This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Neostar

Posted: 21 Aug 2003 05:38:48 pm    Post subject:

Reading the Magic: The Gathering game idea reminded me of the game I started to make but never finished because people lost interest in Duel Monsters.... but, who cares about them they aren't important, I am going to finish that game along with a game I've been dying to make but didn't think I had the skills to make... well it turns out I do, PaperBoy! will be made for the TI-83 and 83+. The Yu-Gi-Oh game 1st version will be 1 player, so I have to prog in A.I. I expect it to be HUGE, but worth it...
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 24 Aug 2003 09:24:36 pm    Post subject:

Yu-Gi-Oh! sucks as an actuall card game, but when done as a video game, it can have some good applications. I'd like to see how this turns out. I'd even help you figure out a storyline (which Yu-Gi-Oh! lacks) to make it worth it.
Twiztid33

Posted: 24 Aug 2003 11:12:12 pm    Post subject:

goos luck with those two games, ill definently have to play since i have played most of your other games
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 09:34:52 am    Post subject:

Could you explain what yu-gi-oh actually is? I've never heard of it.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 10:49:56 am    Post subject:

um, like Magic; the gathering, but less complex, and therefore less fun. or, like pokemon, but more complex, and therefore will be boring, but not to the point of death.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 10:57:27 am    Post subject:

Now I'm confused, I thought pokemon was a cartoon series and magic a card game? Also, I hope "a card game" isn't the most precise description of yu-gi-oh.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 11:01:06 am    Post subject:

they had pokemon cards too...
edit; and I don't play yu-gi-oh, because it's not complicated enough to be interesting

Last edited by Guest on 25 Aug 2003 11:03:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 04:32:36 pm    Post subject:

lol. I hate Yu -gi-oh. But still gl with your games.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 25 Aug 2003 07:59:34 pm    Post subject:

Yu-gi-oh can be pretty complicated actually, excpecially the new decks. Even if yu-gi-oh was the simplest game ever, mabey its funner that way. You can't say that a more complicated game is always more fun. "Yu-Gi-Oh! sucks as an actuall card game" - I highly disagree. I play Magic too, and I played Pokemon like 4 years ago, and I like Yu-gi-oh as much as Magic.

[EDIT] Btw, whats with this warn bars? I havent seen any real problems here that would recuire a warning bar. Plus, its kinda cheep UTI Staff dont get warning bars :P

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 25 Aug 2003 08:00:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
62 52 53 53

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 07:42:58 am    Post subject:

just the new forum version. nothing else.
And I think Magic is better. Nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. First of all, it was the first TCG. So all the other things coppied. That makes the others worse, because A, they had to copy, and B, even if the others are good, that's a compliment to Magic for creating the TCG concept. Second, is the fact that Magic has been arround for a long time. I already know it's not one of those fads that comes and goes. Yu-Gi-Oh, however has not been arround long enough to know if it will be one of those games. Third, the Magic community has lots of adults. That prooves it's still complicated and fun for them. However, Yu-Gi-Oh is a game that I have never seen an adult who plays. Magic is focused towards the older group of people. Games like Yu-Gi-Oh are focused towards younger players. They don't have as much strategy. They also use absurdly high numbers. A Yu-Gi-Oh creature might be 4200000/4200000 but that's only because they multiply a smaller value by 700000, and if they have to make them look really good, the game isn't good enough by itself. The people who make that type of game use big numbers to make the audience like the game, but I think that just wastes time and space, and prooves that those games need to look like the cards are good so people won't realize that they aren't really. If it has all the warning signs of being one of the boring simple games, I don't really expect, or even believe that it could be complicated.

And if that's being programmed, (I'm interested in the programming parts of it, though the game is uninteresting) How is it going to work, since you need to shuffle and draw and whatever... I'm interested in knowing how you plan to program it. And what you programmed so far. I might be able to supply a few usefull things, or borrow some from you. After all, they are similar.

Last edited by Guest on 26 Aug 2003 08:08:38 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 08:42:32 am    Post subject:

What!? The most atttack/defense ive ever seen on any moster in yu-gi-oh is 3000ish/3000ish. Mostly every moster is from 500/500 to 2000/2000. Where do you get these numbers like 4200000/4200000? If you have a card like that, send it to me cause you dont like yu-gi-oh! Smile Im not saying Magic is a bad game. I really like Magic, and I think it is a very well thought out game, and it is going to last for a while. I know you cant say where yu-gi-oh is going cause it hasnt been out long. Im just saying yu-gi-oh is fun for lots of people.

Imp
62 52 53 53

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 09:13:43 am    Post subject:

the point is that they are all huge.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
The Teacher Ninjas say: "Ok, class, our word for the day is 'exageration'. Can you say 'Exageration'"
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Guest on 26 Aug 2003 09:14:14 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 10:03:15 am    Post subject:

Who the **** cares. ooooooh big scary numbers up to ... ahhh 4 digits! This game must not be fun because its so diverse! This game cant be any good cause every moster isnt from 1/1 to 10/10. Run away from the scary numbers! I might have to subtract!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 10:16:14 am    Post subject:

My scissors will beat your puny cards any time.

PHEAR!!!11!!1!one!!11!

msg: ligthen up joeimp&co

Last edited by Guest on 26 Aug 2003 10:17:22 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 10:32:17 am    Post subject:

Lol, thank you Cool
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 01:33:28 pm    Post subject:

Yu-Gi-Oh! has little, if any, stratagy to it. It simply revolves around who has the more expensive cards. Any card in that game that does anything even remotely usefull is a "super rare" or higher, and is probably limited to 1 per deck. Did they even try to balance it? Every time they come out with a card that is in any way helpfull, they limit it to 1 or 2 per deck. There's no balancing and counterbalancing involved here. There is only one card I know of that can counter a trap card, and it is limited to 1 per deck and is a "secret rare". This game is BS.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 26 Aug 2003 04:20:21 pm    Post subject:

Wtf are you talking about. Do you even play the game. Most expensive cards? .... arent most expensive cards expensive because they're good? Therefore people would want them? So let me get this straight - in Magic, if you have a card valued at $2000, then it sucks and get it out of your deck? No stratigy? Heres some cards that I have -

"Playing this card when you have a lord of D card face-up on the field allows you to play up to 2 dragon-type cards from your hand as a special summon."

"When this card is summoned (excluding special summon) you may move 1 ritual magic card from your deck to your hand. The deck is then shuffled."

"You can activate this card when a Continuous Trap Card is activated. Negate all continuous trap cards during the turn this card is activated."

---- Riiiiight no strategy, all about the powerfull cards.

You probly have a load of Magic cards and you know everything about it, and about how good all different types of cards are. Try putting that amount of money into buying hundreds of yu-gi-oh cards then looking through them, and this time actually read.

id love to sit here and chat, but I have more pressing issues Mad
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 07:49:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
id love to sit here and chat, but I have more pressing issues

We're nice people, don't get mad at us! Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 27 Aug 2003 07:49:42 am; edited 1 time in total
62 52 53 53

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 08:49:03 am    Post subject:

yeah, big numbers, the things they use so little kiddies say wow. If they need all the little kids to say wow, that tends to mean it's not that great of a game in the first place If having big numbers is actually important to the game, they should start using the ones place. Then I might believe that the numbers adtually needed to be that big, and not label it a warning sign of a boring game.

And if you have card A in play, and play card B, you can get cards C and D. Wow. Strategy. It's really complicated to figure out that if you use those two cards in that order, something good happens. WRONG. However, in magic, two cards without refferences to eachother can interact to win you the game.

For example, with invasion, 1 land of each type, with a few extras, the Life half of Life and Death, and Coalatian Victory, and you win the game. However, Life is not required to make Coalatian Victory win you the game. You need to know the cards and analyze how they interact, not just be able to read.

And MTG has rares that suck and commons that rock. It's just more likely to be the other way arround. And some things just depend how you use them. A pacifism can be put to better use than a Silvos, Rouge Eelemental. That can be an example of a 3 cent card beating a 5 dollar card.

It's not like you say it is with Yu-Gi-Oh, that all the good cards are rare and cost a lot. I used to kill my friends who had decks with at least 25 percent rares with my deck, that had a grand total of 3rares. It was enough of a Weenie to get early dammage and survive permision, but enchantments made it bigger until the creatures were large enough to hold of a big deck. I've since improved it with more rares, but it didn't come down to who had better cards. It came down to who used them better.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 27 Aug 2003 09:28:01 am    Post subject:

Yes, having "big" numbers in the game is how the game works. "They should start using the ones place" - mabey that works for games that only HAVE a ones place ... but with 4 digits it'd be kinda wierd to see a monster with 901/712. It would make it harder to play since you need wierd subtration. That like saying mosters in Magic should be 4.45/2.3 - doesnt work. Noones says wow about your big numbers, they say wow when the card is powerful, because of its strength or abilities or whatever.

"However, in magic, two cards without refferences to eachother can interact to win you the game." You keep saying all this stuff about how Magic cards can interact, and yu-gi-oh cant. You obviously have not played the game that much. Just like Magic theres different types of decks people try to make - decks to combine different cards to defend themselves, others use combinations of attack cards together to directly attack the enemy, so on. There are so many cards you can play together to pack a nice little punch in, and to win the game easier, like in most games. For example, playing a card that gives you 100 life every time the other player loses a monster to the graveyard, then playing a card to make the other player discard 5 cards from his hand to the graveyard. Theres thousands of combinations you can use together, sometimes 3, 4, 5 cards together, just like in Magic

"And MTG has rares that suck and commons that rock" - So does mostly ever game.

I never said that every rare card was good, Im just saying chances are they're better because people pay more for them. Just like Magic, you could put down the most expensive card you own, then the other guy drops a single 5 cent magic card down that destroys an enemy monster.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement