This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 05:06:40 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Brazucs wrote:
Along with accepting the general rules and stating that you're over 13, perhaps?[post="80601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That's what I had in mind.
[post="80605"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I edited those rules just now in an attempt to attract more attention as well as address the more pertinent concerns. Unfortunately, I can't implement the checkboxes idea, that would require actually editing the php code.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 05:08:45 pm    Post subject:

I could see a few problems with an automatic merge. A lot of project topics like in the "Featured" section are used by developers to post progress updates. If it maybe distinguished between delayed multiposts and the rapid-rate "++ my postcount" type, that might help, but we've got enough mods to stay on top of the situation IMHO.
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 25 May 2006 06:23:49 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
Along with accepting the general rules and stating that you're over 13, perhaps?

Btw, negativezero48 PMed me back and said that he didn't see any of the warnings until this morning, that he's sorry, he's never gonna do it again, blablabla...
[post="80601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The usual...so he says he didn't see the warnings. Sure. But umm...I think you should make the rule of double posting really noticeable. A lot of people don't read the Terms of Service. So maybe like this:

No Double Posting

And maybe change the colors of the words...Laughing
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 07:07:14 pm    Post subject:

IAmACalculator wrote:
Isn't there an IPB mod that automatically merges double posts? The Vera forums seem to do this.
[post="80609"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yes, but:
Invision Power Board v2.0.3 © 2006 IPS, Inc. - Licensed to: www.unitedti.org

Invision Power Board v2.1.3 © 2006 IPS, Inc. - Licensed to: Umass Lowell - jpena

DarkerLine wrote:
I edited those rules just now in an attempt to attract more attention as well as address the more pertinent concerns. Unfortunately, I can't implement the checkboxes idea, that would require actually editing the php code.[post="80611"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Very Nice:
Quote:
Forum Terms & Rules
You and I will both save time if you read these

At United-TI, we try not to limit what you have to say. However, we do have rules. The ones you need to be aware of (the ones we see broken most frequently) are the following:

1. Don't double post (that is, make two posts in the same topic one right after the other).

2. Don't SPAM our forum with advertisements, meaningless drivel, or other useless content.

3. Don't make one-word posts - if you only have one word to say, then you have nothing to say.

4. When posting a new topic, try to think of a clear and descriptive title for it.

Should you break any of these rules, we'll take disciplinary action such as suspending or banning you from the forums, or make all your posts require approval. We'd rather not do that - we'd rather you follow the rules the first time.

A full list of the rules can be found here or by clicking the text "Forum Rules" at the top of the page. Most or all of them are common sense. Please read them before posting and making a fool of yourself.
I have read, understood and agree to these rules and conditions

Last edited by Guest on 25 May 2006 07:12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 11:08:00 pm    Post subject:

We might want to broaden #3 to include two-word fodder like "O RLY."
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Jun 2006 06:53:04 pm    Post subject:

Two edits and one deleted post later, I got this PM:
Ultimate Shadow wrote:
guess i made a bad 1st impression.  Dry
I was kinda pissed off at you for a while but i finaly came to my senses and found out how much of a jerk i was. Neutral
So i'll start off fresh...
Sup, my name is Jason
lol Very Happy

My reply to that:
Weregoose wrote:
Hey, Jason! I like to consider a renewed visit with anyone as a fresh start.

Learning to get along with others in a respectable environment takes a different spin than merely blending in with a chat room crew. It requires patience and practice—but how much those act as requirements can have an inverse relationship with the amount of experience one has had, real-life scenarios included. In that light, it's cool to think that becoming a better person in a forum can help to create a better person in the real world, too.

The important thing to remember is that the forum is more than just an IRC channel or a "comments" section of a MySpace account. We are all given as much time as we need to express what's on our minds in a clear and concise manner. Providing all the necessary details is usually the preferred method in making others understand whatever ideas you're trying to get across, or what exactly you need help with. Contrarily, lacking in detail can give the wrong impression entirely.

As you know, the rules of the forum are listed. You have the links for that. However, there are also guidelines that apply universally—forum or otherwise. They can be found here. It's a lot to rummage through (you should try the quiz), but it's actually close to all a person would ever need to be able to stand out as a respected member of the online community.

So, that all having been said...

I deleted your post which read: "o". I know it wasn't really a one-letter reply before today (I'm glad you can edit posts now), but, as such, it failed to be productive towards any means (hence its removal).

Regarding these actions, the other moderators and I were discussing ways to approach any newcomers with the do's and do-not's before they should approach us first, so to speak. We hope to make these warm-welcomes a less jarring process for future United-TI members, so at the very least you can say you contributed to that end in your own way.

Don't think we're not glad to have you here.
–Kenny Hammond (Weregoose)

My point: People can turn around. It's only a toss-up as to who decides to.

We'll see if he continues in the right direction.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Jun 2006 09:02:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Jun 2006 12:55:28 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, looks like I completely missed this the first time around...

At least one version of the double-posts could be solved if users knew what the [+ QUOTE] button did. I didn't figure it out for a while, and just manually used [QUOTE]'s and copy+paste for multiple quotes. I think people just click the [QUOTE] button for each post they want to quote. Perhaps if we are doing some sort of quiz or whatever, information about multi-quote addition could be added?

Is it easy to change the text of the validation e-mail? Maybe the "quiz" or whatever could be put in there instead of messing with the forum's php.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Jun 2006 03:54:57 pm    Post subject:

Then it can't be anything interactive. HTML email for the loose.

Maybe a validation link to a validation page with that questionnaire on it, which when submitted and filled in correctly goes to the actual forum's validation page.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 05:15:47 pm    Post subject:

http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopi...indpost&p=82039

I propose an amendment to the forum rules:

3. You must not double post (i.e., make two posts that are back-to-back) or multi-post without considerable time between your posts, unless you have a very good reason.

Secondly, I'm not able to take any more action against double posters than merging posts and sending verbal warnings, but, at this point, even though Ultimate Shadow did plead ignorance, I would bring up his warning level for having multiple violations. He obviously didn't read the Netiquette link I gave him, so I think he needs to get his act together in listening to authorities. I'm not mad at him, but this seems to be the best—perhaps the only—way to instruct him.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jun 2006 09:44:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 11:11:47 pm    Post subject:

We should probably list a couple examples for good multi-post reasons. And mabye revise the "considerable time" part to read "like...a few days." Not in those words.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 11:17:25 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Secondly, I'm not able to take any more action against double posters than merging posts and sending verbal warnings...[post="82076"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
You can always just contact one of the Super-Mod's and we'll do it for you. He's been warned twice already (although one was taken away)
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 10:16:29 pm    Post subject:

add a thing with "No Multiple Accounts"

that is getting old too.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 11:18:46 pm    Post subject:

How about: "multi-account holders will be kicked in the head." Except Brazucs. He's cool.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2006 01:23:22 am    Post subject:

Digitan wrote:
How about: "multi-account holders will be kicked in the head." Except Brazucs. He's cool.
Of course, we'd have to define "multi-account holder." :roll:

How should we push forward the idea of searching other topics and reading the FAQ before bringing up new topics? I've considered the possibility of a default value for the content field, but I have a hunch that threads would turn up with the value still apparent—not erased, and appended to.

Perhaps we should take anyone who clicks to make a New Topic to one of those redirectional pages that says "Please wait while we transfer you... (Or click here if you do not wish to wait)" with the following message:

"Please be sure that you have read the FAQ and that a similar topic does not exist before making a new topic. Click here to search for other topics. Lastly, be mindful of the Forum Rules when writing your message!"

Heck, we don't even need to automatically redirect people from that page. If someone means to make a new topic (which doesn't occur nearly as often as regular posting), then he really shouldn't be distraught by an added step. Make the person click on a link to move on.

If someone were to then make a topic that is already known to exist, then we can identify him as someone who might possibly disregard other rules. But, I digress—It's better to not jump the gun.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2006 01:27:41 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Jun 2006 01:18:21 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
<snip>
Any thoughts?  [post="82168"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
It doesn't actually sound too bad, but there should be a way to turn it off, either after x posts or becoming a UTI Member or maybe editable by a mod.

DigiTan wrote:
We can kick leenie in the head and leave Mr. Cool alone

EDIT: What's wrong with my quote tags?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2006 03:45:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2006 03:44:06 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
It doesn't actually sound too bad, but there should be a way to turn it off, either after x posts or becoming a UTI Member or maybe editable by a mod.
[s]How about x topics? Three sounds good to me.[/s]

Allow me to digress again. I'm leaning towards never having the message removed.

alexrudd wrote:
What's wrong with my quote tags?
Two start tags and three end tags. Remove the one just before your edit.

alexrudd wrote:
We can kick leenie in the head and leave Mr. Cool alone
Leenie's a girl, in theory. Isn't that enough to keep her safe? Sad

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2006 03:48:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement