This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Destiny Realm => Your Projects
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 May 2006 12:24:18 pm    Post subject:

I found out that Destiny Realm is way too big for one person, so i had this idea:

Upload all the source, documentation and sprites that i have (its a lot!) onto a wiki on my server, then make it a true community project.

I would break the source up into a bunch of .inc files. Each .inc file gets its own wiki page, that people can edit for optimization etc. Jumps between include files can be managed using links. For example the event tiles:

Code:
   cp doortile2
   call door2
   cp doortile3
   call door3

door2 and door3 would be links to the pages that hold the event for the doors.

Files that dont exist can be added by adding a new page in the source part.

Documentation is basically telling what stuff does that already is in the source, and posting ideas for parts that dont exist yet. Probably 2 categories like "already in there" and "to be made".

Sprites:
Just all the sprites of the game that i made. Could take forever to put them on the computer though...

Making all this would take me a while, and it wouldnt be worth it if nobody would touch it. It could be an interesting project though, programmers could just code a bit, help the community without having to make a whole project. Might give me motivation to actually start working on it again xD

yay or nay?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 May 2006 07:00:34 pm    Post subject:

Sounds awesome, but I know I personally couldn't contribute much of value.

If it works it could be a prototype for Sonic or other group projects...
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 May 2006 08:58:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm getting my own comp this weekend and want to learn ASM. I won't be of too much help, but I would be willing to help as much as possible.
axcho

Posted: 20 May 2006 04:25:46 pm    Post subject:

I like the idea, though I don't know if anyone will actually want to work on it. Maybe if we started an official UTI community project?
Daniel15

Posted: 20 May 2006 11:47:49 pm    Post subject:

Instead of using a Wiki, you could consider a CVS or SVN server. If you don't have shell access to a server (and hence, can't install a server daemon), then consider getting an account at SourceForge and hosting your project there (they have both CVS and SVN services).

Then, for people to compile the source, they just get the latest CVS snapshot, and all the new/changed code will be downloaded to their computer. CVS also handles stuff like if two people change a file at the same time (the changes are merged together).

TortoiseCVS is a windows program that makes using a CVS server easy :)

Anyway, if you run a Wiki, I'd suggest MediaWiki. It's the same software that poweres Wikipedia.

Last edited by Guest on 20 May 2006 11:49:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 May 2006 03:43:54 am    Post subject:

Yeah, i've been looking at MediaWiki too. I don't know about CVS, because it's not just about source. I need a place to post my documentation too, so people get an idea of how to make stuff.

I need an OK from AlienCC too, it's his server after all. (and i need the SQL pw too i think)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement