This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. 68k Calculator Basic => TI-BASIC
whlabus

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 03:36:34 pm    Post subject:

I currently have a regular TI-83+, and I know TI-Basic pretty well, but I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to the TI-89 Titanium. I know it's faster, has more memory, and has a higher-resolution screen, but I was looking through the free online manual on TI's website, and noticed in the programming section that it is noticeably different than the TI-83+. So, I was wondering if anyone could provide an opinion or advice on it and whether or not it would be worth it to upgrade. Things such as, is the programming harder or easier, are there more and better programming features, ect.

Thanks for any advice, opinions, comments.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 03:55:32 pm    Post subject:

You can program in C and there are pretty good libraries. I don't know why you'd upgrade for solely programming reasons. The math capabilities are what you're looking for. The Basic is also "improved" i guess.
Plague

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 04:45:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes, like Liazon said, with TigCC you can program the Ti 89 in C programing launguage that runs at almost assembly speed, wich is faster than asm on a ti83+ (i think)

the basic programing imo is harder and not worth it as much. if you want to program the 89 you want to do it with TigCC.

the 89 is the best math calculator and is banned on many major tests like the act. It has so many powerful functions liek a solver, pretty print, radical simplifier, factor, expand, to much to list. I would recomend anyone with teh extra money to get one, if not for programing, for school.

I bought it to program with, i havnt made a single program for it yet, but i do have it full of other's games.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 05:49:29 pm    Post subject:

The 89 manages to feel a lot more like a computer than the 83+:

1. 89 basic offers way more control over the system.
  2. You don't have to use menus to get to all the commands (you can simply type them in).
  3. It actually has a GUI.
  4. It has a higher resolution.
  5. It allows custom named variables and functions.
  6. It actually has a convert-to-string command.
  7. The memory feels limitless when compared to the 83+ (Our World and Geometer's Sketchpad on the same calculator!).
  8. The CAS is powerful enough to take an algebra course for you.
  9. It has Pretty Print.
On the other hand, it has a smaller userbase, though there are still plenty of good programs for it.
programmer_to_be
Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.

Elite

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 09:06:10 pm    Post subject:

Would you say that using C on the 89 is better than using Asm on the 83/84 line of calculators?
Plague

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 09:32:27 pm    Post subject:

ummm

i have made 2 succesful asm programs for the 83+, "hello world" and one that displayed inverted text.

i have made one c program for the 89, it did the same, so i cant say i have much experience, but i would think C is defiantly easier to learn than asm.

the 89 is also faster, more memory, beter file save sytem(folders) soooo many more features, bigger screen resolution(pixel #) etc...

89 is defiatly teh best programing calculator that i have ever seen. (the voyage and 92 im not sure about)

89 is defiantly worth having, i recoomend it to everyone taking algebra (i will pass algebra and algebra 2 class FOR YOU.) pluss teh games are so much better Smile
whlabus

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 09:37:57 pm    Post subject:

I know the TI-89 Titanium sports a grayscale screen. Does anyone know how many shades of gray is can display?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2006 09:38:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Plague

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 09:59:45 pm    Post subject:

you can have grey scale on an 83+ (example: Desolate comes to mind)

grey scale is a side effect, not a built in function, and is only capable using asm code for both the 83+ and 89. so you must know asm or C(using TigCC for teh 89) to make grey scale programs.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:28:56 pm    Post subject:

Umm, greyscale is a product of switching pixels on and off at a certain frequency, that is basically it...
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 08:38:15 am    Post subject:

programmer_to_be wrote:
Would you say that using C on the 89 is better than using Asm on the 83/84 line of calculators?
[post="76163"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

No, a lot of 89 games will still require custom ASM code integrated into the C code to make it run faster. Of course, you don't have to know 68k ASM to use it, you just need to know its inputs and outputs. For example, the new F-Zero game for 68k uses the Mode7 engine, which in its speed critical sections, are written in purely ASM. For small systems like Ti-Calcs, the only advantage that ASM has over C or Basic is more control. With a computer, asking another computer to compile for you is much better considering how more complex a computer processor can be.

Plague wrote:
ummm

i have made 2 succesful asm programs for the 83+, "hello world" and one that displayed inverted text.

i have made one c program for the 89, it did the same, so i cant say i have much experience, but i would think C is defiantly easier to learn than asm.

the 89 is also faster, more memory, beter file save sytem(folders) soooo many more features, bigger screen resolution(pixel #) etc...

89 is defiatly teh best programing calculator that i have ever seen.  (the voyage and 92 im not sure about)

89 is defiantly worth having, i recoomend it to everyone taking algebra (i will pass algebra and algebra 2 class FOR YOU.) pluss teh games are so much better Smile
[post="76167"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

You can program for all three 68k calcs using TIGCC at the same time. A lot of its preprocessor/precompile abilities are pretty good. Using Macros, defines, and pseudo constants, you can program for all three. Also, all three use the exact same screen memory. That is to say, although the 89 has a smaller screen, the memory allocated to buffer the screen is the exact same size as the V200/Ti-92 screen, and it is indexed the same way. Code is easily modified for all the calcs.

@plaque: You don't need an 89 for Algebra2, a regular 83+ does the trick. You'll definitely appreciate the 89 for its calculus capabilities.

whlabus wrote:
I know the TI-89 Titanium sports a grayscale screen. Does anyone know how many shades of gray is can display?
[post="76170"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Standard libraries support only 4 levels of greyscale. Trust me, just 4 levels sometimes looks horrible on a real calc. I believe 7 levels are possible if you write C routines yourself, but it will probably be slower.

@plaque: you're right and wrong about the 68k greyscale. It is sorta "built in" in the original 89 that uses HW1. It's "built in" in the sense that you can trick the LCD driver to accept a different buffer from the hardware buffer to display to the screen. In other words, you can tell the calc every second or so to switch the source of your screen display. In the later HW versions, TIGCC had to modify this method because you could no longer do this. The LCD Driver is now in its own protected section of RAM, so greyscale must be acheived by copying entire buffers (700+ bytes) to other buffers.

For the most part though, grayscale functionality is built into TIGCC. You can use it without knowing how it works where as on the 8x+ series, you will need to know about interrupts and how to write one to perform greyscale.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Apr 2006 08:43:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Plague

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 04:39:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Umm, greyscale is a product of switching pixels on and off at a certain frequency, that is basically it...

yeah, its a side effect (or is imo)

Quote:
@plaque: You don't need an 89 for Algebra2, a regular 83+ does the trick. You'll definitely appreciate the 89 for its calculus capabilities

yes and no. it isnt needed in algebra 1 or 2, but it would pass the class for you. Im 3/4 of the way done with pre calculus, and i havnt used the 89 but for one section on long division. i dont even cary it to class anymore.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 08:19:22 pm    Post subject:

Guys, we don't have an 89 series subforum for nothing, you know.
SilverCalcKnight
|_

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 09:45:53 pm    Post subject:

I can sum the 89Ti up in one word: Superb.
However, you'll need some utilities if you want to play 89 C/Asm games on it, because of the hardware difference. Just look at my sig, I learned it the hard way...
But it has been extremely helpful in math. I still had an A in algebra 1, but the calc is like insurance if you're unsure of something, it will solve a lot of your problems (pun intended).
CDI

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 09:42:32 pm    Post subject:

89 GS is very possible easily, it has an xorpic command! (BASIC)

Last edited by Guest on 21 Apr 2006 09:42:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 11:25:56 pm    Post subject:

bukwirm mentioned that he used cycle pic to create basic greyscale.

basic greyscale will never cease to amaze me

Last edited by Guest on 21 Apr 2006 11:26:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
CDI

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 11:32:21 pm    Post subject:

buy with xor pic you can do alot more (I think)
bukwirm

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 11:49:35 pm    Post subject:

XORing 2 small pictures works a lot better. (The smaller the pictures are, the faster it works.)
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Apr 2006 06:47:44 am    Post subject:

[quote name='SilverCalcKnight's sig']I, from this day forward, dedicate my sig to IAmACalculator, who has taught me the power of 2nd-Left-Right-On in a calc crash![/quote]Nah, you should dedicate it to this FAQ, where I learned the awesome 1337ness that is 2nd+Left+Right+On, and of the usefulness that is GhostBuster.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement