This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 03:05:38 pm    Post subject:

Those organic LEDs are out, my MP3 player has one. They're called OLEDs, and my MP3 player is a Creative Labs Zen Microphoto.

-=SilverCalcKnight=-
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 03:09:14 pm    Post subject:

Was that OLED being used for panel lighting or actual display?

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 07:37:42 pm    Post subject:

The OLED is used for lighting not display as they emit light rather than modulate transmitted or reflected light like an led. SilverCalcKnight is right, OLEDs are cheaper, brighter, thinner, and faster.

Edit: BTW do you know where to buy OLEDs?

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jun 2006 08:09:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 08:31:20 pm    Post subject:

Okay that clears it up, I thought it might've been the flexible OLED flexible displays that just barely coming out. They're almost completely transparant like the gizmo in the pic.

Anyway, after doing some searching I found out Optrex America, Inc. is carrying graphics displays. But no signs of anything comparable to an EL panel.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 12:48:18 pm    Post subject:

Uh-oh. bad news, I finally assembled the 82, but as soon as I turned it on, there was a vertical line of missing pixels about 3 pixels wide. I was able to recover one of the columns, but only if I pressed on a certain place of the ribbon cable. I figure it can be fixed using tape.

Anyway, my plan was to buy a cheap calc (so I bought the 82), put a backlight, and sell on ebay. I'm debating, sell it for less than what I wanted to list it at or just keep it (keeping in mind I don't really like the 82, and really the only thing good about it is Donkey Kong.) I guess I could try fixing it before I make my final decision. But what do you folks think I should do?

Anyway, in answer to your question, DigiTan, it's just an LED that's attatched to a plastic panel, so it kinda puts 2 steps into one if you follow the backlight procedure on the Richfiles page.

Also, the posted instructions weren't the cause of the LCD breaking, so don't think that they will ruin your calc(s).

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 02:54:38 pm    Post subject:

If you don't like the 82 I would sell it on ebay as you might get a lot of money for the installed led as I'm sure most people would think that was not easy to do, nor am I say it was, but on the other hand you can show friends how your clac has an led light in it.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 03:00:49 pm    Post subject:

you probobly either tore the ribon cable or crushed the lcd.

Edit: for some reason, my parents don't want me to take apart any calc, even if it's not the one I'm cuently using.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jun 2006 03:01:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 03:47:17 pm    Post subject:

Aw that sucks why did your parents pay for it? If they did they probably think you'll break it. My parents were weary when I went to mod my ps2 which required opening it but I told them I knew what I was doing, which I didn't but I had a general idea and it all worked out good. Im second think doing my 83+ se but I think it will work but once you do it there aint no going back. And of course you'll have to change the led every couple of months but the light just seems so awsome.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 16 Jun 2006 03:55:27 pm    Post subject:

I started by looking for the rigt size of wrench to open the back of my calculator and I asked my parents if we have a really small allen wrench. After searching awile they asked what for, I told them and they said that I couldn't take apart the calculator. The TI-84+ belonged to a forign excange student who was with us this school year, and he gave it to me. My parents don't want me to break it incase we have another forign excange student and he needs it.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 10:26:28 am    Post subject:

YAY! I figured out how to fix the LCD! Turns out that the contacts under a foam strip came loose. So now all I have to do is figure out a way to keep pressure on it (I'm again leaning towards the tape idea). And for those if you interested in the final product, you can look at the pictures on my auction, which should be up within 5 days (my ID is the same as here).

(hope this doesn't count as advertising or selling stuff, if so, I apologize)
Raster

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 11:10:04 am    Post subject:

I think this is a worthy enough topic to me pinned. :biggrin:
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 11:38:10 am    Post subject:

Nothing good on the 82?! Puh-leaze!

Robot War.

-=SilverCalcKnight=-
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jun 2006 11:03:47 pm    Post subject:

And also Acelgoyobis, Ztris, plenty of adventure games. 82 games are just as good as 83+, just there's no grayscale and a smaller selection.
magus57

Posted: 18 Jun 2006 06:09:29 pm    Post subject:

samnmax777: In the picture that you posted the place for the battery and switch, is that space available in a TI-84+SE? Or a TI-86? And can you list all the supplies you used and where you got them (is the eBay item you're talking about the same one as Raster's)? And does the EL Panel have to be the same size as the LCD to light the entire screen? And can you cut it with regular scissors?

And also, what is the point of the trace paper? I have some at home, but what does it do?
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 09:35:25 am    Post subject:

In the 86 there's room on both places for the battery, I don't know about either of the 84s since I've never opened one up before. I would assume there is since the back side of the case is primarily empty space.

The panel I used is an LED, not an EL, so it's not the same as Raster's link. It can't be cut with scissors because it's made from hard plastic. The height if it is slightly smaller than the LCD, but it still lights up fairly evenly. The paper has two functions:1. to distribute the light and 2.make the LCD visible (similar to what the factory foil does) since the panel is somewhat transparent.

As for supplies:
1.dremel tool:can be found at home depot (the kit will run about $20-$30)
2.screwdrivers: checker auto parts (but I think they can also be found at an electronics or hardware store, that might be your only chance of finding a torx)
3.razor knife:any store that has a hardware dept. (make sure it's a knife and not a blade)
4.switch/soldering iron/solder: radioshack(RS)
5.batteries: walmart (can also be found at RS)
6."extra" screws: came off my old 86, but I don't know where specifically you'd find some that size
7. metal plate: came off a slot cover off my pc case, just cut it with wire cutters (not recommended if you do it several times) and dremel.
8. spring: off old 86, but can be found on anything (broken) that uses AAA-AA battries
9. electrical tape:RS/hardware store (any non-metalic tape will work) to cover parts of the motherboard to prevent any shorts (recommended, but not required)

If you use an EL panel, you shouldn't need the paper.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jun 2006 09:36:30 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 04:53:27 pm    Post subject:

During all the insanity I forgot to ask the most important question of all:

What's it cost?
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 05:37:24 pm    Post subject:

I assume you're talking about the panel? The panel is $2.95 +$2.99 s/h, but they combine shipping if you buy multiple items. They also sell 20 rectangular LEDs for $5 total if you want to go the Richfiles way. As far as parts, I've spent approx. $11.68, not including tools.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jun 2006 05:44:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2006 05:38:29 pm    Post subject:

Say.. Not bad. Not bad at all. Cool
magus57

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 03:05:15 pm    Post subject:

If I were to use a EL Panel instead of the LCD panel, which of the supplies you listed would I not need? And what do I need the screws, metal plate, and spring for? And with the EL Panel, does that have to be spread out like the LCD, and will adding trace paper to an EL Panel make the light stretch futher? In the tutorial on the first page (2nd post), the guy has the EL prongs sticking out of the calculator, but I want to have everything inside the calculator.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jun 2006 03:05:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 20 Jun 2006 05:27:55 pm    Post subject:

If you go the way of the EL panel, you shouldn't need the paper, the foil shouldn't be necessary, I just use it to help reflect the light. The screws/plate combo is just for the fancier setup of the light (look at the first pic of my second post with pics). I made it that way because I'm going to assume the person who buys it doesn't know how to open the calc and doesn't want to go through the trouble of doing what I do to change the batt. Assuming you get an EL panel that fits perfectly around the LCD, you could possibly place it to where the leads are inside (you may have to trim them with wire cutters, though), placing paper could spread the light to cover any darkness that could occur since the leads are the end of the panel. those instructions say it runs on AAA batts so I assume it'll run on 3VDC that can come from a lithium batt. dremel too may not be necessary but you could use a soldering iron to make a hole for the switch. (unless you find one of those tiny push button switches like what come on stereos)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement