This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Raster

Posted: 14 Jan 2006 12:37:55 am    Post subject:

kalan_vod wrote:
Well maybe you could go with something smaller like a flash chip from a mp3 player? I have a yepp with 35mb, could I combine it with my calcs flash?
[post="66772"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Na, Im going to stick with a hard drive. And about adding memory to your calculator, it maybe possible if the processor can handle a couple extra address lines...
Raster

Posted: 01 Feb 2006 09:20:43 pm    Post subject:

First, sorry for the double post...
Second, I have not got around to planning out everything just yet. The play at my school just ended, and I have alot of HW to catch up on... but the idea is still fresh in my mind, and I may need DigiTan's help with PIC controllers.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Feb 2006 02:10:18 pm    Post subject:

*cough* usb8x *cough*
Raster

Posted: 02 Feb 2006 03:47:18 pm    Post subject:

kermmartian wrote:
*cough* usb8x *cough*
[post="68646"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

NO USB!!! BAD KERMMARIAN!!! :biggrin:

I dont know much of anything about USB, and I am not ready to buy a $100 USB hard drive, so I am going to go completely serial... Plus I dont have an 84, I have an 89Ti.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Feb 2006 06:24:53 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'd go serial first; just to get things rolling. I heard someone talking about hard drive controllers last month, so I'll see if can't come up with a few links.
Rhynomite

Posted: 04 Feb 2006 04:16:40 pm    Post subject:

On the topic of usb8x...
What are the requirements for an adapter cable from a usb flash drive to the 84's mini usb port? Does it have to be "mini male A/female A"?
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Feb 2006 06:21:37 pm    Post subject:

Indeed it does. Does anyone know if there's a 68k port of usb8x planned?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Feb 2006 07:03:33 pm    Post subject:

-Sigh- Fine, if that's your way of saying we should try USB instead, I'll look into it.
Rhynomite

Posted: 04 Feb 2006 07:23:58 pm    Post subject:

Is this any help?
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thr...forum_id=480571
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Feb 2006 08:03:10 pm    Post subject:

kermmartian wrote:
Indeed it does.  Does anyone know if there's a 68k port of usb8x planned?
[post="68920"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

According to Rhynomite's post, yes. However, AFAIK, the ONLY current 89Ti program with USB support is Kevin Kofler's USB Backgammon.
Raster

Posted: 14 Feb 2006 01:21:31 pm    Post subject:

Here is the scoop on the TI-HardDrive project. I am going to use SERIAL!!! not USB. For my prototype I am going to be using standard 74LSxx CMOS chips instead of PIC controllers. I soon will use PIC controllers. I plan to use mostly 74LS164s and 74LS165s. They are serial to parallel translators. The schematic is still in the process of being developed, but I have been working on it as often as possible.

This post was mainly to inform people that this project is not dead, and never will be. The schematic drawing I hope will be done by the end of this week.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Feb 2006 01:22:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 Aug 2006 09:50:23 pm    Post subject:

...this is dead, isn't it? Laughing
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 12:00:49 am    Post subject:

What about a floppy drive? I personally like harddrives better, but for the task i think it might work better. I was looking at a unused FDD i have sitting on my desk and debating what to do with it. I thought that it might be easier then a harddrive to hook up to my vapor z80 project. I looked into it more and i think that it is a serial device, because there is only one read data line. To me it seems that hooking 2 serial devices together has got to be easier then a parallel to series. If you could get the transfer speed between the two to sync, I think it could be done. 1.44mb of space isnt too bad. Just figured i should share my idea with you.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 06:11:06 am    Post subject:

Not a bad idea, certainly. Hmm, I might read up on the floopy hard drive protocol.
The Dragon Master

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 11:53:49 am    Post subject:

Good ideas. Where do we get adapters for this stuff??
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 12:20:03 pm    Post subject:

todlangweilig wrote:
What about a floppy drive? I personally like harddrives better, but for the task i think it might work better. I was looking at a unused FDD i have sitting on my desk and debating what to do with it. I thought that it might be easier then a harddrive to hook up to my vapor z80 project. I looked into it more and i think that it is a serial device, because there is only one read data line. To me it seems that hooking 2 serial devices together has got to be easier then a parallel to series. If you could get the transfer speed between the two to sync, I think it could be done. 1.44mb of space isnt too bad. Just figured i should share my idea with you.
[post="87297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why not a DVD?? with 1.44 mb, you won't go far enough to store a movie...

And you'll still have that outside box for the disk

Last edited by Guest on 29 Aug 2006 12:20:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 03:45:55 pm    Post subject:

Fallen Ghost wrote:
todlangweilig wrote:
[post="87297"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

[post="87312"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

but it nearly doubles the memory of an 84+SE Wink
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 03:52:13 pm    Post subject:

And a USB like in the little video?
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Aug 2006 04:37:19 pm    Post subject:

Fallen Ghost wrote:

[post="87312"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The biggest problem with playing dvd's is decoding them. IIRC, how to decode them isn't released to the public. Elfprince13 is right, almost doubles the memory, it would be more than enough for non movie purposes.

@The Dragon Master:
they would pretty much have to be hand made.
Raster

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 03:34:43 pm    Post subject:

Acctualy, this is not a dead idea, I have been thinking about it, just have not had the time to work on much... I have had alot of issues going on in my life... but I may get back into this project in about a week or two.

Umm... DVD's, I dont think I want to jump into that yet, and Floppy drives have really odd protocols compared to hard drives. I chose a hard drive because of there protocols, and how basic they are.

Last edited by Guest on 31 Aug 2006 03:36:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement