This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 11 May 2006 08:33:25 am    Post subject:

I tried some of the stuff on the site...but I just can't get it right. So I'm willing to admit that I'm not the most athletic person in my neighborhood. Sigh...back to arguing for free speech and calc programming for me...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2006 12:42:38 pm    Post subject:

You should keep at it, SilverCalc. I bet in 2 weeks, you could probably pick up all kinds of cool stuff. Some first-time moves just happen by accident too. Plus, it's just fun!

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Maybe start with some thicker bollards? (and in an arrangement where you're less likely to be impailed by one if you slip Razz)
[post="78963"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Very Happy D'oh! I've seen plently of skaters get smacked in the family jewls on TV to watch out for that. There's a set of flat bollards somewhere but I never paid much attention to them and now I don't know they are. The non-cheap wooden ones seem promising. Speaking of skaters, does anybody rollerblade, skateboard, or any other insane or odd sports?

Yeah, Lyricalwolf those staircases are a pain. Right now I'm afraid to jump more than 7 steps (even five steps I'm not crazy about). It's cool you healed up so fast.

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2006 12:44:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2006 12:52:54 pm    Post subject:

In my area they use these tiny little bollards that are only like a foot high and 5x5 inch thick, seems perfect to use thingis like those for practise. Thin enough to be challanging, but not high enough to break your neck.

I think going up staircases in a nimble and sportsmanlike fashion is more interesting than jumping off them.. less dangerous too I think. Razz That's what I used to do in elementary school, get up the stairs in as little steps (with your legs, not steps of the stairs) as possible. : )

I used to skateboard, but never was any good at it. All I can do is basic movement and some ollies. Fun though. edit: Oh and jump off stuff like stairs without falling (just jumping and not trying to do any silly tricks = no falling Razz).

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2006 12:55:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2006 01:13:33 pm    Post subject:

Yep, I was in Houston the other day and saw some ball teams doing stair drills on their stadium bleachers. Still trying to figure out the best way to get up stairs. I bet skipping steps going downstairs would be real good for foot-eye coordination. Real easy to trip though.

Racing elevators is kind of fun. If you beat it, the guys are all like: "WTF? How did he get here? ..Wait a second.."

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2006 01:21:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
trigkid213

Posted: 11 May 2006 02:49:05 pm    Post subject:

I used to jump over everything, but then I got careless and broke my arm jumping over a tennis net during spring break. The doctor said I shouldn't do any sports, running or working out until mid-June, and it was right in the middle of soccer and baseball season, too. Sad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2006 03:15:39 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Yep, I was in Houston the other day and saw some ball teams doing stair drills on their stadium bleachers.
Like, running up and down the stairs?

DigiTan wrote:
I bet skipping steps going downstairs would be real good for foot-eye coordination.  Real easy to trip though.
I think it is, going down so fast feels pretty good too, but it gets harder the longer the stairs are and having no railing is also very hard, even if it's just to feel them slide by and not even rest any weight on them.

DigiTan wrote:
Racing elevators is kind of fun. If you beat it, the guys are all like: "WTF? How did he get here? ..Wait a second.."
At college I actually make a point out of "racing" them (but I just go at my normal pase) and losing. No hurry. : )

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2006 03:16:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 May 2006 04:08:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Speaking of skaters, does anybody rollerblade, skateboard, or any other insane or odd sports?

*raises hand* I used to skateboard. I was alright at it, but couldn't do anything crazy. And as a kid I used to rollerblade alot.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2006 08:42:07 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Like, running up and down the stairs?

Yep, all the way up and then back. I guess it was maybe the baseball or soccer team out there.

@ trigkid213: Man, that sux about your arm. Sickness and injuries always seem to happen in the summer. I got an ankle sprain one summer running from a swarm of hornets. We hit their nest with a soccer ball.

I just realized there's a sofa in this room so I started trying monkey and dash vaults. So far I'm clipping my left foot but I'll keep at it so I can practice the real thing tomorrow. I bet it's not hard once you get used to it, it's just a scary move to try.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 11 May 2006 09:23:15 pm    Post subject:

My little brother broke his collarbone trying to tackle me. He was in the house for most of his summer. Sad I've never broken or sprained anything, and I wrestle (for fun) with my friends. We had a sumo wrestling match in my friend's pool, and it was fun but it was really challenging to try to keep good footing on the rubber floor of a outdoor pool.
Lyricalwolf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 May 2006 12:56:15 am    Post subject:

DigiTan the man wrote:
Yeah, Lyricalwolf those staircases are a pain. Right now I'm afraid to jump more than 7 steps (even five steps I'm not crazy about). It's cool you healed up so fast.

lol if fast is 3 months in bed and another 6 months hobbling around then yeah i'd say it was fast lol :biggrin:
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2006 08:23:18 am    Post subject:

D'oh! I thought it was just the summer. Cool

Groan, I couldn't bring myself to do that darned monkey vault. On each approach, I wind up and leading the vault with my right foot instead of getting both feet between my arms. Plus, that rail's over grass, so I won't get hurt; I just can't bring myself to do it. It's definately going on my list of scary moves. Very Happy
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2006 08:27:32 am    Post subject:

What is the monkey vault exactly?
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 12 May 2006 08:31:51 am    Post subject:

Rezek wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of skaters, does anybody rollerblade, skateboard, or any other insane or odd sports?

*raises hand* I used to skateboard. I was alright at it, but couldn't do anything crazy. And as a kid I used to rollerblade alot.
[post="78995"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I skateboard too. I can almost get my tre flips down. For those of you that don't know, that's a 360 kickflip. I love stair sets. The most I have done is 6 because that's the most I've found in my area. They were fun too.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2006 08:37:47 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
What is the monkey vault exactly?
[post="79083"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It's this move where you approach a rail and grab it with both hands as you jump over. Both legs have to go between both arms through the jump. Here's what it's supposed to look like step-by-step. I might try again this afternoon, I thing maybe I just didn't get enough sleep.

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2006 08:38:28 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 May 2006 04:47:01 pm    Post subject:

Gah, I don't think I could ever do that with my long legs. I'm fine with sideways vaults though. Good luck!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2006 05:03:27 pm    Post subject:

That's what I figured myself. My knees either won't fit or I clip the surface. There's this one dude on the urbanfreeflow forum who's like 6'4" and still manages it somehow. Its probably all mind over matter. Those videos make it look so easy. :sick:

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2006 05:38:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lyricalwolf

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 May 2006 10:19:20 pm    Post subject:

haha im 6'2" and I can do the monkey vault forwards and backwards just fine...It's all in your head!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2006 11:13:03 am    Post subject:

I think the keys to it are height and speed (in that order). I tried my first ones ever Saturday, and each time my feet clipped, I still landed okay because I had enough momentum to clear the bar. The 1st try was okay, but I stumbled on the landing. The 2nd time, my feet clipped, but I only stumbled and didn't land head-first land like I was afraid of. It's still a tricky move to practice without mats.

I started getting symptoms of runners knee after that afternoon. I got a milder version from hiking when I was 14, so as long as I chill out and stop jumping all over the place, it should go back to normal.

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2006 11:22:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2006 03:39:09 pm    Post subject:

Stretch, warm bath or shower, massage, etc before sports or excersize!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 May 2006 07:18:56 pm    Post subject:

I've think I changed my workout too suddenly for my knees to adjust. Looking at articles on runner's knee, it look like I had mostly every risk factor.

[edit]

Found another cool vid to pass the time. Well, there were tons of cool vids, but this one stuck out. This guy is a flipping monster! There's some awesome martial art stunts in there too (good anime-style fight scene at 02:36). As soon as my legs heals I'm gonna try learning the backflip. My dad has a few mats.

Oh right, here's the video:
* Insane Flipping, mall antics, fight stunts

Last edited by Guest on 28 May 2006 07:22:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement