This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Robot War => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Robot War

» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2006 08:31:04 pm    Post subject:

Color Association Test for Game

A few months ago, I started working on plans for a sequel to Robot War. The storyline will be based on the original, but the gameplay is drastically new (so new, it's certain to get a new title). As part of the character deveopment scheme, I figured it would be interesting to have the character stats be loosely tied to the player's personality. That way, it's unlikely two gamers can have matching stats.

Since a questionaire is...well...out of the question, it needs to be something short and to-the-point. Apparently, there's plenty of symbolism behind color, so that's the angle I wanted to run. I tired google and found tons of stuff that links colors to certain personalies, so I think it'll work. The color associations even have some physical effects (ex: blue is a known appetite supressant).

What's it all for?

So basically, before the gamer starts out on his quest, they have to choose from a list of colors before the game can begin That decision is saved as a permanent stat that affects how all other player stats and abilities will progress. Most importantly, I don't want the gamer to know what the color actually does--they just pick what they pick.

It can't be too elaborate and I can only list a few colors. I figure this poll will help indicate what should added. Note I only need basic color names, so if you like slate, silver or platinum, it would go under "gray." Razz Etc... The big chart below kind of shows what I had in mind.

So does anybody have some ideas a how these should affect character development? And er, what did you vote for?

-------------------------------------------------

There's also:
* Color Wheel Pro - See Color Theory in Action
* Wikipedia - Color Psychology

Last edited by Guest on 27 Feb 2010 03:14:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 14 Apr 2006 09:29:09 pm    Post subject:

Well, you could have each color have their own set of special moves based on the personality.

I'd vote for white, black, purple, red, and blue, because those sound the most interesting. Of course, no one will be any one color.

Alternately, you could have the player pick a number between 1 and 4, without telling them that it will affect anything. Almost everyone picks 3. Why? I don't know.

I'm mainly blue.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2006 09:32:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 01:57:32 am    Post subject:

This scared me at first! I thought you were talking about colors in the game itself! lol...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 06:01:07 am    Post subject:

How should the player know what colour fits their personality best?
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 06:57:20 am    Post subject:

The point is (I think) that the player will naturally pick the color that fits their personality best. It's a psychology thing that I don't pretend to understand. Of course, it would be different if the color was right in front of you rather than in glorious black and white.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 10:46:55 am    Post subject:

Lol, then I must be silly because I can't choose :P

Besides, wouldn't you pick a colour depending on your mood, not your personality?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 01:18:25 pm    Post subject:

That's a good point. I could probably ask for mood instead. I don't want to them to over-think about it, so a mood question would probably work out.
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 02:02:59 pm    Post subject:

for your poll, you should have made each entry colored. that way it would have a beter response
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 04:55:18 pm    Post subject:

Would this work if I was color-blind? lol...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 06:14:34 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
That's a good point.  I could probably ask for mood instead.  I don't want to them to over-think about it, so a mood question would probably work out.
[post="75643"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Plus, it enhances replayability. ; )
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 06:21:56 pm    Post subject:

Well, you don't have to give an answer based on your mood, it just tells you to. :biggrin:
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Apr 2006 10:12:11 pm    Post subject:

c_plus_plus wrote:
for your poll, you should have made each entry colored. that way it would have a beter response
[post="75647"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I tried it just now, but it only shows the IPB tags. :: Grumbling :: For the color-blind, I figure they might also have some idea of color meanings from hear-say. And old cliches like "seeing red," "green with envy;" that sorta stuff. I like the idea of replayability too. The personality factor might replace the character class stats you see in D&D or Warhammer, and encourage players to experiment with different types.

I choose orange as my favorite. It's a real intense and unusual color, so I have it on most of my stuff (backpack, sunglasses, 3" disks, avatar, etc...). It's everywhere man. Very Happy

I almost forgot some important info. Here are some of the stat types I had in mind. The color choice would tweek certain stats to grow slightly more/less often than normal. Like since red is associated with power, that might give you an ATK-based character that can use high-damage attacks. Of course, that's just opinion, which is why I need you guys.

HP Capacity
Like the name says, a personality that favors HP capacitity will lead to a character that can take much more damage that usual.
EP Capacity
Normally goes by MP, SP, or mana in other games.
ATK
Damage inflicted. Counteracts the enemie's DEF.
DEF
Counteracts the enemie's ATK.
SPE
The speed your characters runs, and attack rate.
CTRL
Liklihood of attacking without loss of mana
LUCK
Increases occurrence of damage bonuses. "x2 Hit," "x3 Hit", etc...
IMMUNITY
Resistance to burns and other side-effects.
STRENGTH
Ability to toss enemies. Tossing an object hard enough might slam it into another object and do bonus damage.
MASS
"Un-tossability."

Last edited by Guest on 16 Apr 2006 04:40:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 12:14:25 am    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
Would this work if I was color-blind?  lol...
[post="75653"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Yeah, since colorblind people (like moi) only have trouble with green-red and sometimes blue-yellow.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 08:28:37 am    Post subject:

As a rule (I think), warm colors would be associated more with the attack-type stats, while cool colors would correspond to the defensive stats.

That being said, green and luck, in my opinion, naturally go together.
bananaman
Indestructible

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 03:08:34 pm    Post subject:

I choose orange b/c I just like orange and it is different.

I have a color blind friend who sees everything in shades of gray.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 05:09:34 pm    Post subject:

I had this lab partner once who couldn't distinguish yellows and oranges. One time he said someone left a yellow floppy at our workstation and I'm like: "Not mine." Next week, I get to class early and found out it was my orange one the whole time. Should probably put my name onnit.

Green for luck sounds about right. Red and ATK seem to go together okay. And maybe white for immunity.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Apr 2006 05:10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 05:12:27 pm    Post subject:

bananaman wrote:
I choose orange b/c I just like orange and it is different.

I have a color blind friend who sees everything in shades of gray.
[post="75728"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Based on the poll results, you just might to have to give up that "it is different" part of your argument.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 06:54:30 pm    Post subject:

Orange is a very nice colour.

I've heard that this summer is going to be about white.

Myself, I have recieved comments today that I'm a bit wierd and became blissfully silent when a friend described the an encounter with a hippie girl at his work last week. I have no idea what colour would honour that.
Vinthian
formerly known as shortround4271

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Apr 2006 09:15:41 pm    Post subject:

orange rules.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Apr 2006 04:29:05 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, that's weird. I always figured blue would be more popular from being more associated with computers and stuff.

I've got another question. Should the difference between character types be large or small. Before, there were explict characters classes for destroyers, defenders, saboteurs, and healers; but that only affected the availability of certain attacks. Should the color choice affect available attacks as well as stat growth?

Last edited by Guest on 17 Apr 2006 04:29:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 10 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement