This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Mar 2006 04:31:08 pm    Post subject:

Which language should I learn. At the moment I'm debating C++ and Java. Which language will stay around longer?

edit: calculators will probably still be my main focus though.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Mar 2006 04:31:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2006 04:35:15 pm    Post subject:

GUI Apps/3D games: C++
Browser/platform independant/GUI Apps: Java

Answer: both.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Mar 2006 04:42:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Mar 2006 04:41:05 pm    Post subject:

I can't say which is best since I only know C++ but I can say that this language is great.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Mar 2006 05:00:12 pm    Post subject:

My personal vote is Java, cause its multi-platform, but C++ and wxWidgets is a great combo too.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Mar 2006 11:39:47 pm    Post subject:

Aren't C++ and Java 80-90% the same? Once you learn the thought processes in one, you just have to change the syntax, right?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 08:47:47 am    Post subject:

C++ is a bastardization of OOP and procedural. Java was designed to have similar syntax, btu be more OOPish.

Ive heard SmallTalk is the best pure OOP language, but I haven't had any experience with it.
CoBB

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 09:33:39 am    Post subject:

Read and understand this first...
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 09:47:53 am    Post subject:

I'd learn Java if I were you. IMHO, it's simpler and a great gateway language to C/C++.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 10:22:15 am    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
Read and understand this first...
[post="71850"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sweet book
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 05:50:26 pm    Post subject:

Can someone point me to a book that's good for HTML. I want to learn it much better then i know now.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2006 06:51:19 pm    Post subject:

First, you should try a good online tutorial (click on Next [font="courier new"]► to move forward).

If you still want a book: HTML: The Definitive Guide, Third Edition
This is not just one Google result I happened to stumble upon. This guide is freaking awesome. Wink
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Mar 2006 03:25:07 pm    Post subject:

As far as languages go,

First, learn C, if for no other reason than most all modern language borrow heavily on C's syntax. Also, if you can't use C at least somewhat competently, you can take it as an indication that maybe your adventure into this "computer programming" deal just wasn't meant to be.

From C, if you want to lean towards OOP, try my new favorite language, Objective-C. As a superset of C (unlike C++), you can build off your C code. The OOP features are almost wholly distinguishible from the procedural (so you can tell what you're doing), and also Apple's doc includes a very nice description of the OOP paradigm.

Next, for a purer OOP language use Java. Compared to C++, there's a lot less cruft to the language, the GC lets you program without concerning yourself about proper disposal, and it's "The Language of the Internet" (tm).

After Java, go on to C++, and in no time flat you'll be multiply inheriting and quadruply nesting glorified Awk scripts^H*21 templates with the best of 'em.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Mar 2006 08:56:24 pm    Post subject:

Sorry but is the book you recomended Arcane Wizard an online book or something. I can't seem to find where to buy it.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Mar 2006 09:17:31 pm    Post subject:

For pure OOP, go SmallTalk.
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Mar 2006 10:17:12 pm    Post subject:

i agree entirely with sigma about C, it is the foundation of almost all modern languages, in the computer world if one is a programmer one is expected to know C/C++ and C is more practical (C++ is sort of an extension of C, in fact most languages are "extensions" of C but many go in oposite directions) to learn C i would recamend K&R's "the C programming language" the orginal book on C in fact one of the authors is one of the people who invented C. here is a link to it.

it would be a better idea to learn C and then JAVA, if you must than the other way around

and that book on HTML is not a good book to learn from, i have the 5th edition sitting on my desk right now, it is an excellent refrence but a horrible book to learn from, for a book to learn from i would recamend the visual Quickstart one here

Last edited by Guest on 12 Mar 2006 10:23:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Mar 2006 10:42:33 pm    Post subject:

Ok, thanks for the book... to get it strait I know some HTML but am interested in a book that will guide me to becoming good enough to make pretty web-sites. It has to be a book because I plan on coding on a computer which doesn't have internet access. Copying finished stuff to CD when done and going from there. That's what I do with C++. Will this book do that?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Mar 2006 11:18:56 pm    Post subject:

so I'm guessing computer C is nothing like TIGCC, and since I'm still really bad at TIGCC, I probably shouldn't be programming computers?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Mar 2006 12:21:29 am    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
so I'm guessing computer C is nothing like TIGCC, and since I'm still really bad at TIGCC, I probably shouldn't be programming computers?

its the exact same language, only the libraries are different. I find having bigger libraries makes it easier, not harder
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 Mar 2006 12:46:34 am    Post subject:

i need more time to learn i guess. and it's not isometric
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Mar 2006 07:56:34 pm    Post subject:

Just like to thank Weregoose for the HTML guide he recomended, although I couldn't find the book anywhere, in the past two days I went through half of the website and understand everything perfectly. Thanks!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement