This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Sep 2003 01:24:31 pm    Post subject:

Top 20 Ways Microsoft Would Change The Auto Industry

20. The radio would be computerized, but you'd need to install 64 Meg of RAM, a new sound card, a game card, a new video driver, a CD drive, and type C:\radio\talk\rush*.* to get it to play.
19. The entire engine wouldn't be in the bay at once, and the car would have to keep stopping and starting to load in the relevant parts.

18. The speedometer would read 70 even though you are only doing 50.

17. You would have to have a full service every 500 miles.

16. Your car would refuse to start with a message "Abort, Retry, Fail?"

15. For some reason the engine controller would need a 1G hard disc and would take 5 minutes to boot up.

14. The steering wheel would be replaced with a mouse and you'd need to memorize the keyboard short-cut for "Brake".

13. A particular model year of car wouldn't be available until after that year- instead of before it.

12. They wouldn't build their own engines but form a cartel with their engine supplier. The latest engine would have 16 cylinders, multi-point fuel injection and 4 turbos, but it would be a side-valve design so you could use Model-T Ford parts on it. There would be an "Engium Pro" with bigger turbos, but it would be slower on most existing roads.

11. The air bag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.

10. New seats would require everyone to have the same butt size.

9. We would all have to switch to Microsoft Gas.

8. The U.S. government would be forced to rebuild all of the roads for Microsoft cars; they will drive on the old roads, but they run very slowly.

7. The oil, alternator, gas and engine warning lights would be replaced by a single 'General Car Fault' warning light.

6. Sun MotorSystems would make a car that was solar-powered, twice as reliable and five times as fast, but would run on only 5% of the roads.

5. You would be constantly pressured to upgrade your car.

4. You could have only one person in the car at a time, unless you bought a Car95 or CarNT -- but then you would have to buy ten more seats and a new engine.

3. Occasionally, your car would die for NO apparent reason and you would have to restart it. Strangely, you would just accept this as normal.

3a. Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail to restart and you'd have to re-install the engine. For some strange reason, you'd just accept this, too.

2. Every time the lines of the road were repainted, you would have to buy a new car.

1. People would get excited about the new features of the latest Microsoft cars, forgetting that these same features had been available from other car makers for years.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
One day, Microsoft will rue the day it launched it's anti-ninja campaign.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2003 01:25:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 01 Sep 2003 05:11:59 pm    Post subject:

I hate that "Abort, Retry, Fail?" so much...
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Sep 2003 06:27:17 pm    Post subject:

See,that's why I like Macs. They don't run as many programs, but everything it does makes sense. It always has a reason for you to restart.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 01 Sep 2003 08:17:03 pm    Post subject:

heh. I can't think of a single time that windows had a reason for restarting. Sometimes, it just does when it feels like it, when you are still using it. Neutral
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 02 Sep 2003 06:51:05 am    Post subject:

In all my 10ish years of using windows, starting from way back in DOS, Ive never had these reseting problems that everybody always jokes about. The only times ive reset are if it locked up by me pushing it too hard, or when I needed to reset for a program or installation or hardware setup or something.

JoeImp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Sep 2003 07:06:48 am    Post subject:

IntrnalDsK wrote:
heh. I can't think of a single time that windows had a reason for restarting. Sometimes, it just does when it feels like it, when you are still using it.  Neutral

You probably have a problem with your power supply or cooling.
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 06 Sep 2003 07:18:04 pm    Post subject:

my windows has the unique habit of freezing for no particular reason. at first it was annoying, now i accept it as a part of life and feel privliged when it freezes Very Happy
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Sep 2003 08:26:52 am    Post subject:

mine does too.
it get very hot (it is a laptop), so i think that the processor is overheating
i hate it bcuz i get kicked off of irc due to ping timeout. Sad
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 09 Sep 2003 07:12:11 pm    Post subject:

isnt windows great? its the best os ever!
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 09 Sep 2003 10:10:22 pm    Post subject:

no, sorry, windows sux :)

unless u were being sarcastic... then <sarcasm>it works</sarcasm> Smile
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Sep 2003 09:53:44 am    Post subject:

Windows is good.

No, that wasn't sarcastic.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Sep 2003 02:40:48 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Windows is great for people who enjoy an easy to use operating system with no features except for an idiot proof GUI. It is also great for program installation because almost any idiot can insert a CD into a drive, close it, click I Agree to the terms, press next a dozen times, click finish once, and Yes restart now.

Providing you do not mind restarting everytime the system acts funny, windows is for you. It really is truely easy to use. I must give MS credit for that!
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 10 Sep 2003 05:27:06 pm    Post subject:

are you calling me an idoit? i may be stupid, lazy, a fool, a moron, nitwit, lack common sense, and think hippys are cool... but i am NOT an idoit

(for those of you who are wondering, yes i did look "idoit" up in the thesaurus)
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Sep 2003 09:58:19 pm    Post subject:

I believe JBirk meant to say "I - D - TEN - T" not idiot, sorry for the missunderstanding ;)

--AlienCC
Flash
Umpa Loompa

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 05:26:45 pm    Post subject:

i was joking anyway...
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 11:31:38 pm    Post subject:

Flash wrote:
are you calling me an idoit? i may be stupid, lazy, a fool, a moron, nitwit, lack common sense, and think hippys are cool... but i am NOT an idoit

(for those of you who are wondering, yes i did look "idoit" up in the thesaurus)

you ar also a poor speller. its "idiot", not "idoit"
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 11:31:46 pm    Post subject:

To clear up the misunderstanding,

I did not call anyone an idiot; however, I did say that idiots can use Windows because it is simple.

What I did not say is that every Windows user is an idiot, but you are welcome to believe anything you wish.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 11:36:07 pm    Post subject:

exactly. im not an idiot, but i use windows 98se bcuz im too lazy to download linux.
but that is being lazy and not an idiot.
case close on the idiot thing, so lets get back on topic.
point well proven jbirk </offtopic>

<ontopic> i made the mistake of reading this thread in the library. you can guess what happened

note that there is no </ontopic> tag

Last edited by Guest on 11 Sep 2003 11:38:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement