This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
aforsy
the leaping penguin

Posted: 25 Jan 2006 06:46:27 pm    Post subject:

i'm not an experienced electronics guy, so this is just my nifty idea i thought of, not a real proposal:

it's always annoyed me that one has to pay a lot of money for USB mp3 players when if you already had a USB stick, you should be able to plug it into some sort of standard reciever that would then output any songs to some connected headphones. could this be possible with the 84 series calcs? the main problem, it seems, would be with decompressing songs. could a driver be written that wouldd search a connected USB device for uncompressed media types, then route those to the serial port, where one could listen to them on headphones? it would be, like, ya'll, the shiznit.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jan 2006 07:22:59 pm    Post subject:

As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, the time spent decoding the song would be too slow for the actual playing of the song, and I believe buffering is out of the question.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 03:45:04 pm    Post subject:

I second weregoose, and I have to say there is no point in my life where I would become so desprate to listen to music on my calc. Although its not a bad idea for sneaking music in school, but I'd rather learn. That's just me but I'm sure a lot of people here would rather learn. . . . .
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 04:08:05 pm    Post subject:

mobileTunes, calcmod, QuadPlay, ...
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 04:20:20 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere in this forum, the time spent decoding the song would be too slow for the actual playing of the song, and I believe buffering is out of the question.
[post="67831"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I'd like to add that it would be terrible quality as well, because of the sucky ports. And you'd need a converter, which isnt too good for quality either.

kermmartian wrote:
mobileTunes, calcmod, QuadPlay, ...
[post="68036"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
That's all midi eh. And they dont play off usb sticks.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 04:54:46 pm    Post subject:

You might be able to modify a calc with some kind of double port. Perhaps there would be an MP3 player inside the calc. Get those small earbud headphones and you can "sneak music into school".
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 05:05:31 pm    Post subject:

Wouldnt it be easier to just sneak your ipod into your pocket?
bukwirm

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 05:09:59 pm    Post subject:

There is a valid reason to have your calculator in class, but it might be hard to justify an IPod.

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2006 05:11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fr0stbyte124

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 05:36:56 pm    Post subject:

That "headphone jack" is actually an RS232 serial port. Imitation sound comming off of it has one amplitude, which means whatever is played sounds horrifyingly awful. Furthermore, you would need 3.5mm earbuds (expensive) or an adapter. Then one needs to consider just how foolish it would look to have a usb memory stick connected to an adapter connected to a TI-84 connected to earbuds sticking out of the ears of the sad individual who stuck all that extra junk together and then wrote a driver for it to listen to this:

*(This is Cartman from South Park, btw, so if you fear offensive language do not click on this.)

*(Furthermore, if you fear offensive imitation sound do not click on this)

Last edited by Guest on 27 Jan 2006 05:39:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 10:34:52 pm    Post subject:

I heard of that cartman prog on ti calc.org but i never had a cell phone headset to listen to it. Pretty cool if i do say so myself.
Fr0stbyte124

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 27 Jan 2006 11:54:57 pm    Post subject:

Yes, it's amazing that it works at all, but I wouldn't want to listen to music that comes out sounding like that.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Jan 2006 09:54:52 am    Post subject:

The problem is that you can only fit about 3 seconds of WAV on the calc...:S
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jan 2006 06:06:42 pm    Post subject:

When I was working with the Sonic audio (the hedgehog Sonic), I was getting upwards of 25 seconds of audio. If we applied a noise filter, we could probably get some measurable compression out of it.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Jan 2006 09:44:38 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, but I think in the long run it's not really worth it, considering the huge amount of non-audio data that could be fit into that space. Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement