when trying to execute the programs. I figured out I have to unarchive the programs to run them, but now what's the problem?

Last edited by Guest on 12 Dec 2007 02:40:10 am; edited 1 time in total
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 02:45:02 am    Post subject:

RAM - Random Access Memory

Flash - Flash

Programs written in BASIC are usually stored in RAM unless you archive them, making them unusable except by an alternative program such as Mirage OS (even Mirage OS won't run progs if you have insufficient RAM, because it copies programs to RAM I think).

To save RAM, store programs that you are not using to Flash and unarchive them when you need them.

Ti calcs have 24k RAM and 1.5 mb of Flash... RAM is quite limited (and it costs more) compared to Flash. :(

Quote:
Ram is for running applications (or so i thought) why would ticonnect put the programs there?

Er, RAM is for smaller programs (non-applications), and Flash is to store large programs known as applications.

I'm not sure if Flash programs are read from Flash or if they are copied into RAM (I think it copies sections to RAM, but it might do both.. -.-).

Quote:
Edit: I keep getting 'ERR:MEMORY' messages when trying to execute the programs. I figured out I have to unarchive the programs to run them, but now what's the problem?

Um, how much RAM is available and what's the size of the prog?

~cjgone2, If I don't make sense, I'm bad at explaining things Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 12 Dec 2007 03:01:06 am; edited 1 time in total
airbornflght

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 03:29:54 am    Post subject:

Oh. I figured it out. I only had ~25k. I freed up some more space and everything's working. Sorry for being a dumb a.
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 08:01:46 am    Post subject:

You're not a dumb a. Everyone here had to figure that out at some point.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement