This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
trigkid213

Posted: 11 Apr 2006 03:33:49 pm    Post subject:

I need help on physics homework. We submit most of our homework online (it's called CAPA). I'm on the last problem:

The plates of a 580 pF capacitor are seperated by a distance of 7.21 mm. The space is filled with air. The capacitor is connected to a 12 V source.
A. What is the electric field between the plates?
B. How much force pulls the plates together?

Can some give me the formula for electric field strength in relation to distance between the plates? I need it in the next ten or fifteen minutes.

Edit: Gotta go. Sad

Last edited by Guest on 11 Apr 2006 08:19:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Apr 2006 03:49:21 pm    Post subject:

b.

Coulomb Force Law - the magnitude of the force of interaction between two point charges is proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance squared between the two charges, ie

F = k( q1* q2) / r^2 where k = 9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2

and the direction of the force is along the line connecting the two charges

hope that what u need

Last edited by Guest on 11 Apr 2006 03:50:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raster

Posted: 13 Apr 2006 10:29:46 pm    Post subject:

I should know this for being such a tech geek... but oddly enough, I dont... I guess I am more of a digital guy :biggrin: .
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2006 04:25:14 am    Post subject:

I've had this in highschool, but question a is rather strange for me "what is the electric field", the electric field is the electric field???? Or maybe the electric field is nice?? a particular colour? political association?

??
trigkid213

Posted: 14 Apr 2006 07:37:09 am    Post subject:

I meant the strength of the electric field, which is a ratio of force to charge (in Newtons per Coulomb, or N/C).
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Apr 2006 05:10:46 pm    Post subject:

You could probably use the E = Voltage/distance formula to get E = 1660 Volts/meter. That sounds like a ridiculously high, but its about right.

That one came from Gauss's Law (∫ E ∙ dA = ρfree/ε). That basically says, "the total electric field (E) from a closed surface made up of infinately small sections (dA) is equal to the total charge inside (ρfree) divided by permittivity of the material it's in (ε).

Anyway, because it's dealing with a surface area, you'd want to introduce area into the equation. ρfree is the same as "area * ρfree/area," so you call "ρfree/area" σ (density), and call "area" A...

∫ E ∙ dA = σ A /ε

This part gets kind of hard to visualize. We assume the plate is completely flat and we measure the total E field coming out of it drawing a boundary around it and using the integral to "count" the total E entering and/or leaving the boundary. To simplify the math as much as possible, the boundary is usually shaped like a flattened cylinder. Since the flattened walls have almost 0 height, we ignore them and concentrait on only the top and bottom. So the formula becomes.

∫ dA + ∫ dA + 0 = σ A /ε
^top ^bottom ^ walls

Regardless of the coordinate system, ∫ dA = A always. Now that the integrals are gone, you solve for E...

E A + E A + 0 = σ A /ε
2EA = σ A /ε
2EA / A = σ /ε
2 E = σ /ε
2 E / 2 = σ / 2 ε
E = σ / 2 ε

...So now "E" is the electric field vector coming out of 1 plate. We know the E field always points toward negative charges and away from positive charges. Treat the fields from the plates as separate fields. One field (-) will be point toward its plate, the other (+) will be pointing away from its plate. To two fields will add up to become doubly strong, so the field in between is...

Etotal = 2*E
Etotal = σ / ε

So it's really the charge per area, divided by the permittivity of the material. Using Ampere's and Faraday's laws, it's possible to link this to the E = V/d formula, but that's a huge pain.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Apr 2006 05:12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
trigkid213

Posted: 17 May 2006 04:20:51 pm    Post subject:

Another question:

Protons move in a circle of radius 5.60 cm in a 0.548 T magnetic field. What value of electric field could make their paths straight?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement