This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Raster

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 10:06:48 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
What I'm trying to say is, just because IF your theory is true THEN the mercury will move to the center, doesn't mean that IF the mercury moves to the center THEN the theory is true. The current theory of gravity also says the mercury will move to the center.
[post="62512"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Please give me a link on the current theory of gravity, I havent been able to find anything about it.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 10:28:49 pm    Post subject:

Hah. Which one?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 10:31:35 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
What I'm trying to say is, just because IF your theory is true THEN the mercury will move to the center, doesn't mean that IF the mercury moves to the center THEN the theory is true. The current theory of gravity also says the mercury will move to the center.
[post="62512"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Modus Ponens:
if p, then q
p
therefore q

Modus Tollens:
if p, then q
~q (not q)
therefore ~p (not P)

Put simply, laws of logic state that just because the conclusion of an if/then statement (the then) is true, it does not mean the if part (the hypothesis) is true. But if the conclusion is not true, then the hypothesis is not true.

I think that's wut Darkerline is trying to say about your experiment. All it show is the law of gravity, but not the theory that explains why it occurs. Just because particles are attracted to each other, doesn't mean it's the strong force (which btw doesn't affect anything past the radius of 3 angstroms? i think that's what it was. either way, it doesn't affect anything past the Electron Cloud)

edit: go to this site the Onion and you'll realize how arguing about gravity is very... i duno

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 10:33:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 27 Nov 2005 10:33:11 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
9.8 m/sec², according to the TI-83 Plus manual, but that's simply a measure of the gravitational force of the Earth.
Geniuses like Einstein come about through many subtle factors, but hard work usually turns out to be the big one.
[post="62505"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

9.8 m/s² is simply the average acceleration felt by mass close to the surface of the earth. The Gravitational Constant is 6.67x10^-11 N*m²/kg². This is part of Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation (I think that's what it's called) F = G*m1*m2/r² where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects involved and r is the distance between the center of masses for the two objects. (I'm sure there are situations where this doesn't apply, but I don't know of any.)

Genius really is a lot of work. Quite a bit, in fact.

Edit: Out of curiosity, Raster, what started you on this line of thinking?

Last edited by Guest on 27 Nov 2005 10:37:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 12:24:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
He is a noble gas, so it is stable, and doesnt need to share any electrons.
Oh yeah... I must have been thinking of Oxygen.
MathStuf

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 12:52:40 am    Post subject:

Okay, to start, there could never had been Nothing. Just try to think of Nothing, you fall short because it's impossible to have. There always has been the fabric of spacetime (with its 10 dimentions and time). Now, one idea I had was that the most fundumental way for spacetime to exist is with all of the dimentions curled up. Now, if, through quatum jitters, the fundumental constituents of space and time come together to form an inflaton field (no mispelling), I think that the dimentions would explode into expanded ones (our three), leaving the rest curled up. The energy of the inflaton field would determine how many dimentions get expanded, making the fundumental constituents "morph" into the particles we see today. The creation of the inflaton field would be considered the Big Bang.

And on a side note, gravity only acts as if it were a well in spacetime. And because, according to string theory, it is made of closed loops and the other three carriers are open loops, the open loops could have, at one point with hot enough temperatures, been the same thing. Also, there is the Electroweak theory that at about 10^18 Kelvin, the two forces were one in the same. At an even higher temperature, the strong force may have joined in on the fun as well.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 03:54:32 am    Post subject:

Assuming, of course, that String Theory is correct.
MathStuf

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 12:13:48 pm    Post subject:

It has not come up against any show-stopping arguments yet.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 02:21:02 pm    Post subject:

That doesn't mean anything. Just because it hasn't been found doesn't mean it's not there.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 02:52:00 pm    Post subject:

"Big Bang" isn't really a great name for it, because there was no explosion of any kind. The big bang was the rapid energetic expansion of spacetime from infinite smallness.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 03:01:12 pm    Post subject:

dictionary wrote:
ex·plo·sion Audio pronunciation of "explosion" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (k-splzhn)
n.

1. A release of mechanical, chemical, or nuclear energy in a sudden and often violent manner with the generation of high temperature and usually with the release of gases.
      2. A violent bursting as a result of internal pressure.
      3. The loud, sharp sound made as a result of either of these actions.
2. A sudden, often vehement outburst: an explosion of rage.
3. A sudden, great increase: a population explosion; the explosion of illegal drug use.
4. Linguistics. See plosion.

I think that applies to the Big Bang theory.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Nov 2005 07:51:44 pm    Post subject:

@mathstuf: I though string theory said there were 11 dimensions. Ironically, 11 is 3 in binary.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 01:33:43 am    Post subject:

From what I've read, that is so. The universe supposedly has 11 dimensions. Whether that's 10 spatial and one time, I'm really not too sure. I haven't researched much on the theory. From what I have read, though, it would seem that these extra dimensions are simply from physicists trying to make their equations work. A little ridiculous, if you ask me.

I'm just going to wait until there are more facts supporting String Theory before I really look into the subject. (Yes, I am incredibly biased in the matter, if you couldn't tell.)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 02:07:04 am    Post subject:

I've heard off several versions of String Theory, some with as many as 16 dimensions.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Nov 2005 02:07:28 am; edited 1 time in total
MathStuf

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 06:27:33 pm    Post subject:

There are 10 spatial and one time dimention calculated to exist by string theory.
Here's a link: http://superstringtheory.com/index.html
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 06:31:49 pm    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
From what I've read, that is so.  The universe supposedly has 11 dimensions.  Whether that's 10 spatial and one time, I'm really not too sure.  I haven't researched much on the theory.  From what I have read, though, it would seem that these extra dimensions are simply from physicists trying to make their equations work.  A little ridiculous, if you ask me.

I'm just going to wait until there are more facts supporting String Theory before I really look into the subject.  (Yes, I am incredibly biased in the matter, if you couldn't tell.)
[post="62594"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just because we can't percieve a dimension doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Ant live their whole lives crawling on PLANES. They don't really need to think about up or down, just forward, back, left, right (okay bad example) but there are probably creatures out there who live but really don't percieve dimension. They just function without that knowledge
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 08:28:07 pm    Post subject:

Indeed. But I'm going to need something a little more definite than "it makes our equations work" before I accept String Theory's new dimensions.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 08:34:20 pm    Post subject:

You can call almost anything a dimension. A robot arm which has six degrees of freedom might be said to move in six dimensions.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 08:34:56 pm    Post subject:

why do we contemplate the universe anyways?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Nov 2005 08:40:57 pm    Post subject:

Because we want to know how the world we live in works.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement