This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Ray Kremer

Posted: 21 Jun 2006 02:13:13 pm    Post subject:

There's also the Game Boy Advance SP method of lighting. I recall seeing a website many years ago where a guy rigged up his calculator that way.
magus57

Posted: 22 Jun 2006 08:41:42 pm    Post subject:

If I used the EL kit from this website:

http://www.microstru.com/Experimenter-Kits.html

Would there be any way switch the power supply to the calc's main four batteries? I'm thinking of buying that kit, detaching the wires from the default battery supply and attaching/soldering it to the calc's batteries. I presume that the kit in the link has a on/off switch, so I could do the switch thing like samnmax777 did. And by the way, samnmax777, what kind of batteries did you have for your LCD?
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jun 2006 09:17:12 pm    Post subject:

Assuming it only needs one set of leads, that should work. The battery holder shouldn't be necessary if you have it set like my 85. And I am currently using a CR2032, although the slightly smaller 2016 will work too, just so long as it fits inside and is 3V DC (total).

If you wanted to hook it up to the main batts, you'd have to make it a parallel circuit, if you made it a series circuit, you'd turn off the calc every time you flipped the switch (I'm not sure how to make a parallel circuit, I just know the very basics on them). And if you want a small sliding switch, you could use one off an old (portable) cd player.

I just thought of this, you could possibly use one of the leads at the bottom that way you don't have to make any holes aside from the switch. This should be possible assuming there's nothing covering the bottom of the LCD on the 84. Doing this would mean that you could use the slide cover unlike my (and the other) design, that is, if you put the switch on the top (84, bottom of the 86).
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jun 2006 11:21:32 pm    Post subject:

Would the batteries have enough power to supply both the LED's and the regular calculator functions?
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 23 Jun 2006 10:54:25 am    Post subject:

Parallel circuit shouldn't be that complicated.

| is wires. --- is the wires that connect to what's using the power. = Uses the power.

Power Source
|---=--|
|---=--|
|---=--|

I'm pretty sure thats basically how they are set up. If one thing is turned off the path to it would be closed and everything else would continue to work well.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Jun 2006 10:59:22 am; edited 1 time in total
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 23 Jun 2006 06:23:43 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Would the batteries have enough power to supply both the LED's and the regular calculator functions?
[post="82901"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

In theory they might, they would just deteriorate at a much faster rate. You also have to take into consideration what exactly you're doing at the time, if you use grayscale or complex graphs (in other words, how much of the CPU you're using). Plus, once the voltage drops to about 4.2-4 volts, the batteries are pretty much dead. That's according to the TI knowledge base. So overall I wouldn't reccommend going this way.
Madskillz

Posted: 23 Jun 2006 06:38:11 pm    Post subject:

I know Jim e Rigged up his 83+ (I believe) with a backlight that runs off his old gamegear charger that plugs into the wall. It's pretty cool actually. I had some pics of it somewhere around here.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Aug 2006 12:15:16 pm    Post subject:

There are two types of tape on the 86, the clear tape and the black tape. Removing strictly the the clear tape does little to nothing as far as functionality, all it does is hold down the cable with the black wires. You can remove that. IF you open the calc again, remove the two screws that hold the whole screen from the main motherboard, then remove the panel that covers the LCD. This condains the F1-F5 buttons and the cover that says "TI-86", be sure not to lose those buttons and careful not to break the tabs that hold it in place. Turn it on normally and move your finger up and down each ribbon cable and find out where the break is, the pixels should reappear if there's not too much damage. Keep in mind that the black cable has 2 layers, check each. If you can, tape it down (using clear packaging tape) and attempt to hold it in place, I cannot guarantee this will work since it's on a case-by-case basis. Then reassemble the calc.

In the case of my 82, the problem was the leads that make contact with the LCD itself. In that case, I used double sided foam tape, placed layers until I braced it against the case and the LCD.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Aug 2006 03:02:48 pm    Post subject:

After removing the LCD screws and the 'TI-86' cover, assemble the rest of the case. That way you have access to the ribbon cables and can squeeze accordingly. Then try the other diagnosis techniques I suggested. If you have it fixed, tape the corresponding area(s), dissassemble and screw the LCD back in place then assemble normally.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Aug 2006 12:40:19 pm    Post subject:

I've included pics so you can see what I mean.

In the first pic you can see what panel I'm talking about.

Once it's off, you can reassemble the rest of the calc, leaving that off. Then you inster the batteries, and go through the diagnostics process.
Cure

Posted: 07 Aug 2006 01:39:53 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like a good way to void your warranty and accidently kill your calc Very Happy !
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Aug 2006 05:21:30 pm    Post subject:

Cure777 wrote:
Sounds like a good way to void your warranty and accidently kill your calc  Very Happy !
[post="85813"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Isn't that what this whole forum is about?
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2006 07:44:47 pm    Post subject:

Cure777 wrote:
Sounds like a good way to void your warranty and accidently kill your calc  Very Happy !
[post="85813"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

We wouldn't have it any other way. :biggrin:
Cure

Posted: 07 Aug 2006 08:05:59 pm    Post subject:

I think it would be cool to have a backlight, and even cooler to install a switch (or a program) to turn it on and off. Two problems

1. Drains batteries faster than Bush drains our money

2. I'm afraid to in anyway harm my precious 84+SE.

Plus, you would have to know exactley what you're doing.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Aug 2006 11:53:35 pm    Post subject:

Ultra-bright white LEDs, while expensive ($2/LED), drain little power yet are great for illumminating LCDs.
The Dragon Master

Posted: 28 Aug 2006 02:48:56 pm    Post subject:

I wasn't brave enough to do this to my calc, but this looks really cool. BTW, nice avatar samnmax777.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Nov 2006 10:53:45 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
Ultra-bright white LEDs, while expensive ($2/LED), drain little power yet are great for illumminating LCDs.
[post="85882"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think it would be funny to use Maglite LEDs (the ones for the C & D cell flashlights). If you aren't familiar with them, you should know that they are freakin' bright! On top of that, they are about $20 each. :biggrin:
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Nov 2006 11:42:37 pm    Post subject:

samnmax777 wrote:
I think it would be funny to use Maglite LEDs (the ones for the C & D cell flashlights). If you aren't familiar with them, you should know that they are freakin' bright! On top of that, they are about $20 each.  :biggrin:
[post="90655"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

There is no lie in that those things are bright, my dad bought one and we were trying it. For those who don't know, they are 3 watt LED's. Those AAA's would last for less than an hour, or some ridiculously short amount of time. They only draw 31x what the calc would at max power. I wonder if you could even see anything on the screen, since they are bright.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Nov 2006 07:56:46 pm    Post subject:

(Overkill) Smile

Last edited by Guest on 05 Nov 2006 08:03:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 05 Nov 2006 09:50:45 pm    Post subject:

Heh, I have the remains of an upper LCD from a Nintendo DS that would do nicely to make a backlight... ;)

One of these days I might get around to modding it...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement