This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 May 2006 08:23:08 pm    Post subject:

With the recent surge of newcomers, there was evidently a greater likelihood that the forum rules were going to be disregarded (and thus broken). Is it possible to immediately redirect newly-registered users to the forum rules, or perhaps have them answer a ridiculously-simple test consisting of four questions before they are even allowed to post? They'd be forced to look at the rules then, at least. Maybe I'm in over my head, but this is coming from someone who has spent a lot of time moderating the TI-Basic section, and who also believes that an IQ test should be passed before someone is even allowed on the Internet. :P

To support my reasoning, here are some specifics regarding the above six posts:

Time between each double post (in minutes):

• 1 min.
  • 3 min.
  • 29 min.
  • 4 min.
  • 6 min.
  • 2 min.
Initial words in each second post:

• Oh!
  • [response to a different person per post]
  • By the way
  • Nevermind
  • please try to keep comments
  • OOOOOO and
Number of posts by the author at the time the second post was made:

• 15 posts
  • 20 posts
  • 8 posts
  • 8 posts
  • 4 posts
  • 3 posts
Number of days since the author's "Joined" date at the time the second post was made:

• 4 days
  • 3 days
  • 2 days
  • 3 days
  • 0 days
  • 0 days
Final note: These are all within the month of May, and are
the last ones to remain as I don't have control over them.

:lol:

[EDIT]

Agh, it looks like another one showed up while I was writing this. Cool

Last edited by Guest on 24 May 2006 08:38:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 May 2006 10:11:39 pm    Post subject:

I've also had to edit one of negativezero48's double-posts today with his messages being something like 6 minutes apart. Has anyone warned negativezero48 and antifaith about the multiposting problem?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:31:20 am    Post subject:

Oh, there were more double-posters. In fact, I have reason to believe that several of them came from the same circle of friends... Anyway, as for contacting the people who don't follow the rules, I figured that merging and editing their posts with a message and a link would actually get the point across. As it turns out, they probably never go back to the old posts they've made—either that, or they blatantly don't care.

Regardless, there's a gap somewhere along the line of someone joining the forums and his knowing how to properly behave in the forums, which is something I feel needs to be mended before an outbreak occurs and the activity should get out of hand. What frightens me is that such a thing might be looming around the corner... I'm being overly-dramatic with this, but emphasizing how I feel might better get the intended point across.

Last edited by Guest on 25 May 2006 12:44:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:52:54 am    Post subject:

I used to throw around my "no multi-posting" sign. The problem is getting kind of widespead (actually it was a 3rd person I corrected and not antifaith or negativezero48). I think we should reply with one warning each (or better yet, PM) and either edit or WarnLevel++ next time it happens. I really don't expect it to go that far though.

I might make a version of this that's wide instead of tall...

Last edited by Guest on 25 May 2006 12:53:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 02:12:16 am    Post subject:

I found out recently that I can't increase warn levels. :|

At any rate, here is what I'm sending out:

Weregoose wrote:
Hello, [insert name].

If you haven't looked over the Forum Rules already, you ought to at least direct your attention over to this one:
Forum Rule #3 wrote:
You must not double post or multi-post without considerable time between your posts, unless you have a very good reason.
You need to follow this rule consistently—as you should with all the other rules—but you've neglected to do so on more than one occasion. I'd appreciate it if you go back and look through all the posts you've made, find the adverse ones, make the necessary edits to remedy them, and then proceeded to adhere to the instructions whenever you make your posts from now on. Further disregard for these rules will lead to warnings and a possible ban! We value your membership at United-TI and encourage you to do your best to contribute, but at the same time we also ask that you continue to uphold the rules of the board as previously set by the administrators.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask a moderator or staff member using your Personal Messenger.

Sincerely,
–Weregoose (TI-Basic Moderator)

[EDIT]

They have been sent out—word for word like those above, but with the names changed.
Antifaith and negativezero48 both received one, plus I titled them simply, "Forum Rules."

Last edited by Guest on 25 May 2006 02:26:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 02:47:45 am    Post subject:

Oh man.... I feel bad for not being so active lately and missing all of this.

Perhaps bringing back the warn system is in order?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 06:28:22 am    Post subject:

Enforcing good behaviour on forums with large userbases:

Make a brief summary of the posting issues: (no more than 6 or so points)

- double posting
- vague topic titles
- single/few-word-replies
- etc..

Place it in the top of a stickied rules/readthisbeforeposting/READFFS topic in each subforum, where applicable. In bold. With no more than a single sentence detailing each point. ("Welcome newcomers" isn't urging enough imho)

Ideals are broken:

- close topic/delete post
- warning message (in topic or pm or both because they may not read either)
- if too often -> (temp) ban or require mod approval for posting

How often you allow it and how quick the consequences are (edit takes longer than delete) depend on how huge the userbase is. With thousand+/thousands of users it's usually a delete+warning the first time, temp ban the second.

---

The test could take the form of a <form> in the forum rules page (the one that is already shown when you register). The submit button could have a javascript inserted (onClick) that simply checks all the following questions are answered with "no":

- Are you going to double post?
[] Yes [] No
- Are you going to spam?
[] Yes [] No
- Are you going to use vague topic titles?
[] Yes [] No
- Are you going to reply with single word posts?
[] Yes [] No

if( yes_answer_found() ) {
alert( "You should revise your stance on the rules before you can finish your registration" );
return 0;
} else {
form.submit;
}

Last edited by Guest on 25 May 2006 06:42:09 am; edited 1 time in total
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 25 May 2006 08:23:11 am    Post subject:

I agree with what you did Goose. And yes, negativezero was warned by IAmACalculator in this post right here:
http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopi...indpost&p=80287

Edit: I have also noticed that negativezero didn't even say anything regarding that post. It seems like he just doesn't care. Have you warned them?

Last edited by Guest on 25 May 2006 08:24:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 08:36:57 am    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
Perhaps bringing back the warn system is in order?
[post="80549"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I can see my warning level so I'm assuming the system is up and running. ; )
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 09:05:02 am    Post subject:

its there allright, but mods can't change warning levels. Back in the days we were able to change peoples warning levels in the blink of an eye.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 09:42:28 am    Post subject:

PM wrote:
Dear negativezero48,

It seems that you have double posted many times at UTI despite being warned both in the forum and by PM.

Consider this your last warning. Next time you double post, your warning level will go up.

--Brazucs

Too harsh?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 10:02:55 am    Post subject:

Not harsh enough in my honest opinion.

Warnings before warnings before increasing wanring levels before more warnings before action?

"Are you going to behave? Yes/No. No? OK, goodbye."

Sure if they show willingness to improve, but from what I gather they don't really do that.

edit:assuming a well established system of order is in noticable effect. While that is being fixed, give them all the second chances you want, sure. But from the moment a lot of effort has been put in to make it as easy and obvious as possible what the rules are it is no longer subject to discussing during issues. Most of us can remember several times where that wasn't very usefull.

Last edited by Guest on 25 May 2006 10:07:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 10:59:33 am    Post subject:

I'll monitor his actions carefully and wait for a PM. One more and it's warninglevel++. There hasn't been a warning since, what, agility?
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 25 May 2006 11:48:39 am    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
I'll monitor his actions carefully and wait for a PM. One more and it's warninglevel++. There hasn't been a warning since, what, agility?
[post="80571"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's pretty bad if he's the first since then!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:20:54 pm    Post subject:

Consider this: your warning level is a warning. It's meant as a visible indicator that someone's doing something wrong, before they get suspended or banned. Warning level by itself doesn't seem like something to threaten with to me, especially considering no one else except mods/staff can see it, so I think it's okay to use it even without prior notice.

The warning system is in fact enabled, and all Staff, Super Moderators, and forum moderators should be able to warn people.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 12:27:38 pm    Post subject:

I like Arcane Wizards idea for how the quiz should work.

I dont mind occasionally requesting that people use the Edit button, but that gets annoying after a while.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 03:52:33 pm    Post subject:

Without much more on my mind to address, I'll conclude by saying
I, too, advocate Arcane Wizard's rendition of the registration test.
At what point (and in what fashion) should it be brought to them?
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 04:11:21 pm    Post subject:

Along with accepting the general rules and stating that you're over 13, perhaps?

Btw, negativezero48 PMed me back and said that he didn't see any of the warnings until this morning, that he's sorry, he's never gonna do it again, blablabla...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 May 2006 04:40:22 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
Along with accepting the general rules and stating that you're over 13, perhaps?[post="80601"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That's what I had in mind.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 May 2006 05:01:04 pm    Post subject:

Isn't there an IPB mod that automatically merges double posts? The Vera forums seem to do this.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement