This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Math and Science => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 05:25:05 pm    Post subject:

After much personal debate as to whether this should go in Open Topic or in
here, I concluded that math principally overrules, so... Hey, check this out! :biggrin:

Truchet Tiling Automata

My high score is 2516. Can you beat mine? After some time, I'll even post the screenshot here to show how I did it. I had acquired this score once before without recording my approach, and yet was able to recreate the board layout to receive the same point value, readying it for a screenshot. So, yes, there is logic involved. Good luck! Smile

Last edited by Guest on 21 Nov 2005 08:44:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 05:42:33 pm    Post subject:

My high score was 905 by choosing randomly.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 05:48:49 pm    Post subject:

Alas, my high score (with a strategy) was only 2484. Once, I got 1748 randomly.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 08:44:09 pm    Post subject:

1178. I'm too fascinated by trying to get them all going the same direction to start going for strategy.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Nov 2005 08:48:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 08:45:51 pm    Post subject:

By facing them all the same direction, you're halfway there.</hint> Smile
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 08:51:06 pm    Post subject:

I'm fairly sure you have to set up one of the rows/columns as a 'seed' row, and have all the others facing the same direction. It takes too long to test though.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 08:56:27 pm    Post subject:

I was able to obtain 1020 points in that manner, but then I thought of an even better solution.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2005 09:06:27 pm    Post subject:

I had them in columns, every other one facing the same direction. I must have done something different for the trigger row, though.

Edit: I've also (accidentally, I must admit - I clicked a wrong tile) created a very slow reaction (one or two moving tiles every time) that lasted over 900 turns. Quite interesting. What's coolest about it is that after it's done the board is set up to do the same thing over again - immediately.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Nov 2005 09:36:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 09:20:54 pm    Post subject:

The setup is imperative, but the orientation is important, too. Because the tiles rotate clockwise, the initial direction of the seed could change the outcome by as much as a thousand points.

DarkerLine, record the result! The director of mathpuzzle.com wondered about the possibility of a "life-like" pattern, which I assume means interminable. Your setup could offer a clue.

[EDIT]

Okay, unless you haven't played around with the game yet, you can click here for my solution.

Last edited by Guest on 24 Nov 2005 11:49:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Nov 2005 09:38:14 pm    Post subject:

I wish I remembered how I did it.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 05:06:12 am    Post subject:

i got 2044 while trying to make Supergoose's thing. I didn't finish his set up (or even properly started it for that matter) but i got a good score anyway.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 11:36:54 am    Post subject:

I got 2540 with what I thought was Supergoose's setup. Unless he mistyped his score before, I must have made some mistake. If I did, I believe I'm in the lead. :biggrin:

And DarkerLine, it'd be great if you could arrange a nearby column or something so your reaction would start itself again. I've been wondering if it would be possible to create an endless loop. Talk about points. :biggrin:

Spyderbyte

Last edited by Guest on 23 Nov 2005 11:39:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 12:38:22 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Unless he mistyped his score before, I must have made some mistake.
My score in the corner was taken from a screenshot, because I didn't have the font for it. Smile
I once again got a score of 2516, so your point increase seems to be from a different layout.

There is a way to perform a perfect diagonal sweep such that the number of x-steps equals the number of y-steps.
There is also a way to set off every tile one row at a time. I wonder if the latter can prepare and trigger the former.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 01:18:54 pm    Post subject:

Of course I didn't think to take a screenshot before it started, all I have is what it looked like when it finished.

However, I tried a few more times, and I'm pretty sure I got different scores with the same setup.

and

Weird.

(And when I referred to your typed score, I meant in one of your earlier posts. I'd forgotten that you also had it on your screenshot.)

Spyderbyte

Last edited by Guest on 23 Nov 2005 01:22:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Nov 2005 03:16:50 pm    Post subject:

Supergoose wrote:
DarkerLine, record the result! The director of mathpuzzle.com wondered about the possibility of a "life-like" pattern, which I assume means interminable. Your setup could offer a clue.[post="62242"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I'm pretty sure that no setup on a finite board with corners (this means any rectangle) can result in an infinite chain reaction. It's obvious that you can have an infinite reaction on an infinite board. I don't see an obvious proof one way or the other for a finite board without corners (for example, a cylinder).

Last edited by Guest on 23 Nov 2005 03:17:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement