This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 05:00:45 pm    Post subject:

My freind chalanged me to a game making contest where graphics are not being rated, in other words while your alowed to have graphics you're incouraged to make menu based.

So here's my game so far in the simplest terms:

Under your father as emperor the nation Glethree fell apart. Your trying to conquer the rebel states.

You can tax your citzens but discontent/revolt meter rises and the people that you can possibly recruit lowers.

When you recruit you have to pay a certain ammount of gold based on the type of training you give them:
1. Foot soldeir
2. Archer
3. Cavalry

There can be revolts if the revolt meter gets to high, random demons or animals may attack the nation. Etc.

What I'm having trouble with is a all stradegy combat system that is 100% skill/stradegy and zero percent luck with a somewhat easy to prgram artificial inteligance. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Dec 2005 08:43:51 pm    Post subject:

Sounds fun. You should add graphics later on.

BASIC (as in foundational/simple) Strategy for:
1.) Foot Soldier: Close in on a target and relentlessly attack
2.) Archer: Stay as far away as possible from enemies while still be able to shoot.
3.) Cavalry: Close in, attack once, then run away.

I actually already have an engine for this, but it's movement piece is really slow because it was written back when I was stupid and didn't know UTI existed. It's lost somewhere on my computer. If you can, you should go with a map and ASCII characters for graphics. It's more obviously strategical than a text only game.

Just my opinion :biggrin:
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Dec 2005 10:14:25 pm    Post subject:

I might do basic graphics just to alow people to keep track of character placement but basically I want it to work like a board game during combat, but a simple one so i can make easy AI.

I still have no idea about how the combat system will accually work and that is really what i'm asking for help with.

Yay! I got a new TI today because my old one broke.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Dec 2005 10:18:52 pm    Post subject:

Super Speler wrote:
I might do basic graphics just to alow people to keep track of character placement but basically I want it to work like a board game during combat, but a simple one so i can make easy AI.

That's what I was saying. I wasn't suggesting you did isometric tiling like in FFTactics.

Quote:
I still have no idea about how the combat system will accually work and that is really what i'm asking for help with.

Like do you want a system for damage and stats? Why don't you look at existing games and derive combat systems from that?

I'd suggest at least attack/range/defense stats. Speed stats might also be important. But I'm treating this too much like a Tactical RPG.

edit: There is a guy, called TORM3N7AN who is working on a game called Polis. He's only 5% done but he might have some good guidelines for what you are thinking of. I think that's his IM, usually hangs around MC.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Dec 2005 10:20:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lunar Wolf Demon

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 08:58:55 am    Post subject:

In case anyone of you wants to know,I'm the one super speler is competing against with my game Nanospace.I just got asm learning kits and I'll share them with him today probably.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 04:40:44 pm    Post subject:

What kind of learning kits?
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Dec 2005 06:45:10 pm    Post subject:

He gave me a ton of stuff to help me learm assembaly. If your reading this thanks Lunar Wolf Demon!
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Dec 2005 05:11:35 pm    Post subject:

Please people untill the combat system is designed nothing else can be done.

Help.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Dec 2005 07:54:25 pm    Post subject:

What do you need help with? Have you decided on ASM or BASIC? Or do you just need a suggestion on the battle system? Why not try to imitate war games you already like?

You should feel free to try to do anything. Failures are always good; I had to learn that the hard way.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Dec 2005 09:35:42 pm    Post subject:

I'm using basic which is my only choice because it's the only calc language I know.

I need help with battle system, and sad to say I havn't really played any menu based war games.

I've decided on 100% menu's because I've never seen it done.

What I need help with is for example: how does charge work and how can I keep a complex range of commands memory efficeint.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Dec 2005 09:28:10 pm    Post subject:

Please!

The game deadline is friday!

At least give some place I might find insperation!
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Dec 2005 09:34:02 pm    Post subject:

Don't tell me, Lunar Wolf Demon's already finished Nanospace
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 20 Dec 2005 05:35:58 pm    Post subject:

No,

But he's getting really close!

C'mon,

Give me something
Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 05:04:37 pm    Post subject:

I may think Nanospace will be better, but fellow programmers come first.

I have included my very first game, a simple unoptimized battle engine. To start, run program BATTLER. Some original names have been changed to avoid copyright conflicts, and there is no readme.

Good luck with your game! Smile

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2005 05:08:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 05:07:28 pm    Post subject:

Wow, this is really COOL!

Good Stuff:
1.) Pretty good for first basic game, much better than any basic game I've ever made.
2.) Unique and fun RPG system.
3.) Really fun to play. Will probably have good replay value.

Areas For Improvement:
1.) Put the tutorial before character creation.
2.) Unique RPG system = not everyone wants to take the time to learn everything. Perhaps offer default characters.
3.) Annoying character generation: The first time I played, I didn't realize there were 13 stats. It took me awhile to input them.
4.) Annoying to cycle all the stats when reviewing.

I can't say anything else about AI, but I assume it is random attack and enemy creation? Well, perhaps you should make extra random strings to describe the use of an attack, that way using the same attack doesn't always seem repetetive.

Overall, I think this is an awesome text based game. Good work Radical Pi, but I'm sure you've already moved onto bigger an better things (such as graphics in ASM :biggrin:). I'm not that good at 83+ Basic, so I can't really help you improve some of the menu stuff. Still, I'm pretty sure you're working on something really good now (aka ShadowStorm, yay!! :biggrin:).

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2005 05:27:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 05:56:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I may think Nanospace will be better, but fellow programmers come first.

Radical Pi

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 06:53:37 pm    Post subject:

I don't mean to steal the topic, but

Areas for Improvement Answered:
1.) I thought I should.
2.) I was going to, but I'm sure you know the rush you get when your program is so close to completion.
3 /4.) This was based on a tabletop RPG I was making with a friend. There were originally only wizard, knight, and beastmaster. When new classes were added, it seemed fair to give them stats.
Once ShadowStorm is done, or I get bored of it, The War of ****** will be made into a full RPG (stats condensed to Cool. I'm still not telling the name for copyright reasons. Razz

Super Speler, I'm sorry about that outburst. Nanospace is just a very catchy title, and in it even the Elements are on your side!

Last edited by Guest on 21 Dec 2005 06:56:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 07:01:57 pm    Post subject:

Oh well,

Things are looking up for my game though! Lunar Wolf Demon hasn't programmed a thing since he got battlefront 2 a few days ago!

I've never programmed a sidescroller, but maybe I'll do sidescrollying tactics? Possible?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Dec 2005 08:04:11 pm    Post subject:

If you've already made a text game like Radical Pi's then I think you're ready to move on to Basic graphics. Just remember, outputing an ASCII character and then modifying it is much faster than drawing the whole thing with line comands. I think.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Dec 2005 01:07:05 am    Post subject:

Text( is considerably faster than Line(
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement