This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 11:38:28 pm    Post subject:

Last year, I stumbled across the Urban Freeflow site thanks to some mad sleuthing from ducttape_87. "Beats the treadmill" I thought, so I tried it for a while; then sorta stopped due to lazyness.

Never again! The DigiTan who used to roll out of bed at 1 in the afternoon is no more...at least on weekdays. Typical mornings usually consist of me tip-toeing out to the balcony for stretches just after 0600hrs. It's actually a little earlier than I would like, but the sun's out early this time of year and I don't want huge audience when I wipe out...or any audience for that matter. Very Happy Here's the lowdown on the morning schedule:

Chasing early-morning commuters through the parking lots at 18mph usually gets the blood going; and I normally quit it before it's bright enough for the police to get a discription.

After that I head toward the school of management building, which is pretty barren on its east side. There's a long walkway lined with stone supports that are perfect for tic-tacing off of, plus stone ashtrays and garbage bags from the night before to set up as obstacles. For having such a bad sence of balance, I've actually cleared some pretty tall stuff.

Next, its to the registrar's office, where there are tall cement ledges to practice the land-and-roll, dismount, and wall run. It's not really tall, but it's only major jump that involves landing on grass instead of the unforgiving concrete.

Then, it's the railing at the student union. This one's in a nice loading dock area that's good for vaulting. Technically, the only vaults I've mastered are the speed and lazy vaults--which are arguably the easiest kinds. I want to do the monkey vault but I'm afraid of clipping my feet and eating a facefull of dirt for breakfast.

By now people are starting to show up. I'll usually do balancing drills on those metal posts that stick out of the ground to keep lunatics from driving on the sidewalks (you know what I'm talking about).

Anyway, that's the gist of it. It's really awesome stuff. Before now, a million alarm clocks wouldn't have gotten me out of bed before 11am. I won't say I'm as good as the guys in the videos below--as a matter of fact, I suck right now. But its all good. I notice the best runners in the videos never wear shirts. Therefore, tomorrow I'm going shirtless to become an expert runner. :biggrin: Current goals are: (1) balance on railing for 60 seconds, (2) more speed, (3) master the land-and-roll, (4) improve approaches/move intros, (5) don't get killed.

So does anybody else do this stuff or other crazy activities?

Awesome Freerunning Video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=84...running&pl=true
Oceanside Freerunning Vid: - Awesome stunts, big air, and backwards-footage? You betcha!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=64...running&pl=true
Texas Parkour: - Real Funny - Wipeouts Included
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=14...running&pl=true
Winter Shenanigans: - Watch the dude roll downhill like Sonic the Hedgehog
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=87...running&pl=true
Rural Stunts: - Real freaky arcade game at the end
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=86...running&pl=true
X-Treme Walking!! - Freerunners take on the more extreme challenge ever!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4...running&pl=true

Last edited by Guest on 24 Apr 2006 11:53:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 11:53:04 pm    Post subject:

nothing that extreme......

I just jump over everything and anything possible....
bike 4 miles a day....
put my alarm clock where I cant reach it....
bike 6 miles in and out of school (each way) on 45oF days....
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 11:54:17 pm    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
[post="76858"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Heh heh. I thought I was the only one who did that. Very Happy
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 01:21:33 am    Post subject:

My friends and I used to check out old buildings/factories/etc, try and get on top of stuff, jump stuff, etc. We're also car guys, go offroading in my friend's pathfinders and such. No good videos, just random stuff I have laying around.

[EDIT]

Videos removed, space is needed

Last edited by Guest on 29 Apr 2006 08:49:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 02:09:36 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

[post="76859"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

my beds up in a loft over my room...I put the clock down on my desk.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 02:26:47 am    Post subject:

Skateboarding for those without a skateboard. Awesome videos. :biggrin:
Cure

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 07:03:23 am    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
Skateboarding for those without a skateboard.[post="76863"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That's what I though too. Looks pretty cool though.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 11:48:19 am    Post subject:

Oh, and I'm surprised you didn't link to this video in the first post, it's pretty famous:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=515642196227308929

Watch it all the way through. Really good stuff.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 12:54:58 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

[post="76859"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Lol, I do it too 'cause it's the only way I can wake up!

I've been meaning to be more active, but schoolwork has impeded me.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Apr 2006 12:56:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 04:03:30 pm    Post subject:

Wow, so you're actually doing this? It looks like something I would like to learn to do. Maybe once I master Aikido and learn Capoeira. Razz

I just watched the first video, and it is very cool. It's like the next step up from N, after Lode Runner! I think there should be a game called Free Runner, where you run around like that. (who should be the enemies in that one, monks or robots?) Maybe it could be freeware. You know, because it's called Free Runner. Razz
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 05:34:20 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I remember looking into it after you mentioned Aikido a year ago and thought it would be cool to try. It's real good for keeping my mind off the crazy crap that goes on at school. That Russian video was wicked! Cool I wonder what kind of shoes they use for that because I'm sliding around like crazy out here.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Apr 2006 05:34:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 07:13:27 pm    Post subject:

I agree that that Russian video was awsome. What I'd like to see is a police officer try to catch them, that would be funny. Man those guys have to be so physically fit to do that. That video was incredible, it makes me wish I could do that.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 07:19:42 pm    Post subject:

I stick with actions that don't get me killed. I'm a tall lanky guy and flips and acrobatic manuevers are not my specialty. I once tried a standing frontflip and thought I could do it w/o a mat or spotter. I smashed my knees and couldn't walk for 2 days. I never have tried again since. I stick with juggling objects.
axcho

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 07:30:05 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it looks very dangerous, and physically demanding. I don't think I could run or climb so much without a lot of training. Also, just balancing like that is really hard! I think I'll stick to making a game about it.

What other kinds of Free stuff is there? Like Free Running, Free Jazz...
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 07:41:44 pm    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
I stick with actions that don't get me killed.
I'm always surprised how many people don't adhere to this rather useful adage. I stick with balancing. I can balance a bat indefinitely, and can sometimes flip it and catch it on my finger.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 10:31:48 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, it looks pretty demanding. It would be cool to get one of those suit-n-tie jobs and just flip out with all those moves at 5:00. Everybody would all like: "Whoa! WTF?!!?" And talk about some wicked getaway moves. I don't anybody could catch those video guys except maybe another freerunner.

So far I got to where I can balance on a railing for about 20 seconds average. That 60 seconds goal will probably require more focus on my part. Too bad there's not one of those cool gyms around.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Apr 2006 10:32:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Apr 2006 07:02:24 am    Post subject:

There's a video out there where they do this raid-the-bad-guy's-villa-while-being-chased-by-generic-bad-guys thing, it's pretty cool.

Check out:

Quote:
Strength training is used to develop the strength and size of skeletal muscles. Properly performed, strength training can provide significant functional benefits and improvement in overall health and well-being. Strength training is often associated with resistance training, and particularly weight training, but there are a number of other forms of training that are also used to develop strength. These include:

* Isometric exercise, which was popularised by Charles Atlas.
    * Plyometrics
    * Sprinting
    * Pilates
    * Yoga
    * Metal Rod Exercises
    * Martial arts

Plyometrics and Metal Rod Exercises seem very usefull.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Apr 2006 04:02:41 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I bet that metal rod stuff is real good for martial arts training too. I had some success with Pilates last summer when I didn't have any gym equipment around--plus it works anywhere.

I guess axcho wasn't kidding about it being demanding. I accidentally discovered reverse vaults and started going berzerk around the loading zones. After only 10 of them I was completely wiped out and couldn't jump anymore. Now I'm really sore. Cool Have to take the day off and watch more video clips.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Apr 2006 04:09:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 27 Apr 2006 04:41:10 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, yesterday I did some cartwheels for the first time in maybe ten years, and my arms and hands are still tired!

It would be great to be able to just break out some flips or cartwheels while walking to class... Very Happy

Also check out some Capoeira videos on Google. They do a lot of flips and stuff. It's fun to watch.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Apr 2006 04:46:18 pm    Post subject:

Aw man, you've gotta tell me how to do cartwheels. I'm afraid of flipping over. (Even the rolling I'm not too crazy about).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement