This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
magus57

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 01:00:31 pm    Post subject:

I saw on www.ticalc.org they had tutorials on how to backlight a TI-85 and TI-86. I was wondering if it were possible to do the same on a TI-84+ SE, and how to do it exactly (since I know very little about circuitry and circuit boards), such as where to buy the supplies, like where could I get an EL panel?. And is this procedure safe? And could anybody explain how to do the TI-86 backlight in a easier way (because I have both a 86 and 84+SE)? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Jun 2006 01:01:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 01:06:31 pm    Post subject:

This should go in the Calculator Modifications forum. Also, please do a forum search first in the future. That being said...

—Click—

EDIT: I looked around in that search, and I found some useful stuff.

LCD backlighting
EL backlighting

Last edited by Guest on 10 Jun 2006 01:10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raster

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 04:59:14 pm    Post subject:

I wouldnt advise putting a backlight onto your calc, I have tryed it many times and always failed. I think it is more work than what it is worth. You could try it, but I dont advise it.

I can tell you, to get the ahesive/glue off the metal plate on the screen, use an ether like substance, do not use a screw driver. (something like a paint thinner)
bukwirm

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 05:20:42 pm    Post subject:

Might want to be careful using paint thinner-like substances on the LCD. Some of those dissolve plastics.
magus57

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 08:48:50 pm    Post subject:

Where can I buy a EL Panel? And if I were to install it, is there a easy way to connect the panel to the calculator batteries so I don't have anything sticking out of the calc?
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 11:36:52 pm    Post subject:

So far I've sucessfully put a backlight in my 85 and 82, I would have had one in my 86, but while trying to remove the glue, I ended up tearing out the ribbon cable. But with that said, I personally used an LED panel from ebay. Item number: 7501627794 (if that doesn't work I'll post the whole link). But if you use that, you'll need a dremel tool.

In theory, you can cut it to where the end doesn't stick out of the calc, but because of the shape, I don't know how it'll afffect the lighting. All in all, I'm satisfied with it.

note: I hooked mine up to a separate lithium battery that way it doesn't drain the main ones.
Raster

Posted: 11 Jun 2006 11:47:27 pm    Post subject:

http://www.microstru.com/Experimenter-Kits.html
http://www.hnqhlcd.com.hk/e-store/estore-character_lcm.htm
http://www.rs-components.com.au/electronic...ent-sheets.html
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mcs/mcs2501.htm?source=froogle
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=7972117530
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/502-2502

And, they are called Electroluminescent(EL) lamps/sheets maybe youll find more with that.

Or, you can get a cold cathod
[url="http://www.mouser.com/?Ne=400&handler=data.listcategory&Ntt=*Cold*%2b*Cathod*&terms=Cold+Cathod&crc=false&N=407&Ns=SField"]http://www.mouser.com/?Ne=400&handler=data...N=407&Ns=SField[/url]
And a piece of plexiglass and make your own.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2006 12:02:59 am; edited 1 time in total
magus57

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 02:21:32 pm    Post subject:

So could this method be done with a TI-84+SE? Or is there something different in the LCD panel that doesn't allow it? And I'm kind of confused about the method listed in 2nd post (EL Backlighting). After you apply the ziploc plastic and let it dry, do you put the EL on the ziploc plastic? Can anybody show me the procedure with pictures or their finished calc (dissasembled or assembled)? And do you just turn it on or off with a switch?
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 04:04:15 pm    Post subject:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...ent_Strips.html
Also possibly worth a look, not too much though but pretty cheap. Many of them don't seem to have full pins so beware.
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 10:11:04 am    Post subject:

Are you talking about the 84 or just any calc in general? because I can show you pictures of my 82 (currently dissassembled) and my 85 (assembled). both have switches and separate batteries. and one way you can tell if you can put a backlight in it or not is by looking at the LCD, and if there's just foam, you can put one in. if there's a plastic panel, like on the 92, you can't, or at least I don't know how......yet.

typical disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you could possibly do and it does void your warranty.
Raster

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 05:16:48 pm    Post subject:

Ok, magus57, in the TI-84+ I am pretty sure there is a metal plate between the LCD and the controller board (The electrical circiut panel) and it is glued. What I did was I slowly separated the metal from the contrller board with a plastic card (like a credit card, or 'student ID card') after I had is relised, I saw some pretty desent size holes I can drop a few drops of a ether type substance. (I would suggest you pour it onto an old basic calculators LCD first to make sure it wont burn off any of the LCD itself) once that is off you can now put in the EL lamp to replace that metal plate.

If you could, post some pictures of your TI-84 for our own reference. TI has a habit of changing the design from calculator to calculator, even if it is the same type.

[EDIT]

todlangweilig: Great link, I am sure to buy from them!

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jun 2006 05:22:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 08:15:19 pm    Post subject:

To dissolve that glue holding the metal panel, use rubbing alcohol, then rub it every once and a while and be patient. It will dissolve the abhesive.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 10:18:54 pm    Post subject:

Has anyone ever done this with an 83+?, because I would like to try this. Anyone here who has done it with any calculator and has a digital camera can you please post pictures? Also how long does the backlights usually last for?

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jun 2006 10:34:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 12:10:42 am    Post subject:

Here are the pics of mine. The one that currently has the backlight is the 85, the other is the 82. both are using the LED panel that I got from ebay.

http://www.takeitapart.net/archives/ti-83-and-86/

this shows 2 calcs being opened, but I personally can't tell if the 83 can support a backlight (maybe you can?)

[attachment=818:attachment]

[attachment=819:attachment]

[attachment=820:attachment]

[attachment=821:attachment]

[attachment=822:attachment]

[attachment=823:attachment]

using a CR2032, the LED lasts about 2 months before it goes dim, but I've never let the battery drain completely. (and the 82 is using 377 (x2) batteries, haven't done lone term test with that yet.)
and also, the light would be brighter but I'm currently cheap printer paper, I usually use tracing paper (since I did mine in a slightly different manner, I can post my version of the instructions if you'd like).

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 01:46:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the pics I really enjoyed looking at them. I want to try it with my 83+se. If you want to post your instructions go ahead as I would like to know what you did.
magus57

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 08:17:25 am    Post subject:

samnmax777: Can you show me your process? I'm most interested in the part where you put the batteries and switch in the calc (so just about nothing is hanging out). And what do you mean with the printer/trace paper? Do you have to put paper in between the EL Panel and the LCD Panel?
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 01:00:47 pm    Post subject:

Here's my overall process. I've left out some very minor details, but if you can put 2 and 2 together and not get 5, it'll be easy, but don't worry, I didn't leave anything that's not impossible to figure out.

and you can get tracing paper at any store that sells art supplies (or even just drawing supplies. it usually comes in a pad like a sketch book)

[attachment=825:attachment]

[attachment=826:attachment]

[attachment=827:attachment]

I forgot to put this in the .txt file, if the LCD comes out crooked, you can straighten it out with light pressure with the philips screwdriver.

if anyone has any questions, just email me.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 02:09:40 pm    Post subject:

I'll have to keep my eye on this. Was there any indication of what company made the flat LED panel when you got it from eBay?
samnmax777

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 02:56:54 pm    Post subject:

nope. but you could always contact the seller, and make note that I had to cut it in order for it to fit properly in the calc.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jun 2006 03:03:11 pm    Post subject:

So what exactly was the panel made of? It almost looks like those organic leds that aren't even out yet.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement