This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. 68k Calculator Basic => TI-BASIC
Josh_W314

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 06:01:32 pm    Post subject:

What are the major differences between 83(+) and 89 BASIC?
I think I'm pretty good at 83(+) BASIC, and i have a little experience programming in tigcc. I bought a TI89 HW2 for calculus and programming, and I don't have any desire to program anything complex in 89 BASIC, just some math functions, and pong if I'm feeling really ambitious. Thanks in advance for any help.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 06:07:45 pm    Post subject:

Very well structured? Much better graphics commands and stuff. Much more powerful I guess overall

I have HW3: Ti-89Ti

Last edited by Guest on 14 Dec 2005 06:08:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 06:20:16 pm    Post subject:

There's lots of differences between the 83(+) and 89; for a comprehensive knowledge of both, you have to relearn to program it almost from the start. Apart from the various syntax and command names, which you can always look up in the catalog, there's:

Long variable names. Variable names can be up to 8 characters, and almost any unreserved combination of letters and numbers. Case doesn't matter.

Programs vs. Functions, a distinction which doesn't exist on the 83+. Both programs and functions can accept arguments in a manner such as myprgm(1,2) or myfunc("hello"), or be run without arguments, like myprgm() or myfunc(). Only functions can return output, such as myfunc(x) -> y. The final difference is that functions can't modify (global) variables.

Optimizations. In general, if there's a way to optimize on the 83+, it doesn't work on the 89.

Lists and matrices can contain any mix of any type of variable.

New commands. Too many to describe, so I'll just point you to Try..EndTry, Local, string(), the math functions, and the TI-89 manual.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 06:23:10 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
There's lots of differences between the 83(+) and 89; for a comprehensive knowledge of both, you have to relearn to program it almost from the start. Apart from the various syntax and command names, which you can always look up in the catalog, there's:

Long variable names. Variable names can be up to 8 characters, and almost any unreserved combination of letters and numbers. Case doesn't matter.

Programs vs. Functions, a distinction which doesn't exist on the 83+. Both programs and functions can accept arguments in a manner such as myprgm(1,2) or myfunc("hello"), or be run without arguments, like myprgm() or myfunc(). Only functions can return output, such as myfunc(x) -> y. The final difference is that functions can't modify (global) variables.

Optimizations. In general, if there's a way to optimize on the 83+, it doesn't work on the 89.

Lists and matrices can contain any mix of any type of variable.

New commands. Too many to describe, so I'll just point you to Try..EndTry, Local, string(), the math functions, and the TI-89 manual.
[post="64449"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I'd have to disagree. It's structure is still universally the same as 83+; we're not jumping to ASM here. Then again, you the expert and I'm the one who's been asking a bunch of questions on Ti-89 Basic Topic.

Thanks for telling explaining to me the power of functions. The skinny book wasn't clear as to what a function really was. I thought it was just a compressed program.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 06:33:16 pm    Post subject:

It's structure is the same overall, but there's so many little things... you have to read the whole manual over again, and the coding style is much closer to "normal" programming than on the TI-83+ (which doesn't even really support recursion).
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Dec 2005 06:46:57 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
It's structure is the same overall, but there's so many little things... you have to read the whole manual over again, and the coding style is much closer to "normal" programming than on the TI-83+ (which doesn't even really support recursion).
[post="64453"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

It somewhat reminds me of C. All the function stuff and defined subprograms. So much easier than using labels and loops to get stuff done.
Josh_W314

Posted: 16 Dec 2005 09:35:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Neutral The WHOLE manual? I program just fine on the 83 with only having read the programming section in its entirety. Does a tutorial exist that is designed to teach an 83 BASIC programmer 89 BASIC? I have read the file from TI that explains the differences between the two calculators, but it did not mention programming, only some stuff about the custom menu, etc.
bukwirm

Posted: 16 Dec 2005 09:45:41 pm    Post subject:

You should be fine for 89 programming if you read the programming section of the manual. You probably should also read the sections on strings, lists, and matrixes, as well as the section on pictures.

Edit: You should read the drawing section too.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Dec 2005 10:57:53 am; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 07:13:16 am    Post subject:

Yup. I had troubles when I programmed before I read the manual. I tried something like setfold(string1), when I should have done setfold(#string1)! Oopsie... Oh, just in case you don't know, '#' converts strings into expressions. Also, I kept using the "If condition Then dowhentrue Else dowhenfalse End" commands instead of "When(condition, returnwhentrue, returnwhenfalse, returnwhenundefined)". And I kept forgetting to close my parenthesis :confused: ! And, I didn't know the ultimate power of the "string(" command. Oh, here is the 89/92+ guide, and here is the 89Ti/V200 guide.

<offtopic>Gah! They changed the TI Site! I can't find my old calc stuff without modifying the URL!</offtopic>
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 02:20:19 pm    Post subject:

They closed the site during my direst hour (actually 5). I was trying to load an OS into my friends calc, but it failed and Ti-OS got messed up and the calculator became an empty shell. Then I realized the OS was actually older than his current one so I went to TI's site to find the newest one but they were closed. It turns out that there was one stored in the same folder as Ti-Connect, so I tried loading that OS (1.1Cool in. That's when I found out how badly damaged his link port was. The reason why it failed the first time was the linkport just moved a little and it disrupted data transfer. I had to hold his calc upside down and jam the cable into his I/O port and hold it for what seemed like 10 minutes to get the OS in. It took me aobut 30 tries in the course of 5 hours over night. I didn't get any sleep!

Ya, I should be reading the online version of the manual but I'm not. All this school work is killing me. Might as well continue learning C, though it really killed my brain more than z80 ASM the first time.
Josh_W314

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 05:45:39 pm    Post subject:

So, I am assuming the manual IAmACalculator linked to is longer/better than the skinny one that came with my 89?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Dec 2005 06:49:49 pm    Post subject:

Much MUCH better! I just wish I didn't have to stare at a computer screen to read it all the time. btw, I gave up trying to put ASMin28 on my calc. It was too big.

How much is an e-book reader anyways? I'd like ASMin28 on that if I could get one. And I don't want to pay for a print version of the thick 89Ti guide.
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 Dec 2005 06:17:12 am    Post subject:

Well, you could print it off... Yeah, right... I thought the 89's manual was about triple the size of the calc. Of course, the 89Ti's is pretty worthless. You could buy the full one from TI for $20, but I don't think most people would spend $20 on something they can download easily from the same site.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Dec 2005 04:59:53 pm    Post subject:

But costs so much ink, toner, and printer paper to print it out yourself. Perhaps I'll order one in the future. For now, I'm okay... I think.

Who says a 89Ti is worthless? I like mine, but I don't know how HW3 will impact greyscale capabilities? What exactly does HW3 Patch do?
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 Dec 2005 06:04:11 pm    Post subject:

HW3patch Manual wrote:
Q: What is the HW3Patch?
A: It is a program which modifies TI's Advanced Mathematics Software operating
system in a way which allows memory-resident programs (TSRs), dynamically-
linked libraries (DLLs), nested function trampolines and similar constructs
to run.

It patches your TI-89Ti and allows it to run some 89 programs not compatible before. However, you can't send the patched OS to someone else's calc. You need to reinstall it first. It also fixes "ASAP or exec string too long" error, which was caused by the AMS's ASM program size limitation (I think that TI figured that anything big enough to run into this problem was a game).

Greyscale has always worked fine for me on my 89Ti. If something doesn't work, I just Ghostbuster it, and then it works. Sometimes I am required to Super Start PPGs directly if the launcher doesn't work (e.g. Calcrogue). PreOs helps compatibility with Kernel programs, and fixes the "ASAP or exec string too long" error too...

I love my 89Ti, and it is not at all worthless.

I really wish someone would port the 89 manual to e-book format. This can be done with the TICT e-book converter in the TIGCC Tools Suite. I'd do it myself, but I'd have to do something about all the graphical stuff in the manual...
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Dec 2005 06:51:41 pm    Post subject:

I wish all guides could fit on calc.

So do I just have to load HW3 Patch onto my 89Ti? And is it safe, considering Ti didn't make it?
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 Dec 2005 07:09:26 pm    Post subject:

Yes. Just load it and run it. And as for its safety,
HW3Patch Manual wrote:
Q: Will you release the source code of HW3Patch?
A: No, sorry. I MIGHT send it to trusted people who give me really good reasons
why this might be a good idea, but generally the answer will be "no". The
reason for this is that the methods for disabling the FlashROM and I/O port
protection are a closely-guarded secret, because that protection is the only
one stopping you from writing a program which makes the calculator
PERMANENTLY UNBOOTABLE.
Q: Is the HW3Patch dangerous?
A: There is always a risk involved with disabling the FlashROM and I/O port
protection, but I really do NOT think the HW3Patch is going to harm your
calculator in any way. However, please keep in mind that this is NOT a
legally binding promise, and that I can IN NO EVENT be held legally
responsible for any type of damage (see the license terms).

So if it were sloppily programmed, then it would very possibly destroy your calculator forever, but this is Kevin Kofler we're talking about. If you trust his programming to not destroy everything, go right ahead. I have it on mine, and I've never heard of any problems. If there WAS a problem, and it ruined someone's calc, it most likely would have been Kevin's, and thus, have never been released. If it wasn't, everyone would have heard about it by now.

To be a little more detailed in the OS upgrades part I mentioned earlier (forgot about this before),
HW3Patch Manual wrote:
Q: After running the HW3Patch, can I still send my copy of AMS to another
calculator?
A: NO, UNLESS you are using the TIB Receiver on the receiving calculator. You
CAN however RECEIVE an AMS update, and doing so will uninstall the HW3Patch
and allow you to send your copy of AMS again (until you run HW3Patch again).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement