This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Community News & Discuss Nspire => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 01:59:56 pm    Post subject:

This game will be a 'mixture' of the red and blue versions (hence the name).

In the begining, you get to choose which version you wish to play as. Once you beat the elite 4, you will then be switched back to the begining, being allowed to keep the pokemon you caught, but losing all your hms (And possibly other items, I haven't gotten that far in the planning... lol)

This game will be written mostly in BASIC, and will use CODEX for some of the simpler asm routines (like archive/unarchive). The only other asm program will be the title screen, which was made in Rig View by spellshaper of Omnimaga.

Some screenshots:

The pics of pallet town were kinda thrown together, so they might look a lil different from the finished ones, but it gives the over all looks of the game... Very Happy
TStach

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 03:11:12 pm    Post subject:

That looks really good for homescreen graphics. Keep up the good work!
axcho

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 03:17:36 pm    Post subject:

I like those ASCII graphics. Maybe you could do the title screen in ASCII too. It has always seemed wasteful to me when people use a pic variable or assembly for their title screen when the rest is on the home screen.

Does the screen scroll? And how are the maps stored?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 05:57:12 pm    Post subject:

It probably does scroll. How are the maps being stored? And how many pokemon are available? How do you store the information for them?

And are there IVs and EVs?

and i really need to become a better pixel and ASCII artist :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 05:58:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 06:38:29 pm    Post subject:

The map data is stored in strings, and no, it currently does not scroll, but that will be a future feature. The reason being, I want to make sure everything else will work with it. :)

The game wouldn't be any good if it scrolled, but didn't play very well/was very buggy now would it? :)

Once the game is complete, all 151 Pokemon will be available.

@axcho: I thought about that, but I also wanted something that looked close to the original logo. It will be a long time before this game is finalized, so the title may very well change as well. I just wanted something really cool for a cool game. Very Happy
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 07:07:59 pm    Post subject:

I thought there were only 150 originals. What's the last one?
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 07:10:41 pm    Post subject:

Mew....and it can be gotten without a game shark, it lives in Lavender Town. I know, I got it.
TStach

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 08:54:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The game wouldn't be any good if it scrolled, but didn't play very well/was very buggy now would it? smile.gif

Acctually, that's not true at all. I can think of some ways (using just pure BASIC) to create a routine like that. Think of something like this: you have a string and you only want part of it to go on the screen. All you have to do is use sub(string, 16, offset) with a 8 loops and you'll be good. Obviously, with an assembly routine it could be done even quicker if you're worried about speed.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Dec 2005 08:55:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 09:26:39 pm    Post subject:

wait, when you mean, scrolling, you mean your guy is walking i the center while the background moves with it? Zelda games would be an example of not scrolling right? and pokemon is?
TStach

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 11:11:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
wait, when you mean, scrolling, you mean your guy is walking i the center while the background moves with it? Zelda games would be an example of not scrolling right? and pokemon is?

No, both scroll, they're just use different techniques. Zelda waits for the character to collide with the boundaries on the screen whereas Pokemon always has the character in the center. The code that I suggested above would probably better for the former.
d4vz

Posted: 01 Dec 2005 11:34:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Acctually, that's not true at all. I can think of some ways (using just pure BASIC) to create a routine like that. Think of something like this: you have a string and you only want part of it to go on the screen. All you have to do is use sub(string, 16, offset) with a 8 loops and you'll be good. Obviously, with an assembly routine it could be done even quicker if you're worried about speed.

I think he meant that a sucky game that scrolls is still sucky; scrolling can be implemeted into an already-working game, and he wants the game to work more than he wants the game to scroll at this point Wink .
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 02 Dec 2005 11:57:48 am    Post subject:

Yes, that is right, I just want it to work, and then once it is implemented, CDI from Omnimaga says he will assist in makin the scrollin part work. :)

But for now, I just want a game that works, and works well. Once everything is ironed out, then I can add the cool scrolling...
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 04 Jan 2006 09:53:43 pm    Post subject:

It has been a while since I posted, but there has been a demo of the game released. :)

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/382/38297.html

I already know about the slow loading, I will be working on that soon. And it seems that pressing 2nd near the boundaries of the screen causes an error, that will be fixed in the next beta. Let me know what you think of it so far. Very Happy
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Jan 2006 09:57:38 pm    Post subject:

Glad to hear you're still working on it.

does anybody even know what IVs and EVs are?
CompWiz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 05 Jan 2006 12:30:01 am    Post subject:

would it be possible to put the game into fewer files? It's really a pain to unarchive and rearchive all the files each time I use it.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 05 Jan 2006 11:52:23 am    Post subject:

Maybe once Resource is integrated into the game, I will be able to, but it will still have a lot of files to deal with, once the game is complete. Smile
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jan 2006 04:46:32 pm    Post subject:

I think you should use one of the scrolling routines we've been working at Cemetech.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 05 Jan 2006 09:11:43 pm    Post subject:

Maybe once the biggest part of it is done, Or make it a special version, with a bunch of other features...
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 11:09:12 am    Post subject:

Ok, Resource has been integrated into the game, I built a text displaying routine with variable speed, just like the original game, and I found this little program: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/303/30341.html

This will help keep errors for lists that do not exist... :)

I am hoping to be able to release a new beta in a few weeks, with an intro, being able to go inside the houses/buildings, and maybe able to get and fight pokemon. Smile
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Jan 2006 11:12:55 am    Post subject:

cool i hope this will be helpful for your programming Smile
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement